Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had the "4 lights of death" on for some time & ignored them for a while 'cause it ran OK & it's been an ongoing battle for a while. Plus, for some reason, my ODB reader won't work on the FJ (but does on my minivan). So I finally took it in to Toyota and they tell me it's the MAF sensor and for only $370.00 they'll fix it. I politely declined & called the parts store & replacements are only $100.00. While there I decided to first try that CRC product specifically made to clean the MAF sensor I'd read about here. It took all of 10 minutes to pull off & clean (I have a TRD CAF, which is probably why it got gunked up to begin with), but the lights stayed on. Bummer, looks like I'll have to replace it. Then I read this from DEWFPO:

"When you cleaned the MAF you cleaned the hot wire sensor and not just the intake air temp sensor (looks like an old fashioned match)? They're both in the same plastic housing that you removed."

Of course I had only cleaned the match head looking piece. So I took it back off. At first I didn't see anything but under an illuminated magnifier I could see not one, but 2 of the thinnest looking wires I'd ever seen with little bulges on them. What do you know, more enviro-whackoism inspired sensors! I thought cleaning them might actually destroy them, but I sprayed them anyway. Lo & behold, by the next day, the lights reset! Not only that, but I noticed I SIGNIFICANT increase in mileage AND power :rocker:. I'm usually pretty insensitive to subtle power changes, but this was noticeable 'cause I don't have to downshift as much on the I-15 between San Diego & Loma Linda.

I'm still frosted at the dealer first for shotgunning the part and not cleaning it first, then for charging $370.00 for a 10 minute, $100.00 part replacement.:flame:

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Since the TRD CAI uses a K&N oiled filter, you'll need to clean the MAF more often as the oil tends to gum it up, especially if it is over oiled when cleaned. If you mostly do city driving and low dust, switch to a pro dry filter from aFe. I run the aFe CAI (aFe makes the TRD CAI btw for Toyota) and use the pro dry filter. Easy to clean and doesn't coat the MAF with oil.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I only use the dealership paper filter, but seem to have to clean my MAF at least twice a year.

My MAF seems to pick up deposits early. I blame that on very short trips, town driving, and the fact our climate can dip to -40 in winter

Especially the short trip winter driving, the difference between dirty and clean MAF is easily felt and noticed

I've had my can of CRC "SensorKleen" AKA Mass Air Cleaner in the USA for almost 5 years now. Bought it to use on my Prius, and at the rate I use it should last 5 more years

You don't need that much cleaner. Using the provided straw extension, a 2-3 sec blast into the two hot wires is plenty.

I also clean the TB every fall. May clean twice a year due to deposits, again from extreme short trip use. There really is a difference in how the motor performs when it has a clean MAF and TB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts