Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a thread over on expo on cooksets, and I ran across the Magma stuff.
Top quality stainless, and quite popular with the boating crowd.
This is not light weight stuff like for backpacking, it is heavy duty.

You can get it with Teflon coating, but I stay away from that crap.
Here are two sets on Amazon.

10 piece
Amazon.com: Magma Nestable Stainless Steel Cookware (Set of 10): Sports & Outdoors

7 piece
Amazon.com: Magma Products Professional Series Stainless Steel Nesting Cookware Starter Set (7 Piece): Sports & Outdoors

Read the reviews for both sets, they get excellent reviews.
I bought the 10 piece set, it will be here Saturday.
This will fit my chuckbox very nicely.
Since I am not a weight wienie counting ounces, I appreciate that they are heavy stainless steel.

Did a YouTube search for Magma, and only found one video.
From reading the reviews some said you need to season these?
I did my cast iron stuff, not sure how to do this Magma set, but I am sure the instructions will have into.
I do not keep any oil in my place or chuckbox except for the spray oil, so I may need to get some some if it is required to season these.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My set just came, and I have it all hand washed and air drying.
They say the only seasoning you need to do is just wipe some oil around in the bottom of the pans.

This is a really nice set, probably the nicest set I have owned next to the $800 or so Lustercraft set which was stainless steel I bought back around '85 when married.

The set is a little bigger than I expected, the fry/saute pan is quite deep.
It is nice that it all nests together.
Not sure if it is all going to fit in my chuckbox when nested, I will find out later.
If not, I will just take what I need.

Again, this a a very nice set, much heavier duty than my Revereware I have used for eons both in the home and camping.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New cookset is around 7" high by 10.25" wide not counting the handles on the big outer pot.
Did not add that in since I can turn the pot to slide into the chuckbox.

When Pat built my box, he must have know I would pick up this set later :D
It did not fit the bottom shelf where I had two Revereware sauce pans and the Lodge cast iron skillet, but I was able to swap stuff from the upper shelf to the lower, and the new cookset just slides in on top along with the French press and a few other things.

So it all works out perfectly with my chuckbox and this new set.
Going to try the saute pan this coming weekend with either fried eggs or an omelet to see how it works.
With the cast iron I was able to just tip the pan and fried eggs would roll out.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
That should last for a lifetime. I like your chuckbox. It looks a little heavy though. I use the plastic storage bins with the lockable lids.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, it is home quality that should last a lifetime, and can be passed on down to my sons.

The chuckbox is kind of heavy, but contains everything I need in one piece for cooking and storage.
Fits in the rear of the vehicle pretty good too.
The Powertank is now moved off to the side with one of Mpacs' side racks.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you like the set.

Lacking from my chuckbox is a nice colander.
Most take up a ton of room, but Magma who makes my new cookset I just bought makes one that nests inside and is made to fit the 5 qt pan.
It is around $30, but I really do not need one that big.
Also there is an error on Amazon's site which I emailed them about.
When I was thinking of ordering the Magma colander one earlier this morning, the link for it pulls up what looks like a boat light or something.
Magma Gourmet Nesting Stainless Steel Colander
Is that what you see too when clicking the link for the Magma colander?

I found a nice silicone collapsible one on Amazon that I ordered instead.
Best thing is collapses flat, and you can also steam food with it.
Same price as the Magma one too.

It gets 5 star ratings at Amazon.

OXO Good Grips Silicone Collapsible Colander with Two Handles

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Magma this coming January will be releasing a new set in both stainless or cobalt blue on the outside, and that non stick ceramic coating on the inside.

Going to order a set of the ceramic when they come out to try out also.
Got to try out some of my set last weekend I just bought, very nice stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wrote them the other day to find out more on the newer blue and ceramic interior set will be out, and possibly December.
Here is the link they provided to me.
A10-366-CB

I am really looking forward to this newer set.
Currently using the one I bought a few months ago for in home.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an FYI, the ceramic coated non stick ones are now available, just checked their site.
Not on Amazon yet though...

10 Piece Gourmet “Nesting” Stainless Steel Cookware Set with Ceramica® Non-Stick

10 Piece Gourmet “Nesting” Cobalt Blue Stainless Steel Cookware Set with Ceramica® Non-Stick

Omelet pan is in stainless only, but with the non stick ceramic coating.

Gourmet "Nesting" Stainless Steel Induction Sauté / Omelette Pan with Ceramica® Non-Stick

The stainless on the outside is cheaper than going with the blue ceramic on the outside.

I just placed my order directly with Magma for the kit in stainless on the outside, and the omelet pan.
Will report back later on how easy/hard it is to clean, and if indeed an omelet will cook well in it without leaving a mess.

I am tired of using cast iron for cooking, as my omelets always stick from the cheese and acidity of the tomatoes I put into it.
I have good luck with cast iron though with fried eggs, as they tilt out and fall onto the plate, but I prefer an omelet an day over a fried egg.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is gonna be a long wait, as they just called me to tell me it is not in stock for another week or two.
I asked then why do you have the "Buy" link up.
Nothing ticks me off more than when I place an order on line and it is not in stock.
Put up the text saying they are not in stock for crying out loud.
So I canceled my order, and will place it later either with them, or maybe Amazon will have it in later, and I can get it even quicker with my Prime account.

I will update later when I actually get this set in my hands.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No MREs for me :D
I eat better camping than I do at home.

My set came today, and I washed them in hot soapy water, dried them, and put in a half to full teaspoon of canola oil and rubbed it around.
After that they go into the oven at 300° for one hour.

Info also said there is no need to add any oil to the pots/pans when cooking with them unless you want the flavor of the oil.

Making a tomato and cheese omelet in the morning with the omelet pan, will report back how it worked, and if the omelet rolls out easily, and if there is any mess in the pan afterwards.
Hopefully it will just need to be wiped out with a paper towel.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The results are in, I like this stuff.

First the bad news
I followed the instructions yesternight and washed with soap, rinsed, dried, etc...
Then oiled them up with canola oil and put them in the oven at 300° for an hour.
After I let them cool the insides of all the pans were sticky and bubbly from the oil.

I let them sit overnight and this morning I rewashed all the pans in hot soapy water and scrubbed the heck out of the interior with a nylon pad, and after awhile that sticky stuff all came off.

Now for the good news
Dried them all and set the omelet pan off to the side and whipped up three eggs and cut up a whole tomato and got out the cheese.

I wanted to cook outside on my campstove, but we have a major rain and windstorm going on since yesternight, so I used the kitchen stove.

After the eggs set a bit and stirring up the uncooked egg to the sides, I added the tomato and let the whole thing sit for a few minutes or so, then added the cheese.
I purposely cooked it a little longer than normal to see if anything would stick to the pan, and nada.
Using a plastic spatula the omelet slid around the pan with no sticking at all, and I even put some cheese directly onto the surface instead of on top of the omelet, and it would not stick to the pan.

After the omelet was done it slid out of the pan with ease.
Here are a few pics.

Tasted very good!

A little residue left after sliding out the omelet, but it is not stuck to the pan

After taking a paper towel and swirling it around in the pan, any residue left came right out

Goodbye cast iron, I will not miss your heavy weight or food sticking to you again.

So...even though the instructions called for "seasoning" it before use, if I had to do it all over again I would not.
They call for doing this twice a year, but after my experience trying it, I am not going to do it again.
If you get this Ceramic coated set, try first just washing the pans and then cooking with them.

I am just glad I was able to scrub off all of that bubbly oil that got cooked into the surface.
I will be emailing Magma and let them know of my experience with what happened, and get their thoughts on not seasoning the set at all.
It was a major PITA to scrub off all of that oil.
I was tempted to try and cook the omelet with that sticky coating inside, but I thought the food may have stuck and made a bigger mess, so I am glad I took the time to rewash them all again and scrub that oil off.

I am very satisfied with this set, and will have a field review of it up in my camping gear review threads on the various forums I am on after my first trip out this coming summer.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are welcome.

One guy over on Mud's site suggested putting the pan in the oven upside down as to avoid a sticky goo of polymerized oil.
They did not mention that in the instructions, but it may have helped.
I am ordering another omelet pan today, and will try it out next weekend without seasoning it.

Some additional pictures.

Whole set minus the two lids laid out

All nestled together, and the omelet pan goes underneath the top most pan which is the lid when nested together

You can reuse the packing foam sheets they packed it together when shipped to help protect it when in transport

The one lid seems to have captured three of my guitars on the wall :D
Very shiny lid.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts