Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on driving the Magruder Road on 7/8/2016 and stopped at the ranger station at the beginning of the road in Montana on Thursday 7/7/2016 to inquire about the road condition. I was told the road was closed through to Idaho:frown

Apparently there was a major landslide this spring that has closed the road. The people at the ranger station indicated that construction crews were working to open the road and that the road was expected to open some time in August.

So if anyone is planning on driving the road, certainly inquire before starting.

I was told that the Montana side of the road was open to a major river raft launching site that was approximately 60 miles in, but that the cutoff to Idaho, at approximately mile 40, was closed.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
I was planning on driving the Magruder Road on 7/8/2016 and stopped at the ranger station at the beginning of the road in Montana on Thursday 7/7/2016 to inquire about the road condition. I was told the road was closed through to Idaho:frown

Apparently there was a major landslide this spring that has closed the road. The people at the ranger station indicated that construction crews were working to open the road and that the road was expected to open some time in August.

So if anyone is planning on driving the road, certainly inquire before starting.

I was told that the Montana side of the road was open to a major river raft launching site that was approximately 60 miles in, but that the cutoff to Idaho, at approximately mile 40, was closed.
FYI, if you want to drive in from the MT side, the drive from Darby, MT to Paradise is nice and the fishing along the Selway River is very good.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI, if you want to drive in from the MT side, the drive from Darby, MT to Paradise is nice and the fishing along the Selway River is very good.
The person at the ranger station suggested that or drive over a mountain to the Shoup, ID area. I opted to drive to Shoup. It was spectacular!

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,879 Posts
I guy I work with just got back from there. Said its totally gone at the point mentioned. Big land slide with no hint of a way around. Will never exist again I imagine.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The person at the ranger station suggested that or drive over a mountain to the Shoup, ID area. I opted to drive to Shoup. It was spectacular!
If you keep going west until you get to Panther Creek, then head south you can take that road all the way to Challis Id., or cut over towards Cobalt that will eventually put you on 93 just south of Salmon. You could also come back east head south on 93 and go through Salmon and south to Mackay. Great drive with lots of beautiful scenery.

If you are up around the Hamilton Mt. area and want to grab a beer,pm me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts