Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Good work!

Do you think water will collect inside the "compartments" formed by those X-brace reinforcements? You could drill a few small drain holes.

I admire your willingness and ability to fabricate these skids. :bigthumb:
The skid looks great. You saved lots of $$$ doing it this way. How much did the entire thing weigh?
Just a suggestion and I am in no way trying to bash but it looks like there are only 4 bolts holding the whole thing on and none in the front portion under the IFS. If you do any hard core wheeling you might want to put a few more bolts on, rocks can do amazing things to even the strongest skids made.:cheers:
It weighs about 135lbs and I cut about 3/8" notches in all of the corners of those verticle supports and a few on the side so water and mud can drain out :). It also has 9 bolts holding it on, 3 up front, 2 in the middle and 4 in the rear. The last thing I want is this to come off on the trail or worse on the highway.

Would you happen to know the model number of your welder?
It's a lincoln weld pack 100 (#11058) but any of the Lincoln 110volt welders will work great. Just make sure it's rated upto 1/4" material, they make one model I think called the hobbiest that only welds up to 1/8" and won't be strong enough.

Nice job dude..FYI...3m makes some rubberized undercoating that dries good and is paintable..It preserves and protects and sticks well...just food for thought...I use it on alot of stuff..Its 1000 times better than paint. You did a very nice job..
Sounds like great stuff, I'll look into thanks

Oh and I just got back from a weekend at Rausch creek off road park in PA and beat the crap out of this skid. It held up amazing, I purposely try to hit rocks with this and all it did was scratch the paint off it :)

Only real damage, this small dent but you should of seen what the rock looked like after I hit it :)

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
That is amazing work right there. Nice job. Makes me want to go and get me a welder and do the same myself. Using your pictures as a diagram of course.:rocker:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
WOW! Great work. 1/4" steel :eek:

Did you do or plan to mock up anything for the gastank?
As of yet no, I've haven't had many issuses with the gas tank getting ripped or wrecked on the trails (knock on wood :) )
I made new control arms a little while ago which are working awesome
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...847-how-build-your-own-rear-control-arms.html
But the upper and lower mounts where you bolt them in are taking a nasty beating, so this is something I need to address next. I've got a few ideas just need to try them out and go from there, but I will post up the results :bigthumb:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
1/4" steel!?! holy crap those will take a beating! Saw your rear controll arms too. Nice work! Might have to fab up a set myself.:cheers:
Oh they are taking a beating and I'm having fun doing it :)
This is the hardest hit to the skids to date(though it only put a small dent in it), not a good video and the camera guy fell over but you can hear the hit. It shot the front up straight and hit so hard I though the airbags were going to go off, it did break a strut though.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Excellent job! Great looking and very functional set!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
474 Posts
You wouldn't happen to want to put detailed measurements up for us so we could have them fabbed up ourselves? Great job btw. Excellent work.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
You wouldn't happen to want to put detailed measurements up for us so we could have them fabbed up ourselves? Great job btw. Excellent work.
Yeah right I'm taking all those dimension to my grave :fight:
I made a quick sketch with a few dimension but they are so that it blends right into the Demello bumper, they may not work on another style.
I'll have to take a few more measurements of the skid and post up a little sketch.......maybe :p

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yeah right I'm taking all those dimension to my grave :fight:
I made a quick sketch with a few dimension but they are so that it blends right into the Demello bumper, they may not work on another style.
I'll have to take a few more measurements of the skid and post up a little sketch.......maybe :p
Yeah if you're not going to produce them for sale i'm not sure how it would be of benefit you not to share the demiensions. It would sure help us do it yourselfers out though.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Hey Chris,

The skids look great! It will be nice to see them next week. Show and tell.:bigthumb:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.