Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ORDERED FINALLY!!!

I've been watching this GPS since before christmas. it was introduced then quickly pulled due to software issues/locking up, etc. It's finally been re-introduced and back on the market and mine is on the way!
MSRP is $249 and i got a killer deal at COSTCO.COM for $149!!!!! (including shipping).
i really wanted the model 1500 (touch screen and a few other toys on it) but the 500 will work for me especially at that price!

this gps works with national geographic software which i wanted (and now have to go and buy) and has a slot to upload and load mini-cards. hubby will use if for hunting also.

i'll let you all know how it is when i get it (and hopefully it wont be a POS). has anyone else had this or is planning on getting this gps?

if it doesnt work out i'll look into the garmins again but i've been waiting for 6 months for this unit. yippppp!!:clap:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sweet, let us know how it works out. I'm still sitting on the fence on getting a handheld GPS, and this one looks good if they got the bugs fixed...

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have a Magellan, not sure of the model but it is older. Probably need to update it to a newer model soon.

My works great. My only problem is all of my team mates (Search and Rescue) have Garmin.

So when I am out in the field and forgot how to work a function........I don't have any back up. When one of them has a problem with their Garmin....there are like 20 other experts on hand.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I was watching them too and did not buy due to issues they had...but had a Magellan in past and loved it. I have an old Garmin that is about 7 years old right now so looking for portable replacement that I can use hiking or driving....offroad or streets. Cant wait to hear your review.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update on the magellan triton 500 gps

I returned it! I used it during 1 road trip since i hadnt downloaded or purchased any additional software......the generic roads/highways software that is preloaded is very generic (which i knew already).

the interface and programming was nice and very easy to use....easy to read. I never had any issues with LOCKING UP as with the original units released earlier this year. all in all i really liked the unit except: THE BUTTONS WERE VERY SMALL AND DIFFICULT TO PUSH/MANIPULATE. If it wasnt for the tiny buttons i would have kept it. I will save my money and look into the model #1500 which is touch screen. i've seen and used other magellan touch screen gps units and the magellan triton will be perfect with the touch screen.

so a warning: the buttons are difficult to use and on the road/offroad....its nearly impossible to operate. i'd like to hear other feedback if anyone else has used any of these units.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I don't think it's worth waiting 6 months!!!:simmadown:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Save your money for a rack!!!!Then you can stand on the roof and see where you are.
Bear say's hi!!!!!!
yeah..........thats the direction i'm heading. :) i can use the old wet finger in the air technique, moss on the trees (oh thats right, theres no moss here in san diego...never rains) :) compass, etc

·
Registered
614 Posts

I returned it! I used it during 1 road trip since i hadnt downloaded or purchased any additional software......the generic roads/highways software that is preloaded is very generic (which i knew already).

I wasn't happy at all w/ Magellan Co. (no updates for my Explorist), But today I found a new software that works with Triton and Explorist GPSs.
What's amazing is that is designed for off-roaders with trails!
I purchased a download from their website.
I have not tried it yet. But hopefully it is what I have been waiting for.
I'll keep everyone informed.

·
Full -N- Down
641 Posts

I wasn't happy at all w/ Magellan Co. (no updates for my Explorist), But today I found a new software that works with Triton and Explorist GPSs.
What's amazing is that is designed for off-roaders with trails!
I purchased a download from their website.
I have not tried it yet. But hopefully it is what I have been waiting for.
I'll keep everyone informed.
Is the software from Magellan or a third party? I've got an Explorist and although I like the gps it gets to be a pain to convert topo maps for it because Magellan didn't include them for Alaska, We are one of the 50 states. I heard that there was some topo coverage for Alaska in one of their Canada maps, but don't know which one. I just convert older Magellan topo's of Alaska for use on my Explorist.

I was also thinking about getting the Triton specifically for it's ability to use USGS maps with the 20,000 to 1 scale instead of the more common 100,000 to 1 scale.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Heres the triton 1500... I had the explorist XL before. I really enjoy this GPS far more with all the bells and whistles, and better satellite reading.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I had a Magellan 4200. I returned it after one trip. It just crashed and won't reset.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Well, here's my report on Magellan's new AccuTerra USA software for Triton and Explorist.
This is Magellan's verbage:
"Featured Highlights-
Provides one of the most complete collections of topographic and extensive map and trail data available
Delivers detailed land use polygons that outline Federal, state, and local lands in the contiguous United States and Hawaii
Shows more than one million points of interest that are focused on the outdoor explorer, including trailheads, campgrounds, water sources, and much more.
AccuTerra GPS map data provides one the most complete collections of background maps, trail data, and reference information currently available on mobile devices for off-road and recreation enthusiasts, including trailheads, campgrounds, water sources, and much more.
While you're discovering the great outdoors AccuTerra GPS map data always and accurately tells you where you are and what you are near. This improves decision making and helps ensure a safer journey.
AccuTerra GPS map data is compatible with Magellan GPS Triton and eXplorist units. Download AccuTerra maps and other data to easily find what you're looking for, wherever your trek may take you."

I can not talk for Triton since I don't have one.
But after purchasing the software and loading it on my Explorist 500, I found many of what Magellan claims to be true. But, here are my findings so far:

Pros:
No conversion. Just download (10 mins.), then copy & paste onto your card or directly into your GPS.
No need to call them for registration, serial nos. etc.
Works good, no glitches so far.
Easy to read maps, with points of interest (food, shops, etc.)
Comes with offroad trails. This is neat and the most reason why I got it...I live in the SE, so I checked Tellico and Uwharrie. It shows the trails and others too!
If you're a AAA member you get 15% off.

Cons: UPDATE:
You can purchase the maps by region (8). Or you can buy the whole US, it will cost you much less as a whole.
It does not update your base map (street).
For some reason my GPS is now slower than before (could be because of more that's in the software) but I can live w/it.

For now, this is my input. Can't say more since I just had it for a day.
I hope this helps all of the outdoor enthusiasts out there.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the updates/info. the world of GPS is overwhelming and ever-changing.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
We run a Garmin Legend CX w/ custom TOPO maps + City Select for on-road turn by turn. Hopefully soon we'll get into a Kenwood DNX 8120 in-dash that will use the exact same custom topos.

For handheld, I think the best option for $299 is the Delorme PN-20. If it wasn't for the kenwood in-dash w/topo, I'd go for the Delorme.

We did a comparison in the July issue of FJC Magazine. We found the Triton series to be a little buggy, but maybe w/this new software it'll be a better deal. I hope it works out for everyone ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts