Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

221 - 240 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
I already have a wideband o2, if it was pump related I would be lean at wot as well which is not the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not necessarily true. For example. My in tank pump is partially clogged. I get a hesitation and surging at partial throttle. But at full throttle it's fine. The ecu operates differently at full throttle vs partial opening. Parameters can move differently. A fuel pressure gauge would be helpful to verify pump pressure under partial throttle.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
This is not necessarily true. For example. My in tank pump is partially clogged. I get a hesitation and surging at partial throttle. But at full throttle it's fine. The ecu operates differently at full throttle vs partial opening. Parameters can move differently. A fuel pressure gauge would be helpful to verify pump pressure under partial throttle.

Possibly... will let you know I ordered a new pump with urd at the same time.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I have the urd pump upgrade. Still have to stomp it to get going, feels like Something is missing. It is a beast but shouldn't be all or nothing.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Possibly... will let you know I ordered a new pump with urd at the same time.

Do you know why Toyota can't reflash our ecu's. If we can get a used ecu flashed to our truck why not our own original? I have original stock calibration ID written down and the s/c calibration ID.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Do you know why Toyota can't reflash our ecu's. If we can get a used ecu flashed to our truck why not our own original? I have original stock calibration ID written down and the s/c calibration ID.

I've heard simply because Toyota doesn't want you to.

I am assuming with the tech stream software (what the dealer uses) it simply won't allow you to, don't know don't have the software. Thought about it since you can get a two day subscription for 50$ but you need the cable which is 500$ haha. And even if I bought that it's no guarantee I could reflash it, hence the purchase for ucon. It erases all the unknowns.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I've heard simply because Toyota doesn't want you to.

I am assuming with the tech stream software (what the dealer uses) it simply won't allow you to, don't know don't have the software. Thought about it since you can get a two day subscription for 50$ but you need the cable which is 500$ haha. And even if I bought that it's no guarantee I could reflash it, hence the purchase for ucon. It erases all the unknowns.

I'm on the ucon fence. I don't want to fall for another great sales pitch and open another can of worms. I mean bd was supposed to be an awesome piece of tech with no problems ever. I posted long ago in this thread I've never had luck with a plug in tuner. I'm worried ucon may be another piggyback override that promises great results but has a lot of headaches?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Guys. Thinking about getting the magnuson,.. any update on Bully Dog? Did either of you go with the UConn instead?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Hey Guys. Thinking about getting the magnuson,.. any update on Bully Dog? Did either of you go with the UConn instead?
Magnuson is still using the bully dog tuner top maintain CARB compliance for emissions testing. If your state or county doesn't require inspection then feel free to choose any tuner such as UCON or HP Tuner. UCON requires going thru URD to tune it as the user interface is no available to the public. HP Tuner has more adjustable options and parameters. Both will require a small investment in the unit and someone to tune to your additions. This thread is outdated though

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Has anyone gone with an aftermarket ECU? The bolt on tweaks and overrides seem hackish. Im wondering at what point do you invest the money on a truly configurable ECU.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
@Datajockeys high horsepower, unlimited data logging parameters, and tuner preference. For ours, it seems like much of the drivetrain system relies on any number of sensors and ECUs. If you plan to remove and not use any of it (ie. Changing MAF to MAP, getting rid of VSC/ABS/Trac), stand alones would ultimately more powerful and take you as far as long as you don't mind spending. Standalone ecus will have options for VSC and using gyrometers I've seen in racing/ motorcycles but I don't think we have any plug and play options. If you're ever bored, you might want to research Xrunners who have been testing the 1GR engine for a longer time.

The engine management systems are far from hacky imo and you no longer have to splice signal and sensor wires. Even though UCON is a piggy back, URD has simplified it to removing your ECU harness and plugging them into the UCON. HPTuners is even easier with mods done via the OBD2 port. No fuss really.

·
Admin
7,327 Posts
Sounds like a lot of extra cost to getting a supercharger?
So, not truly bolt on and drive away?

What other things besides the actual supercharger are necessary?

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
"What other things besides the actual supercharger are necessary?"

Doing something necessary to the ECU was always a part of the package, but when TRD was doing it the dealer could simply re-map your existing one. Since the only sources for S/C are now aftermarket, the way the ECU gets modded has these various options listed by the others above.

Besides just the S/C itself, there is also a fitting kit with water pump, hoses, intake manifold, air filter housing and low temp cooler (radiator for the air/water intercooler), belt and pulleys.

If you are going to buy a system, buy it all from one source so they can take responsibility in case there are any teething issues.

·
Admin
7,327 Posts
Higher flow fuel pump as well or no?

·
Admin
7,327 Posts
🤔

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
the new water pump is for the air x water intercooler liquid flow to its dedicated radiator, the "low temp cooling system", it is electric and is installed in the low temp cooling system's new water line

·
Registered
42 Posts
Magnuson is still using the bully dog tuner top maintain CARB compliance for emissions testing. If your state or county doesn't require inspection then feel free to choose any tuner such as UCON or HP Tuner. UCON requires going thru URD to tune it as the user interface is no available to the public. HP Tuner has more adjustable options and parameters. Both will require a small investment in the unit and someone to tune to your additions. This thread is outdated though
Thank you. I guess i have been reading some "bad" reviews on the BD tuner, but it seems it has more to do with its CARB compliance than it actually working or doing damage to your ECU?

Is there a better thread that youre aware of?

·
Admin
7,327 Posts
Contemplating adding a little kick to the ol' lady?

View attachment 1135904
Yeah.... would be nice to have a bit more juice when towing.

A little concerned though.... the ol' adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" comes to mind.... would I end up doing more harm than good?

Reactions: jamesepoop
221 - 240 of 241 Posts