Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I have been using the K&N drop in in Nala almost from the start. I also use them in my truck, motorcycle and race karts. I have never had a problem with them or the oil used on them. I clean, then reoil the filter lightly, let the filter sit for about a half an hour, then fill in the lite area's with another lite spray, then I let the filter sit for another half an hour before I apaly a lite coat of filter grease around the seal. Then I install the filter. I check the filter after each off road run and regrease the seal when I install the filter. We have 23,000 miles on the FJ and I have only cleaned the filter once.

Just the way I do things, I could be wrong. one thing for sure, i will be pulling the MAF to take a look at it and clean it if needed.:bandit:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
can someone please post pics of exactly where to clean.....this is somethingthat I would like to keep on periodically as well but dont know where you guys are talking about......please elaborate in more detail(maybe a couple good pics) and how much spray and where to spray exactly.....thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
can someone please post pics of exactly where to clean.....this is somethingthat I would like to keep on periodically as well but dont know where you guys are talking about......please elaborate in more detail(maybe a couple good pics) and how much spray and where to spray exactly.....thanks in advance
Look at Larry's post. He put a circle around the part under the engine cover.:)

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have been using the K&N drop in in Nala almost from the start.
Me too. 27,000 miles later I changed my mind. The Scorpion eats a lot of trail dust and even though the OEM filters are more expensive because they need to be changed far more often, I think the filter without oil is the way I'm going to go.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
So.. let me get this right. If you have to clean your MAF sensor because of dust on it... Where does the dust end up that doesn't get stuck to the MAF sensor?
That was rhetorical.
The K&N filter does not keep dust from entering your motor. The filtering ability is not good enough for dusty conditions. Period
Maybe thats why some people run pre-filters.
Stock is better but not the best either.
You should inspect your intake occasionally for excessive dust. Thats why I pulled the K&N I had and threw it in the garbage.
I havent had a dust issue since I installed the True Flow. My intake is clean . That was my no. 1 reason for installing it

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Can this cause poor gas mileage? I mean, worse that normal...
Yes. No question about it.

The K&N filter does not keep dust from entering your motor. The filtering ability is not good enough for dusty conditions.
I thought that the snorkel would help. I'm sure it will. I have nothing against the CAI's except that they occupy so much SPACE under the hood. I need another few cubic feet of space inside the FJ's hood - to add a compressor, a CAI/pre-filter, and whatever else I come up with. I already have the aux battery and a fuse block on top of the R/F tire well.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
ok....I saw the pic but what I need to know is do you just get to the sensor and spray it off? just basically spray all over and your done?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Larry,
since you have the standard air box set up - you might want to think about the "cyclone pre-cleaner" helps with reducing the dust up into the airbox.
Plus it does not take up a lot of place....

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Larry,
since you have the standard air box set up - you might want to think about the "cyclone pre-cleaner" helps with reducing the dust up into the airbox.
Plus it does not take up a lot of place....

I don't think the cyclone will be possible with the snorkel.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I don't think the cyclone will be possible with the snorkel.
DominicG,
Not sure why not if Larry is still using the standard set up - plugs into the same place.
But then I don't have personal experience...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Me too. 27,000 miles later I changed my mind. The Scorpion eats a lot of trail dust and even though the OEM filters are more expensive because they need to be changed far more often, I think the filter without oil is the way I'm going to go.
Sounds like you are ready for a AEM dry filter my friend!

I did pull my MAFS out and inspect it. There was some fouling, but not much.
So I did clean it and reinstall it.

What most folks don't know about the K&N is that it works better when it's DIRTY at filtering dust. That is why I don't clean it after every run. I like to see one side brown and the other side red. THAT's when it is working at it's best.:bandit:

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
Here you go :

Also, AFE makes a hi-perf. dry filter : Pro Dry S filter # 31-10114.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
ok....I saw the pic but what I need to know is do you just get to the sensor and spray it off? just basically spray all over and your done?
Pull the top cover off of the engine.
Find the sensor.(Under where the circle is)
Use a Philip's screwdriver to remove the two screws holding the sensor in.(AFTER cleaning the entire area so no dirt falls in the hole!)
Pull out the sensor. Careful there is an "O" ring on it. Do not harm the "O" ring.
Look at the sensor, there is a hole in it. THAT IS NOT THE SENSOR!! The sensor looks like a match stick. DO NOT TOUCH IT!!!! oil from your skin could foul it, or you could damage it with your finger! Just get some contact cleaner and spray it WITHOUT using the red straw provided with the cleaner. You will be able to see when it's clean.
Re-install the sensor in the reverse order you took it out. I like to apply a SMALL amount of clean grease on the "O" ring to help it seal better.

Hope this helps, have fun!:)

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I just cleaned mine.. it was dirty! I know the pics are out of focus, but you can see some of the water spray from my pre-snorkel excursions. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I have been using the K&N drop in in Nala almost from the start. I also use them in my truck, motorcycle and race karts. I have never had a problem with them or the oil used on them. I clean, then reoil the filter lightly, let the filter sit for about a half an hour, then fill in the lite area's with another lite spray, then I let the filter sit for another half an hour before I apaly a lite coat of filter grease around the seal. Then I install the filter. I check the filter after each off road run and regrease the seal when I install the filter. We have 23,000 miles on the FJ and I have only cleaned the filter once.

Just the way I do things, I could be wrong. one thing for sure, i will be pulling the MAF to take a look at it and clean it if needed.:bandit:

Dust is the real problem, sometimes the oil but usually just the dust that gets past it. If it hardly see's dirt or see's it by your self where you are not following a large group chances are you will be fine. They work great for hot rods and street rods.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
So.. let me get this right. If you have to clean your MAF sensor because of dust on it... Where does the dust end up that doesn't get stuck to the MAF sensor?
That was rhetorical.
The K&N filter does not keep dust from entering your motor. The filtering ability is not good enough for dusty conditions. Period
Maybe thats why some people run pre-filters.
Stock is better but not the best either.
You should inspect your intake occasionally for excessive dust. Thats why I pulled the K&N I had and threw it in the garbage.
I havent had a dust issue since I installed the True Flow. My intake is clean . That was my no. 1 reason for installing it
It gets to your engine; there are some serious discussions on this and the effects on your engine. I won't pretend I know enough about the internals of the engine and the effects of dirt in it. But I can assume that it's not a good combination.
I did try a drop in Amsoil filter for a while; it did the trick for filtration but coated the inside of the intake tube with oil. I tried different amounts of oil and how long to let it sit. In the end the minimal increase in power and re-useable filter became more trouble than just replacing the filter with a stock one. I kept one for street and one for off road.

I now run an AFE, they make a 7Guard filter that so far I have not been able to get dirt past it. I keep checking but nothing. They also make a paper filter that I believe is oil free and re-useable? I should know this.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Maybe go back to the stock Toyota filter housing and add in the Toyota "cyclone" prefilter?

Here is what the prefilter kept out of my paper filter for 4 hours of Cleghorn

The paper has 1/4" square grid lines for reference.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I run the aFe CAI with the Pro Dry S filter (reusable) and also have the Pro Guard 7 as well which is oiled and what I ran at Cleghorn in the dust.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I don't think I explained it right to Larry, I believe his check engine light was caused by too much dust on the MAF sensor. Oil is a problem as well but his had a lot of dust on the sensor.

The problem occurs because some aftermarket filters are known to have weak seals or even worse very porous filtration. IMO K&N has both depending on model the seal actually leaks too.
I was a huge fan of K&N a long time ago; no one could tell me anything negative about them. But after years of having check engine lights come on in my Tacoma after almost every off road trip. On top of that the TTORA forum it became a very hot topic because a number of other Toyota drivers had the same problem. It became the consensus that the filter was causing the problem.

We should have taken pictures of Larry’s air box pass the filter it was a perfect example of everything that can go wrong with the aftermarket filters. He had dust all the way up to the throttle body and all over the inside of the plastic box. His MAF sensor was coated in dust as well throwing his check engine light.

When I was evolved with the TTORA group we actually had a Tacoma stop running because of his MAF sensor covered in dust. He was running the Full K&N filter unit. I use to carry a can of electronics cleaner with me when I went off road JIC.

I know some people here love there K&N's, I'm sorry these are just my experiences.
We learned this same thing back in the early 90s.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts