Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I have them and I like them. They have kept a lot of scratches off my ride. The only thing I don't like is storing them. They have to be rolled up perfectly or layed perfectly straight. If you don't do this the shields develop cracks and then you have to go through a process of reapairing these cracks. I didn't take care of them the way I should have and now I have taped all the cracks painted them and they look pretty bad. Actually, the last ride I went on there was multiple people who thought I had a lot of body damage. I put them on this last time without tape and road about 1.5 hrs to the event. I was going around 60mph and I didn't lose one. They serve there purpose and will protect your paint job. If you store them properly they will be fine.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Worth the cash?
Don't you have to wash your rig completly before you put them on? or they will scratch the paint anyways?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think they're worth the price. I have used them several times in areas that would've caused major scratches to my paint. Came out basically unscathed. Some friends who were on the same trips were not as lucky.
I bought them because I wanted to wheel without worrying about my paint.
If you figure that a detail job to get rid of all the scratches probably runs over $100, these shields have already paid for themselves, imo.

Like mentioned earlier, they are sort of a pain to store. After I'm done using mine, they go under the bed. That way they stay flat and out of the way until I'm ready to use them again.

Just make sure the truck is somewhat clean before installing them, and NEVER try to adjust them on the truck by pulling them. Instant scratches, even if the truck is clean.

Bottom line: worth the cash and effort if you want to wheel without trashing your paint.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Had them for 3 months and still havent put them on yet.I got them because alot of places we fish and hunt have some real serious sage brush.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I don't have them... and at the Molina Ghost Run, we went down trails that would scratch a motorcycle... I tried to paint my VooDoo Blue white one branch at a time... Not my initial intention, but now I've got lots and lots of scratches (none to the blue, mostly in the clear coat)... To actually get them out (not including the ones by the windows in the black or on the fender flares... I got quoted around $280 to get them out. Needs to be "color sanded" by someone with LOTS of experience. An orbital won't get them out unless you've been doing it forever... So, if you want a pristine looking rig, stay out of the brush or try the magna shields... But anything not covered will get scratched, and god forbid the magnashield gets caught and drags, I can almost (unofficially of course) guarantee scratches...

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I've had them since they first came out, a little over a year, worth every penny. My paint still looks new. I hit so much brush, the sides of my fj would be primer at this point. As mentioned above, lay these flat for storing. For the application, I make sure the paint is free of mud/sand, quick hose off the day before if needed. The application takes about 45 min, the magnets are quick to install, the taping takes most of time. I hose off the panels before removing them, lay them on the driveway to dry, about 10 min on a sunny day and then store them flat. Don't leave the tape on for more than a few days, it gets harder to remove.

The A-pillar panels won't stay on for more than 1.5hr on the highway, even when completely taped. So just throw those on at the trail head.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My Two Cent's....Love them. They are worth every penny but if you want to loose parts of them don't tape them down. I learned this the hard way. VOO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts