Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm Haff, and I'm a modaholic.

I went 7 years since my last mod. That is, until I met... her. I bought her unspoiled and she really was a fine machine. I had no plans to alter anything until she started begging me. "Help me!" she said. "Help me be more. Be what I should be. Be what you want me to be."

I began to seek out fellow modaholics online. It seemed safe in its anonymity, safe to find information without committing, safe just to see how life with her could change. I came across a group of people who are some of the most flagrant modaholics I have ever met. I saw how happy they seemed. I saw the fun they were having with their modded machines, and felt the seduction.

Then I gave in. It was small at first. I bought her a fire extinguisher. I quickly felt she would not be happy unless I gave her a permanent place to keep it. So I modded her. *sob* God help me... I modded her! I added a quickfist mount to her rear in a way I know she never experienced before. But I know she wanted it. She continued to purr anytime I used her, and use her I did.

Once the gate was open I thought "Hey... I can handle it" I slipped again and before I knew it, two more mods. I bought her a shovel and an axe, and of course she needed someplace to keep them, so I gave her the quickfist treatment again. I felt so dirty. I didn't tell anyone what I was doing. I made sure to only do it when nobody else was home so I didn't get caught. Everything was going smoothly, or so it seemed.

It wasn't long before I felt this wasn't enough. I needed more. SHE needed more. I realized that we were hooked, and the best thing to do was to mod with care. No sense modding in a way that kills one or both of us early. So knowing I was likely to try all the different mods out there eventually I decided to be safe. I gave her a whole new electrical path. Oh, I'm not talking about a single wire-run small mod that school kids might get caught doing. No, I gave her a whole new fuse panel. And not just any fuse panel, a nicely covered marine panel. Triggered through a big relay and everything. And just to because I didn't want my mod habit to hurt her, I added some protection. A waterproof circuit breaker just after the battery so I can disconnect the new fuse panel anytime I need.

Turns out I became my own enabler. By giving her this mod (which she seemed to love) it opened the door for some discreet new mods that neither of us had tried before. We added a GPS next. Now we could take our mods into the woods and find our way back out. It provided a way to get to our safe place to enjoy our modding all the more.

Then we tried another new mod, I gave her an XM radio receiver. At least thats what I told myself, but today we can be honest. I didnt do it for her. I did it for me. I even had to ream her a-pillar a bit to get all of the antenna in. I no longer cared who knew. Anyone who saw that tell-tale little black antenna would know. They would point and whisper. Ask their kids to look away. Beware the modaholic.

I quickly moved on to a blantently obvious mod. I bought her some sliders. Trail-gear was more then happy to feed my addiction, even shipping quickly. I began to feel like I was losing my identity behind the mods. Every day I read more online. More showing me what to add, what to change, what to buy.

And then today... I added my latest. I gave her the ability to broadcast. Antenna, Bindi, 75wxst, plus all the cabling needed. While I was abusing her and myself with this mod I even did another one. A second mod at the same time because one just wasn't good enough. I added another 12V outlet. I was now doing two mods at once.

I've only known her for 2 months. My name is Haff... and I am a modaholic.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
i think i can help, would you be able to come to a meeting the 3rd thursday every month plus be willing to take part in a twelve step program?

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
There are no real meetings buddy. Just take care and take care of HER!

Welcome!!!

Kim

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
welcome, I feel your pain!

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I'm UPHILL and I am comfortable with my FJ the way it is. I'm not a modaholic.

:worried: ...is modaholism a disease of denial?

·
Sockless Superstar
11,807 Posts
I'm done.
I'm SO DONE
I've spent enough
I have all that I need
...all that I want.
I am content.
I just am.
...but then
..there is that winch idea I have...

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts
Hi. I'm Steve. (But, you can just call me "Mister LandCruiserSteve sir.")

And, I've been sober and haven't done a mod in nearly . . . .

. . . . two days. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
my friends and family say i have a problem, all i ever talk about is wheeling my fj and reading this forum, i think i need help, i dont want to go cold turkey, just need help prioritizing my life, putting my kids and wife back at #1 where they belong, well my kids anyway,lol

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
If you're looking for help, you're definitely in the WRONG place. :spineyes:

Just a lot of mod enablers here. I hope to soon be a "recovering" modaholic, but I still have a few more things that I need to get for my girl. ;)

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
hi my name is mike,,, i am modding as i am typing this, i have to lay the blame to landcruiser steve recent modding post.. but its ok. i will do another mod tomorrow as soon as i get off work. my wife stays out of the mod room because she knows it is dangerous.. see you on the next mod..:bandit:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts