Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

201 - 220 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Oh boy have I got details for you. So my fj at first drove like a raped ape. After a few days I noticed the power was gone. I hooked up the afr gauge and I'm running lean in boost unless I hammer down the throttle. After a lot of research this is what I learned.
how bad is the bully dog? is the acceleration too rough or what?

My FJ is not ready yet, and after reading these, the BD doesn't sound like a good idea anymore.

If the tune is not CARB compliant, is it gonna pass smog test? even for the TRD model? Then I think UCON should be able to pass smog for california too, right (if the tune is like the trd)?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
how bad is the bully dog? is the acceleration too rough or what?

My FJ is not ready yet, and after reading these, the BD doesn't sound like a good idea anymore.

If the tune is not CARB compliant, is it gonna pass smog test? even for the TRD model? Then I think UCON should be able to pass smog for california too, right (if the tune is like the trd)?

Acceleration is crap feels normally aspirated. Whether or not any of the tunes is carb compliant doesn't really matter since there is no dyno test anymore. They only hook up the obd port and read the emission systems. Any of these will pass smog now, I'm in cali too btw.

If I were you just get the dealer flash, there no advantage of the bully dog. Only thing they had going was they told us we could flash back to stock which isn't true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts
Only thing they had going was they told us we could flash back to stock which isn't true.
That was the reason I wanted it for. Glad I found out early.

Got an idea how to ask the dealer to flash it?
I think if I start talking about the FJ supercharger, they might not even know what I am talking about.
and what would i tell them if they say my supercharger isn't from TRD.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Just tell them you have a trd supercharger that needs the ecu flash (ecu calibration id is the specific word) If they say anything when they look tell them it's the same as trd which was built by magnuson just doesn't have the trd logo.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Just tell them you have a trd supercharger that needs the ecu flash (ecu calibration id is the specific word) If they say anything when they look tell them it's the same as trd which was built by magnuson just doesn't have the trd logo.

Do you know what the tuner kit final price was? I'm being told the bd only cost $315.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Take your truck and run it on a dyno to get factual information about how the truck is running. There you will see a wide-band 02 vs RPM as well as torque. You will then definitively know if you are running lean, and how lean. Otherwise, you're throwing darts in the dark. From there you can properly tune a forced induction car.

Unfortunately, this is what happens when you're not 100% sure how these things work and function. This could be a super simple fix, and most likely is.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Somebody is supposed to get back with me. I'll let you know in a few days. They are "transitioning". I guess Tim no longer works for them? "Tim's out" was their words. I'll have an answer and a contact name for you probably this Fri.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Take your truck and run it on a dyno to get factual information about how the truck is running. There you will see a wide-band 02 vs RPM as well as torque. You will then definitively know if you are running lean, and how lean. Otherwise, you're throwing darts in the dark. From there you can properly tune a forced induction car.

Unfortunately, this is what happens when you're not 100% sure how these things work and function. This could be a super simple fix, and most likely is.

Key word properly tune, unfortunately you would need ucon or mapecu3 to do this.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Yeah, you can't tune crap with a bd. It doesn't allow for changes. It's supposed to be the best possible tune for the s/c. I think the biggest problem being the manufacturer putting carb compliance above any other priority including our trucks. Toyota had to warranty our power trains in a lot of cases so emissions took a backseat.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I agree that a standalone ECU is the best option, but I, and many others, have successfully run similar systems for many years (I am referring to similar engine management systems, I do not currently have a supercharger on my truck). I've had track raced cars with less capable systems run extremely well. The key is having accurate information. Without proper wideband AFR you cannot possible get a grasp of what is going on.

My initial thought is that the fuel pump doesn't have enough output and is running lean not because of the engine map, but because the pump isn't flowing enough, or is slow to respond. Walboro fuel pump is much cheaper to replace than an ecu.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I already have a wideband o2, if it was pump related I would be lean at wot as well which is not the case.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Did you ever get installed? How you running?
No... not yet... FJ is still sitting in the body shop. I asked the body shop to work slower on it cuz I need to gather money, about $9000.

And I am still trying to get the repair money from the other insurance (I had liability only). With all the evidence, they still have to manipulate the story to avoid responsibility. Worst case is that I will need to pay for the repair out of pocket, which I am already prepared.

After it gets fixed, I need to "test drive" it and see if there are any hidden problems coming up then I will install the supercharger.

The supercharger is next to my bed. I am sleeping with it everyday.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
The silver lining being, with your delay you have our experience to draw on. I don't know if I really want to dive deeper into the rabbit hole with moodywizard and get the uconn. I may get a new ecu and dealer flash it for peace of mind. cwheeler is right I don't know what's going on exactly, but from other s/c'd guys description I don't think I'm running right. I have to really punch it to get power. Until I punch it the FJ accelerates like before s/c. I'm not really close to a dyno and even if I was I'd have to buy an adjustable tuner anyway. So I'm leaning toward new ecu (if mine can't be reprogrammed) and dealer flash. Reasoning cheaper and less wear and tear on the FJ.

201 - 220 of 241 Posts