Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
I need some advice regarding my bajarack and small maggiolina extreme rooftop tent..I just put on my maggiolina extreme (small) rooftop tent on my bajarack..The flat utility rack made for the small size Maggiolina tents.I thought the toughest part was going to be the installation of the brackets underneath.Got all of the nuts threaded on and ready to go.When I was doing a final alignment before tightening down. I realized I couldnot open the latches fully to prepare the tent for opening..The latches would not drop down enough to un hook them selves from the top portion of the shell.Meaning the front 2 latches and the one rear latch....Has anybody experienced the same issues ,and do you have an easy fix solution?... Any posts on this matter would be greatly appreciated..Thanks Much...
Thanks Chumley for posting my link.
Yeah, had to have the dealer cut down my front two latches.
Was not to pleased about that, but it all works good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I simply positioned mine (front to rear) in precisely the right spot that they will unlatch completely. If you notice, the hinges are exactly on top of one of the crossbars in the front.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Yeah, I had one of the first batch of the now discontinued MG "Maggiolina tent" racks, and there was a bar there that could have been cut, but it might have sacrificed some of the racks strength.
Repositioning my tent would have made no difference.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Thanks... I'm just beginning to look into these.

·
Registered
28 Posts
these things are awesome, i plan on getting one with the baja rack also, is there room in the rear to mount some gas cans?

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I have wanted one of these for a long time and finally got one, so I thought I would do a little write up on it. I chose the size of the tent based on pics of the rack and the measurements they have on their website. Baja Rack I don't know if their website just hasn't been updated in a while or what, but it's actually about 55" wide, not 51"...
Not sure if anyone noted this in the thread yet, but there are TWO versions of the basic Bajarack Utility Rack.

BR-TYFJ-UT-S Bajarack ALL FLAT UTILITY RACK for FJ Cruiser BR-TYFJ-UT-S
Flat area: 51" wide x 87" long.
Rack weighs 40lbs.

BR-TYFJ-UT-M Bajarack ALL FLAT UTILITY RACK for FJ Cruiser xxxl BR-TYFJ-UT-M
Flat area: 55" wide x 87" long.
Rack weighs 70lbs.

Obviously the OP has the -M version which is specifically made a little wider and beefier for handling roof top tents.

Of course there is also the BR-TYFJ-UT-SPY for use with LED lightbars, but I am not sure which of the original two designs it is based on. I didn't see any dimensions or weights listed at BajaRack All Flat Utility Rack w/SPY Light System BR-TYFJ-UT-SPY

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
To anyone with a standard length Maggiolina that is 6'1" or taller, can you fit from head to toe stretched out or do you have to bend your legs?

From the specs, and reading other info elsewhere, it seems you need the $3500 XL length if over 5'10? :cheers:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
I have an AutoHome Maggiolina Airt Top Medium. The Roof Top tent is mounted on a BajaRack Utility Rack BR-TYFJ-UT-S-1-0. I had to offset the RTT because of the Rack tubes ( see photos for details). The distance is slightly off center. It does not hurt the function and is barely noticeable. I am 6'1" tall and have no problem with space in the AirTop Medium, there is plenty of room to stretch out and sleep comfortably.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
These are Awesome. I'm looking at the Baja Rack Spy Light and haven't decided on the RTT yet. I like the Maggiolina, still not sure though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
TOM... I also have the BR-TYFJ-UT-S-1-0 rack..I have a small Madge Extreme tent..The back hinge rests on the back crossbar. No problems there.The 2 front hinges basically rest on the crossbar just behind the 7welded areas.In which there are three 3 inch bars . (4of the areas are light tab mounts.)From the drivers side going to the passengers side,the hinges hit on the 2nd welded area(which is the 1st welded tube bar and the 6th welded area,which is the 3rd welded tube bar.In your opinion,(and anybodyelse familiar with the small bajarack).If I removed those two 3in. bars to allow for the hinges to open freely.Do you think I would be damaging the racks strength and integrity in the long term?...Or, because all of the weight is basically behind that area.I would not be creating an illadvised long term issue with the racks overall strength?...Any input on this matter will be greatly appreciated...Thank You .Jim Kelly

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am strongly thinking about the Spy Light version too, I emailed Baja to find out the actual useable space on top for a RTT.. I am wanting to go a Medium Storm Black Air Top as long as the light bar can rotate freely with the RTT on i think i will be getting it...

These are Awesome. I'm looking at the Baja Rack Spy Light and haven't decided on the RTT yet. I like the Maggiolina, still not sure though.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
I am strongly thinking about the Spy Light version too, I emailed Baja to find out the actual useable space on top for a RTT.. I am wanting to go a Medium Storm Black Air Top as long as the light bar can rotate freely with the RTT on i think i will be getting it...
Cool...I'll have to look that one up. I haven't seen that one yet. I want black too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I thought you might be looking for black with your screenname... See this link

AutoHome Maggiolina Air Top

The only issue I have is size, the Baja Sky Light set up is 51" wide and the AirTop Small is 51" the Medium is 57" would that be a bit much having 3 " hang over each side... Maybe I need to get the small after all it will only be me and my girl in it...

What size do other people have on their FJ's?

Cool...I'll have to look that one up. I haven't seen that one yet. I want black too.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
I thought you might be looking for black with your screenname... See this link

AutoHome Maggiolina Air Top

The only issue I have is size, the Baja Sky Light set up is 51" wide and the AirTop Small is 51" the Medium is 57" would that be a bit much having 3 " hang over each side... Maybe I need to get the small after all it will only be me and my girl in it...

What size do other people have on their FJ's?
If you're going to leave the RTT up on the roof 24/7/365 the large will look super awkward. If you aren't going to keep it up there all the time I would definitely get the large!

Autohome sells a hoist that isn't super expensive to mount on the roof of your garage to store and easy mount/unmount it only when you will actually use it.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Thanks Aussie and SmallDog. I really like the hard shell, and ease of setup. I wouldn't be leaving it on all of the time, only when I head West. The FJ will be my new Rescue Truck. The house that I'm in now probably won't fit the FJ in the garage, but I can definitely see a hoist when we get another house.

There is another RTT that I'm considering but I don't have the link on my iPad. I will post it for your thoughts when I am in my office.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Thanks Aussie and SmallDog. I really like the hard shell, and ease of setup. I wouldn't be leaving it on all of the time, only when I head West. The FJ will be my new Rescue Truck. The house that I'm in now probably won't fit the FJ in the garage, but I can definitely see a hoist when we get another house.

There is another RTT that I'm considering but I don't have the link on my iPad. I will post it for your thoughts when I am in my office.
I wonder if it's the front runner Bigfoot RTT? Those are real tempting for less than $2500 shipped. I think it is a clone of the magg because they all come from China anyway. The manufacturer sells them for $2500 or best offer on ebay, and I bet they would take $2200-$2300 shipped. They have a demo or two on their website as well.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
I wonder if it's the front runner Bigfoot RTT? Those are real tempting for less than $2500 shipped. I think it is a clone of the magg because they all come from China anyway. The manufacturer sells them for $2500 or best offer on ebay, and I bet they would take $2200-$2300 shipped. They have a demo or two on their website as well.

No, the Maggiolina is the only hard shell I am considering so far.

I found the link to GordiGear:
Gordigear - Explorer Plus

It's the more common design, but seems to be much bette quality than the other "soft" tents.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I dont plan to keep it on all of the time but i do plan to be a few long range cross country trips and thought the extra 6 inches may not be worth it as it will be quite large on the rack and doing a few thousand miles it may be a hinderance if its not stream line with the FJ...

The other thing is I want to go to places like Moab etc and would the bigger RTT effect my capabilities there too...

I dont know I am just trying to decide I want to buy soonish ready for when it warms up!

The small version is the same length just 6 inches slimmer, I wonder if it really is comfortable enough for 2 in the small version...

If you're going to leave the RTT up on the roof 24/7/365 the large will look super awkward. If you aren't going to keep it up there all the time I would definitely get the large!

Autohome sells a hoist that isn't super expensive to mount on the roof of your garage to store and easy mount/unmount it only when you will actually use it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
the gordiegear looks like it will hold up very well, i have been searching for other soft roof tents specifically the water testing and have not found much besides the material rating for waterproofing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
They do contact the bottom of the tent, but I really doubt it will affect it much. I'll let you know after I do some wheeling and put some miles on.
I_FIX_U_UP any chance you have a few pics of the 55" rack installed on your truck minus the RTT? much appreciated. getting ready to order a rack and don't want any regrets:)

21 - 40 of 49 Posts