Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
this is why i stick with dry filters
After having issues with MAF and TB deposits and my Prius, and now in my FJ, I'm convinced that operation in severe cold weather has the PCV dumping a lot of oily vapor into the intake. Combined with the VVT tricks to "simulate" an EGR valve, in cold weather you *will* have deposits

When my FJ was just a year old, this is how the MAF looked. It's hard to get a good photo of the two hot wires inside, I have a cheap digital camera, and am not at all artsy-fartsy (I always say: less artsy, more fartsy!)

Here is the same MAF after I removed it, and used the proper CRC MAF cleaner. You don't need much cleaner at all, maybe a 2 sec sprtiz inside the tube, and a 1 sec spritz on the IAT bulb

After taking around 27 photos, here is the only one where you can actually see the two hot wires inside the tube

Again, my Prius has similar issues. It uses the same MAF. Here is the Prius MAF after a year of use

A closer view, you can also notice deposits on the TB blade. With the TB blade forced open, underneath were *heavy* deposits

There wasn't much of a driveability change in my Prius before/after cleaning. With the FJ, a very noticeable difference

·
Registered
413 Posts
OK

I am using an aFe OEM replacing filter - with the already prefilter

is this OK or it will damage my MAF as will ?

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
OK

I am using an aFe OEM replacing filter - with the already prefilter

is this OK or it will damage my MAF as will ?
Your MAF should be fine but as Jayman recommends, it's a good idea to check it every so often to make sure it is clean. I'm using the OE Cyclone pre-filter from the 08's & up on my '07 with an Amsoil OE replacement filter and my MAF looked fine at 31K. I sometimes drive through quit a bit of dust and sand. The pre-filter does an amazing job of getting rid of the sand.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
413 Posts
Your MAF should be fine but as Jayman recommends, it's a good idea to check it every so often to make sure it is clean. I'm using the OE Cyclone pre-filter from the 08's & up on my '07 with an Amsoil OE replacement filter and my MAF looked fine at 31K. I sometimes drive through quit a bit of dust and sand. The pre-filter does an amazing job of getting rid of the sand.

DEWFPO
Yes it does in a way you cannot believe until you see by your self

I took the pre-filter out today ( I was cleaning the intek sys )

I inserted water only throw the fan look like front ( not connect to the intek for sure) all the water came out from the little hole in the side where you connect the small cover.

Thanx for the good info I need it :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
123 Posts

DEWFPO
Had a tech at PureTuning tell me that it was a good idea to use a quality MAF sensor cleaner on your sensor everytime you change the oil. He said that was a good interval. It is really no hassle for me(TRD CAI). Two screws and the plug-in. Takes about 3 minutes.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
That is not correct. The sensor that looks like a match stick is the temperature sensor, it reads the incoming air temp. The air flow sensor is in fact down in the holes, it's two very thin sensor wires that are stretched across the opening down there.. These are the platinum hot wires. Do not stick anything down there! The can break real easy, and then you are SOL. Most of the problems with the MAF are these two thin wires getting coated and gummed up... You want to carefully spray MAF cleaner down there and get those wires cleaned. Make sure what ever cleaner you use is an electronics type cleaner, and is rated "plastic safe". Best bet is the CRC MAF cleaner spray that can be found at most auto parts stores. DO NOT USE carb cleaner or brake cleaner.
I noticed that when I got my Unichip programmed at Pure Tuning that the tech used CRC MAF sensor cleaner. He stressed to me not to use anything less than a quality cleaner. He wasn't pushing CRC,but that is what he used to clean mine.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts