Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted one of these for a long time and finally got one, so I thought I would do a little write up on it. I chose the size of the tent based on pics of the rack and the measurements they have on their website. Baja Rack I don't know if their website just hasn't been updated in a while or what, but it's actually about 55" wide, not 51"

I didn't have any issues removing the stock rack like some people have posted about, and installation was a piece of cake. I had the opportunity to use the rack before putting the RTT on, and it was excellent. I did have some giant hunks of powder coat come off the roof rack with minimal abuse, so next time the tent comes off I will have to hit it up with some paint. I was able to get the RTT up with the assistance of one person. I could probably even figure out some way to do it myself with some 2x4's to help lift. The first thing that became obvious was just how little room there is between the roof and the rack. This is in the back....where there is actually "a lot" of room.
I have seen other posts saying "small hands are helpful". A small child would be more helpful. For one, the t-tracks on the bottom of the tent are about a foot from the side. It was extremely difficult to get the nuts started on the u-bolts. Once I got them started, even with a ratcheting box end wrench, the nylon lock nuts were a super PITA to get on, even if they are a good idea. The u-bolts were designed for a 2" square crossbar. The first thing I will do next time I re-mount it is chop a half inch off the ends.

The Baja rack is advertised as 91" long, but it's overall length is just a little over that. The useable area is not quite 89", and that's if you don't want to use the front or rear tabs.

You can see here that if you use the front tabs for a straight light bar, you wouldn't be able open the tent (at least not how I have it mounted)

I have it far enough forward to still use fourtreks mounts on the rear, and the tabs in the back are still accessible.

I got the small Maggiolina Extreme with an advertised width of 51" Maggiolina Extreme roof top tents for expeditions and off-road
Pretty close I'd say.

This leaves me some leeway on both sides.

And on the other side I have Baja's Awning mounts.

The mounts are excellent and they could be moved out another couple of inches for wider tents.
Overall height while closed is pretty close to advertised.

Mounted

One thing about the tent....I'm not sure what genius thought up this crank.

I bought a 9/16' socket, drilled a hole and put in a pin to replace the crank.

And if you want to be super lazy, like me, you can use a drill and have the tent cranked up in like 6 seconds.:bigthumb:
This particular model has a mini roof rack on top that they say is good for 35 pounds.

I used the t-tracks to mount the TREDs I won at this year's Summit.

Some cool features: a battery powered LED light.

Pockets on both sides

And a cargo net

The mattress was a little firm for a man of my advancing years, so I added 2" of a softer foam on top.
That's all I have so far. :cheers:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Had the same issue with my Tepui tent + Baja Rack: Not enough room to get at the bolts so I sourced some shorter ones. Made a big difference in getting the tent mounted in a reasonable time! Nice setup you have there!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I just mounted a medium Grand Tour on my Baja Flat rack. I had an Eezi-Awn RTT previously and it was easy to mount compared to the Maggi. I sold my ARB awning but still have the Baja Rack awning mounts but removed them because I didn't want to scratch the bottom the tent. Do those mounts come in contact with the bottom of the tent? BTW we have identical FJs!

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I Fix U Up -- I hope you don't me asking, but how tall are you? I have been eyeing the extreme for a while and I want to make sure it js comfortable. Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just mounted a medium Grand Tour on my Baja Flat rack. I had an Eezi-Awn RTT previously and it was easy to mount compared to the Maggi. I sold my ARB awning but still have the Baja Rack awning mounts but removed them because I didn't want to scratch the bottom the tent. Do those mounts come in contact with the bottom of the tent? BTW we have identical FJs!
They do contact the bottom of the tent, but I really doubt it will affect it much. I'll let you know after I do some wheeling and put some miles on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I Fix U Up -- I hope you don't me asking, but how tall are you? I have been eyeing the extreme for a while and I want to make sure it js comfortable. Thanks!
I am 5'9", and the mattress is exactly 6ft. I typically sleep on my side, so I don't have any issues.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
^^^That avatar is AWESOME! Great write up Dan, makes me wanna get one of those

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Plenty of room in my Airlander for two.
Only snag is when the other has to crawl over you to go out the door in the middle of the night.
If I did not run an awning on the left side, I could have an extra ladder so both doors would be usable.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I've had my RTT tear the powder coat off the top of my Baja rack as well. When I repainted it I didn't want to worry about it happening over again so I bought some rolls of felt that is usually used to slide furniture across wooden floors and put it on the aluminum rails on my tent.
Now I can put it on by myself by resting it against the rear tire and then sliding it over the edge of the rack without fear of it scraping the life from everything it touches:lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I need some advice regarding my bajarack and small maggiolina extreme rooftop tent..I just put on my maggiolina extreme (small) rooftop tent on my bajarack..The flat utility rack made for the small size Maggiolina tents.I thought the toughest part was going to be the installation of the brackets underneath.Got all of the nuts threaded on and ready to go.When I was doing a final alignment before tightening down. I realized I couldnot open the latches fully to prepare the tent for opening..The latches would not drop down enough to un hook them selves from the top portion of the shell.Meaning the front 2 latches and the one rear latch....Has anybody experienced the same issues ,and do you have an easy fix solution?... Any posts on this matter would be greatly appreciated..Thanks Much...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts