Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Installed an ARB awning, collected some various camping and storage goodies from Kelty and FrontRunner, and headed over to NEMBAfest at Kingdom Trails in VT this weekend. It was a total blast, the trails there are amazing. Looking forward to some more camping excursions in the FJ, was pretty comfortable with my setup sleeping in the back, has me second guessing my plan for the RTT.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Haven't updated this in a while, but I have mostly only been adding camping gear and scratches to the FJ for the last month or two. I have been out for a few camping trips on top of some of the many mountains here in Maine, and it has been a blast.
I will be installing the exhaust, on-board air setup, and 4.88 gears shortly... just been hard to give up my weekends for that when there are so many mountains to climb!

A few pics from some of our recent excursions for now:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Prepping for a trip up to the Bay of Fundy in Canada on the 17th and finally installing 4.88's from ECGS, finishing the on-board air setup, and a buttoning up a few things like the exhaust and the heated seats.

Hope to have it all wrapped up by this weekend so I have plenty of time for the break-in of the new gears.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Just spent 4 days wheeling and camping out in the Canadian woods around the Bay of Fundy. Lost a bit of paint but had an absolute blast out there, and was very happy with the 4.88's I installed the week before. There is tons of Gopro footage I still have to go through, and the whole trip was professionally filmed as a side project by a buddy of ours, so I look forward to seeing the completed video. Here's a few pics of the trip:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Even with the 4.88's installed, I still didn't love how slow the throttle response is for city driving, so I installed a Pedal Commander. Love the bluetooth function so I can adjust it with an app on my phone, which let me mount it on the back of the fuse panel door out of sight.
Also, finally welded up a mount on the Shrockworks reservoir tank for my fluid heater and finished the wiring. On-demand heated washer fluid is pretty damn awesome for Maine winters, as well as removing bug smatter and stubborn mud all year round.
I also added a small baffled breather to the cap in the reservoir tank (not in pics) as heavy wheeling was heating up the tank so much it was pressurizing the tank and causing the fluid to weep out of the sprayer nozzles... Became kind of a joke on some of our expeditions that certain trails made my FJ cry.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Turns out during our trip to Canada I punctured my radiator and cracked one of the plastic end tanks. Even with the skids, breaking through 2-3" thick ice is asking for some sort of trouble. Replaced the busted OEM unit with a full aluminum one from CSF. I have an automatic so already had the larger OEM radiator, but the CSF unit is still a bit larger than that, and should be much more durable.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Picked up a new set of headlamp housings and a pair of Koito BI-LED projectors (same ones used in the 2016+ Prius') to retrofit. Love the idea of not having to deal with bulbs and ballasts like all the HID setups I've had in the past, this entire unit can be sealed inside the headlight itself, and the cutoff and light output of these LED projectors are amazing, especially after swapping the lenses out with the ZKW-Rs. Really excited about getting these finished.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Reluctantly, I bailed on the Koito LED projector project as it was just more work than I wanted to do right now. Instead I completed an HID retrofit this weekend with some brand new OEM lights, NHK G5-R projectors, Osram bulbs, and Morimoto 35w ballasts. Pretty pleased with it, but still hope to revisit the Koito install some day, I'll hack up my old lights someday and see what can be done. I also installed some cowl lights as well for some improved off angle night lighting, they would have really come in handy on some of the nights we had deep in the woods where trailheads and obstacles just off angle from the regular headlight pattern were impossible to see.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I like the green color, it's growing on me. Might have to buy another one!
Army Green is my favorite color by far, but I still don't like the white roof, so I'm finally going to get around to painting it to match soon.
Only downside to the green is it really shows all the trail stripes, in person it looks like a pack of wild cats attacked the sides of my FJ.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
srhamlin -

The scenery shown in your Bay of Fundy photos is spectacular, that must have been a memorable trip.

A few questions for you:
1. Did you install your ExtremeAire Magnum compressor yet? If so, care to share some photos of the setup? That is one beast of a compressor, 1.5HP & 80+ amps.

2. What was the major impediment to finishing up the Koito projector headlights? You obviously have no reluctance to tackle complex upgrades, so just curious if there was a specific issue that brought things to a halt. I like the idea of using LED projectors transplanted from another Toyota model, rather than aftermarket units, and don't want to deal with the other issues unique to xenon systems.

(And, were you able to buy just the LED headlight modules, rather than complete Prius headlight housing assemblies? Standard Prius '16 and later, not Prius C?)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Re: Back Bay FJ - Maine Army Green FJC

After some minor cosmetic changes (sticker peeling, OEM TT black door handles, mirrors, front grill, and light bar extraction...
Was the light bar "extraction" purely aesthetic or wind noise related? Do you still have those brackets?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
srhamlin -

The scenery shown in your Bay of Fundy photos is spectacular, that must have been a memorable trip.

A few questions for you:
1. Did you install your ExtremeAire Magnum compressor yet? If so, care to share some photos of the setup? That is one beast of a compressor, 1.5HP & 80+ amps.

2. What was the major impediment to finishing up the Koito projector headlights? You obviously have no reluctance to tackle complex upgrades, so just curious if there was a specific issue that brought things to a halt. I like the idea of using LED projectors transplanted from another Toyota model, rather than aftermarket units, and don't want to deal with the other issues unique to xenon systems.

(And, were you able to buy just the LED headlight modules, rather than complete Prius headlight housing assemblies? Standard Prius '16 and later, not Prius C?)
The trip was amazing, we are heading back again this summer for sure.
I am just getting back to finishing the compressor install this week, I keep changing my mind from running tankless or not. It'll really just be for filling tires (and quickly at that :wink), I have cordless impact tools I carry with me on trips.

If you look at the pics of the Koito projector, in order to center the lens inside the round headlight housing, I would have to basically chop off the entire lower half of the bucket and housing to fit the fan and electronics. Then form an entire new piece out of ABS and mold it to the housing, in order to keep that entire unit inside the headlight assembly and out of the elements. Surely do-able, and I believe there is plenty of space to pull it off on the drivers side even with the battery I have, but it wasn't as much of a priority as everything else I still have to get done.
I still have my original headlights, and still have the Koitos, so someday I may dive back in. The projectors are from the 2016+ Prius' and can be purchased right from Lightwerks or RetroFitSource for around $300.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
As posted in another thread, I got around to a few more things.
I got my hands on a set of the new Yokohama X-MT tires, 35x12.50R17, and mounted them to Fuel Nitros. I only put about 5k or so miles on the other setup, but I think the X-MT is pretty much ideal for the type of terrain we mostly wheel in so I made the switch.
I also finally got around to installing the Baja Designs XL Pros, swapped out the S2 Sports I had for Squadron Pros, and installed Squadron Sports on the cowl mounts.
This week I'm back to working on the compressor setup, as well as cutting and welding my Icon UCA's in order to add more caster and reduce camber.
Nothing but rain lately, so no chance for decent pictures... these will have to do for now:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Re: Back Bay FJ - Maine Army Green FJC

Aesthetics, light bars aren't my thing. Brackets are long gone, sorry.
Did you get a chance to take it onto a highway while the light bar was still installed? Just wondering how bad the wind noise is with these mounts.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
(snip)

If you look at the pics of the Koito projector, in order to center the lens inside the round headlight housing, I would have to basically chop off the entire lower half of the bucket and housing to fit the fan and electronics. Then form an entire new piece out of ABS and mold it to the housing, in order to keep that entire unit inside the headlight assembly and out of the elements. Surely do-able, and I believe there is plenty of space to pull it off on the drivers side even with the battery I have, but it wasn't as much of a priority as everything else I still have to get done.
I still have my original headlights, and still have the Koitos, so someday I may dive back in. The projectors are from the 2016+ Prius' and can be purchased right from Lightwerks or RetroFitSource for around $300.
I noticed the fan on the back of the Prius modules; in the original Prius setup, do the fans pull ambient air into the housing, or just circulate air within the sealed housing? In the OEM setup, are there any other heat-transfer features that would help pull heat out of the housing and dissipate it in the engine bay?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I noticed the fan on the back of the Prius modules; in the original Prius setup, do the fans pull ambient air into the housing, or just circulate air within the sealed housing? In the OEM setup, are there any other heat-transfer features that would help pull heat out of the housing and dissipate it in the engine bay?
They just circulate air inside the housing. They are barely warm to the touch when running, another reason I wanted to use them since the whole unit would have resided inside the housing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Did you get a chance to take it onto a highway while the light bar was still installed? Just wondering how bad the wind noise is with these mounts.
I did for a couple days, think it may have whistled a tad. Guess depends how sensitive you are to such sounds. My awning, 35" MT's, and stuff piled on the roof don't bother me at all, but I see people upset by such things all the time. My music is always louder.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts