Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a road trip (in about a month) to take this trail with my girlfriend and 3 other couples.

I am going off the directions given in this website.

Main Divide Road - Santa Ana Mountains, CA

From what i understand this is a scenic and very easy trail. However, i want to know if there are there any open sub-trails that branch of that are a bit more difficult? (Incase we wanna show off ;) )

Anny suggesitions from anyone who has been on this trail before? Things to look out for? Sub-trails to take, etc.

I will take plenty of pics and post them here when we're back!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Greg the trail is really easy. So easy that a 2wd FJ with stock tires can do it. There is a few small off shoots that can be harry or such. There is a nice steep hill right at the trail head that is fun to do also. If you wanna go in a month hit me up I will be happy to tag along. DominicG can take you as well. But he will take the trail at 120mph. I know this cuz I was there once with him.:lol:

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Greg the trail is really easy. So easy that a 2wd FJ with stock tires can do it. There is a few small off shoots that can be harry or such. There is a nice steep hill right at the trail head that is fun to do also. If you wanna go in a month hit me up I will be happy to tag along. DominicG can take you as well. But he will take the trail at 120mph. I know this cuz I was there once with him.:lol:

:shrug03:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:lol:

I've actually been having second thoughts about this trail. Is this even a "scenic" trail?

Anyone have any suggestions for other scenic trails within 2 hours of L.A.?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts

I've actually been having second thoughts about this trail. Is this even a "scenic" trail?
Very Scenic. Fun and worth it in my opinion. The trail is like 3/4 shut down. Should reopen in November if memory serves right. I for one would like to do the whole trail towards the end of the year after it all opens up. You get just about to Santiago peek and then have to take the road to the right which is Indian truck trail. That drops you off in to a new development of homes that are not quite built yet. Make a u-turn and do it the other way seems to add to the fun. I think this run in one direction is like 10-12 miles. Once open, the trail I hear is like 26-30 miles in one way to Skyline rd. I for one would be happy just to see Beeks Place.:wave:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Depends on the scenery I guess, and where in the LA area you are coming from.

If you are in Long Beach area, then Main Divide is probably closest, but you could also head out to the San Bernadino Mountains. Within 2 hours, you could be in the trail system behind Arrowhead/Big Bear, on the back side of the mountain. LOTS of scenary.

Lytle creek is near there as well. Fairly tame valley / creek bed wheeling. Lots of trees, and you can see up the mountains. If the gate is open, you can go up the mountain as well on a pretty easy fire road.

From Main Divide, on a nice clear day, you can see off to the ocean on one side, and three+ mountain ranges on the other. IF it is a clear day that is.

The only bad thing (in my opinion) about Main Divide, is the dust. It seems that trail is the dustiest of them all.

And, if you post up when you want to go, I'm sure you'll find someone else to tag along that is familiar with the trails. I'm always up for running any of these, schedule permitting.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
you guys crack me up!! as for main divide, it's a fun little fire road and if you want to hit the side runs there are a couple with pucker factor +3. either start from indian truck trail side or camp bluejay side on the ortega hwy. It's a good run to take some pics and work out your 4wd if you havn't done it in a while. I wish the santiago peak road was open. real nice pics up there. i suggest running it at night. much more fun and beautiful.

·
Registered
244 Posts
As already stated, Main Divide is an easy run with some fun side runs and I think it's a very scenic drive. You'll need to enter off the Ortega Hwy side and take MD to Indian Truck trail.

Like Ace suggested, run it in both directions. Though the trail is the same, it seems completely different. Round trip should take around 3 hours.

I'd also be willing to meet up and run the trail with y'all. Schedule permitting, of course.
~Brian

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Greg I'll take your girlfriend to check things out first.
If thats the case i'll come along to with my tow strap ;)

Ha Ha Ha... no

Anyways... lol...

Thanks... for all the suggestions. I still have about a month before this trip so I have plenty of time to do some more research.

And thanks for offering to come along and show us the way around the trail, however, I don't think i'm gonna want anyone to tag along on this particular trip. Like i said earlier i'll be going with 3 other couples and i think everyone is gonna want to be alone ;)

I saw the pics from the other forum, looked pretty scenic and some areas looked a bit challenging. I'll call tomorrow and see what parts of the trail are open, post here, and you guys can tell me which parts i should check out.

It also sounds like i'll be doing the trail in both directions... but only if timer permits :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I just did Indian Truck Trail to Main Divide to Ortega this morning. It is fine, but those annoying drainage berms they cut into it are like speedbumps. You have to slow down for each one or you will bottom out the rear end really hard.

A concern is the mountain bikers and the completely blind corners. If one of them is coming down the hill, it is 100% for certain they would go right up onto your hood or off the shelf road, because there is no room for them to react and then stop. Indian Truck Trail much more so than Main Divide.

The guys that went by me today were a heavenly stroke of luck. It was the one place on ITT where there was a few hundred feet of open stretch. Anywhere else on ITT and I would have been taking one down to the hospital. The way they were booking, I think seeing me put a huge damper on their fun the rest of their way down the mountain.

I put all my lights on but still don't think it would be enough for them to see me in the daytime. Hopefully they can hear the engine or something like that.

·
Registered
288 Posts

Anyone have any suggestions for other scenic trails within 2 hours of L.A.?
Another option for a nice scenic trail in the LA area is the Rincon Shortcut. It's up in the San Gabriel mountains above Asuza, and runs 20+ miles from Rt 39 to Rt 2. It mostly follows the ridge lines so you get some nice views down into the basin and up into the mountains. It's pretty easy, but as always be prepared for changes from winter storms. Last summer it was passable by a 2wd with reasonable clearance. There is one small water crossing that is usually only a few inches deep.

The trail is gated with combo locks on both ends. You stop by an Angeles National Forest ranger station - on weekends the station at the OHV play area on Rt 39, during the week I think you need to go somewhere down in town - and they give you a permit and the combo for the locks. I think they change the combo every couple weeks. Permits are free.

Also, check ahead of time because the trail was closed for the winter and it may not be open yet.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts