Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have been lurking on these forums for awhile, finally registered a few weeks ago and then FINALLY picked up my FJ this past weekend.

It is a 2012 Trail Teams - 86k miles and in great condition. I live near Denver, CO and I flew down to basically the border and picked her up and drove the 500+ miles home. Here is a pic I snagged on the drive home through NM. I took her out for a quick jaunt up Rampart Range and back down the other day after I got back and that was a fun first easy spin up the mountain. More to come!

Sky Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

So far I have ordered:
  • Victory 4x4 Roof Rack w/light bar cutout
  • Black Oak single row 40" light bar
  • Black Oak pod lights (2)
  • Coastal Offroad high clearance bumper
  • Short antenna
  • Hood decal
  • Black out decals for FJ Cruiser emblems
  • New headlight bulbs
I also have an appointment to get her tinted and then go talk to the local 4x4 shop about a suspension build before throwing on new wheels and 35's.

This is not my daily driver and the sole reason I got this was to enjoy the Colorado mountains since my other cars aren't ideal for that. I plan to do a good bit of camping and exploring and eventually more overlanding style adventuring. Looking at a roof top tent and some other goodies for the spring.

Glad to be a part of the community! I will do my best to start a build thread and keep it updated.

·
17,001 Posts
World Organism Art Font Tree

Reactions: BOBTAILFJ

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Great start, and essentially a clean blank slate. 2012 model year may be the most reliable of the later FJs because they don't have the complex secondary air injection system that was added for the '13 and '14 models.

A few thoughts:
1. Going to 35" tires will require re-gearing of both differentials ($$$), cutting off a good portion of the front body mounts, and possibly other suspension mods to get clearance and proper steering geometry; are you going for essential rock-climbing clearance, or just a bad-azz look? 35s will substantially increase the effective final-drive gear ratio and with the significant power loss above 10,000 feet, you will really feel the power loss without re-gearing.
2. The hood decal will deteriorate (cracking and crazing) after a few years and be a bItch to get off, and may leave the paint that was underneath a slightly different color than the surrounding paint.
3. The shorty antenna may look cool, but the OEM antenna is a tuned length for optimal reception and the general consensus is that the short antennas severely reduce signal strength and the number of stations you can receive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great start, and essentially a clean blank slate. 2012 model year may be the most reliable of the later FJs because they don't have the complex secondary air injection system that was added for the '13 and '14 models.

A few thoughts:
1. Going to 35" tires will require re-gearing of both differentials ($$$), cutting off a good portion of the front body mounts, and possibly other suspension mods to get clearance and proper steering geometry; are you going for essential rock-climbing clearance, or just a bad-azz look? 35s will substantially increase the effective final-drive gear ratio and with the significant power loss above 10,000 feet, you will really feel the power loss without re-gearing.
2. The hood decal will deteriorate (cracking and crazing) after a few years and be a bItch to get off, and may leave the paint that was underneath a slightly different color than the surrounding paint.
3. The shorty antenna may look cool, but the OEM antenna is a tuned length for optimal reception and the general consensus is that the short antennas severely reduce signal strength and the number of stations you can receive.
1) I have a decent understanding of all of this - and that is part of the suspension build discussion I am going to have is regearing and if its worth it. To be fair I won't NEED it...and it is probably more of want. I used to have 35's on my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited and loved them, but it was geared for it. I WILL give this more thought and 33's are an option
2) I will keep this in mind - if I like the look enough maybe I will replace it every so often. I do plan to keep this FJ very long term, so I am less concerned with resale value and more concerned with making it what I want.
3) I don't listen to the radio at all - right now I use the built in BT (which is an awful experience) and plan to upgrade to something that has wireless android auto. Overall, I switched it for the clean look and won't ever use the radio/antenna functionality.

Appreciate the reply!

·
Premium Member
17,100 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
It is a 2012 Trail Teams - 86k miles and in great condition. I live near Denver, CO and I flew down to basically the border and picked her up and drove the 500+ miles home.
If you're on Facebook and want to meet up with other local FJ owners, we have a very large / active club at Colorado FJ Cruisers. I'm one of the founders of the club, I live in Arvada. Hope to see you around!

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
41,670 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Another welcome from Vancouver, BC. Sounds like you're going to build quite the capable vehicle!
Enjoy your FJ, wherever the journey may take you. Al

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome! Picked mine up a few months ago as well, parts still trickling in. Ordered the hood vinyl from crawlorado.com. 3M air release. I come home from deployment in several weeks and I’m going to slap it on. Reasonably priced and local to you.

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
Welcome from Oregon :)

·
Registered
2010TT AT
1,404 Posts
Hi ForJoeyCruiser, welcome from Ohio!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts