Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all from a newbie - while I've been lurking around here since December, I just recently joined the group and have found the mod pictorials to be very informative. So, thought I'd try one myself...in hopes a fellow member may get some benefit from it.

Just this past Saturday, I had a MagnaFlow # 11226 (4" x 9" x 14"; 2-1/2" Offset Inlet; 2-1/2" Centered Outlet [20" L overall]) installed and decided to re-do the tailpipe at the same time. I've never much liked the stock pipe set-up - in fact, it seems to fly in the face of what the FJ is supposed to be all about. [thanx to Corey for the photo below...]

NOTE: The 11226 is reversible for custom installation...

BEFORE:

In the photo below, the inevitable is clearly shown...the stock muffler will eventually get damaged:

It should be noted that an additional 1-1/2 to 2" was removed after the photo below was taken...

* In keeping with the plan to leave in place as much of the original system as possible --- and to avoid the addition of any restrictive compression bends, I had the tech salvage the mandrel bend from the OE pipe...

* While I wasn't able to get the style of hanger I wanted on a Saturday morning, I did have him move the hanger location from outside the frame rail -- using a universal hanger attached to a pre-existing, tapped hole in the underbody...

* Finished off with a stainless, turned down tip...

AFTER:

I felt the tip should have been extended another couple inches, the 'expert' assured me this would be OK...

Muffler no longer hanging below the rear axle...

And there ya have it - total cost, including our 13% sales tax, was $271.56. Muffler was 83.56 and the shop charged me 188 bux to do the install and pipe mods. (included in the 188 was 102 for the s/s tip -- THAT tip is another story, for another day...)

The difference in tone is noticable from the moment you start the engine - please don't allow anyone to tell you that its only loud when you're throttling it. Simply stated, if ya don't like loud - you'd do well to chose another muffler.

Would sure appreciate both your comments and criticism as well...and, please, don't worry about hurtin my feelings. :lol:

Happy Trails...
JD

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
Welcome, and nice post JD65. Any chance of a sound clip?

DEWFPO

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll certainly see what I can do, DEWFPO --- provided you tell me where to go to have the vid hosted!!

very nice! This is especially nice for those of you who have accidently pinched your exhaust pipes closed rock crawling!
And speaking of pinchin pipes, the relocation of the crossover is next on my list of exhaust-related mods.

Thanx...

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
You can use any of the free online hosting sites like Photobucket, YouTube, etc....

DEWFPO

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure, but I think I may have this vid-posting figured out...

Shot Saturday am in the rain, this is not the best of clips. The true sound has NOT been captured. I'll take another later with more emphasis on the growl...

PS: tips on how to cancel the 'maintenance required" lite will be appreciated. [and to the comedians in the crowd: please, don't suggest getting the oil changed...] :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
Sounds pretty darn good.

Re : Maint. Light Reset

Here you go, straight from the manual :

Engine Oil Replacement Reminder Light.

1. Turn the ignition key to the "ACC" or "LOCK" position with the odometer reading showing (not the trip A or B showing).

2. Turn the Ignition key to the "ON" position while holding the trip meter reset knob.

Hold down the knob for at least 5 seconds. The indicator light flashes and the bars displayed disappear gradually. The odometer indicates 000000 and the light goes off.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeah? That simple huh.
Mmmm, don't suppose there's a trick to keepin the odom reading at 00000?
:)
Thanx, DFW

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hey jd welcome aboard and great post!

Your exhaust sounds great!

·
Registered
630 Posts
So far I dont like my 11226.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Drive in rev. & the Odom. will run backward & take the miles off. Ha,Ha,- No kidding, I heard I could do this with my 1966 GTO, never tried it, engine & trans are out now. But someone told me I could do this with this car. ????

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
Drive in rev. & the Odom. will run backward & take the miles off. Ha,Ha,- No kidding, I heard I could do this with my 1966 GTO, never tried it, engine & trans are out now. But someone told me I could do this with this car. ????
The newer cars with electronic odometers don't roll backwards, only the only mechanical, cable driven ones.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE:

Its been nearly 7 months since adding the MAGNAFLOW 11226 and the sound has changed -- for the better. "Throatier"...

Also, I would now highly recommend AGAINST using the aforementioned "universal hanger attached to a pre-existing, tapped hole in the underbody"...

LOL

It quickly started to rattle and in no time at all pulled outta the floor boards altogether. Had a doozy of a hangar attached to the inside of the frame rail instead -- a MUCH better set-up.

And, on a final note...

I may have the bottom of my rear bumper wore near all the way thru, but the tail-pipe ain't touched nuthin yet!!

:)

I continue to believe that this should be the FIRST mod done -- by anyone planning to leave the pavement.

JD

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A year+ later, this MagnaFlow now sounds AWESOME.

And, I have not waivered a bit from my very strong belief that this needs to be the first mod you do - IF you plan to leave the pavement.

Happy Trails...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
This is the same muffler set up I did to my FJ back in 06. It's the best way to go IMHO. I haven't done the tail pipe yet though. You did a nice job on that!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just got mine installed. Definitely a bit louder than I expected, but hopefully it should settle down soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed the Magnaflow #16649 (the 3 piece cat back system) back in Nov 07 when I only had about 2K miles, I now have +125K on my FJ, still sounds awesome when I kick it in. The wife says she can hear me coming when I am 1/3 mile from home!! My only complaint is that the tip didn't hold up the best, a little rust on the lower lip, but with all the driving I do and the nasty winter weather in New England, it is not unexpected.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts