Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

M105 Trailer

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SWITAWI 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I am new to the forum so thanks in advance for whatever help I can get on here.

I have a 2010 TT and I was looking at a really nice M105 utility trailer on craigslist. I just have two questions.

1. Is there an electronic conversion that I can do for the trailer/fj?
2. I looked at a few pictures of people towing trailers like this with FJC's and the front of the trailer is tilted down. Does anyone know where I can get a hitch receiver with a lift on it?

Thanks again bros.

'MERICA!

#2 ·
Hey everyone, I am new to the forum so thanks in advance for whatever help I can get on here.

I have a 2010 TT and I was looking at a really nice M105 utility trailer on craigslist. I just have two questions.

1. Is there an electronic conversion that I can do for the trailer/fj?
2. I looked at a few pictures of people towing trailers like this with FJC's and the front of the trailer is tilted down. Does anyone know where I can get a hitch receiver with a lift on it?

Thanks again bros.

'MERICA!

#4 · (Edited)
...I have a 2010 TT and I was looking at a really nice M105 utility trailer on craigslist...
The biggest problem as I see it is that you don't want to pull an M105 to tow behind an FJC.

The M105 is a seriously heavy-duty '1.5-ton' trailer with an empty weight of ~2650lbs that is capable of carrying loads heavier than the FJC itself. So even with that trailer empty you just used up more than half of a stock FJC's rated towing capacity of 4700lbs.

Most of the truck bed-sized converted surplus trailers you see behind an mid-sized 4x4 are going to be the M101 series which is the '3/4-ton' military trailer with an empty weight under 1400lbs. The oldest M101A1s are mostly pretty beat up by now. The M101A2s are a good size/weight, were fitted with a GM HD pickup 8-bolt hub pattern, and they're mostly in much better shape than the early trailers. The last of the series, the M101A3s were fitted with heavier axles and Humvee-matching 37in mud-terrain tires on Hutchinson's 8-bolt military beadlock wheels.

Here's my buddy's M101A3 on the original 37s behind his wife's Explorer when we picked it up...

And behind my FJC...

It tows like a cargo parachute with the canvas up. Rides nice on those behemoth tires when they've only got 35-40psi in them. I got 12mpg pulling it like this, but's still overkill for civilian use and unnecessarily heavy.

A lot of A3 owners swap to a lighter axle setup with electric brakes and matching bolt-pattern hubs so the spare tires can be shared between their truck and trailer.

Check out these guys for some ideas.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/trailers-towing-tech/164105-my-m101a2-camping-trailer.html

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...d-a-Military-trailer-to-build-a-family-hauler

:cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.