Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,740 Posts
I did for a couple days, think it may have whistled a tad. Guess depends how sensitive you are to such sounds. My awning, 35" MT's, and stuff piled on the roof don't bother me at all, but I see people upset by such things all the time. My music is always louder.
Exactly...Subwoofer FTW :rocker:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I did for a couple days, think it may have whistled a tad. Guess depends how sensitive you are to such sounds. My awning, 35" MT's, and stuff piled on the roof don't bother me at all, but I see people upset by such things all the time. My music is always louder.
"Whistling a tad" probably wouldn't be a big problem. I had a light bar mounted to the stock roof rack with clamp-on brackets once. The sonic effect was so unbearable I had to take it down mid-trip. Been looking for different brackets since then.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,740 Posts
Had a small window in the seemingly endless rain here lately, grabbed a quick hard parkin' shot down by the water

Yep, we have the same weather :(
Your FJ looks great - really clean functional build that looks super capable :rocker: If you’re free June 8 there’s a super cool run in PA with the Keystone Cruisers. I’m heading down on the 7th to test run my new front locker. You’d be most welcome!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yep, we have the same weather :(
Your FJ looks great - really clean functional build that looks super capable :rocker: If you’re free June 8 there’s a super cool run in PA with the Keystone Cruisers. I’m heading down on the 7th to test run my new front locker. You’d be most welcome!
Thanks Deb! That sounds like a blast, I'd love to get down there, I'll see what I can do!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Looks great :rocker: How are you liking the gnarly new tires?
I haven't been able to wheel anywhere with them yet, so all I have is driving around town and highway miles right now.
They ride pretty smooth (above 5mph), barely took any weight, and they look great... but that's all I can really judge them on so far.
Might make it out to Mountain Mud Run event this weekend in Warren, NH (never been, looks crazy) and will probably do some wheeling in the nearby mountains to test them out.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,740 Posts
Do it!! That’s run by a very good friend Dan Richardson of Performance Unlimited near Woodstock VT...def make a point of meeting him. I’ll alert him you may be there :grin

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Re: Back Bay FJ - Maine Army Green FJC

Love you wheels and tires - question, I'm looking to change my Stock 2012 FJ and wanted 35" Tires, with a 3" life my local shop is telling me they won't fit and they'd be have to cut too much of my frame.

Thoughts/Comment?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts

[/QUOTE]
Love you wheels and tires - question, I'm looking to change my Stock 2012 FJ and wanted 35" Tires, with a 3" life my local shop is telling me they won't fit and they'd be have to cut too much of my frame.

Thoughts/Comment?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Love the Green! Nice work!

I recognize the background in your pix. East End Beach boat launch.. Backbay Customs, Paul G White trucks. Steve White is a friend of mine. I grew up in Portland on Allen Ave Extension and live in Westbrook about 2 miles from the Paul G White warehouse on Riverside Industrial Park.

I have a 2007 3 pedal FJ. Been lurking on this site for a year. Just joined. and this is my 1st post...

If I see your FJ at Back Bay Customs on Allen Ave. I'll stop in.

Bob

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

Thoughts/Comment?
There's no frame cutting, you have to chop back the body mount (not structural) and flatten the pinch welds to not rub, also adding caster helps.
Myself and hundreds (if not more) of others wheel on 35's with no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Love the Green! Nice work!

I recognize the background in your pix. East End Beach boat launch.. Backbay Customs, Paul G White trucks. Steve White is a friend of mine. I grew up in Portland on Allen Ave Extension and live in Westbrook about 2 miles from the Paul G White warehouse on Riverside Industrial Park.

I have a 2007 3 pedal FJ. Been lurking on this site for a year. Just joined. and this is my 1st post...

If I see your FJ at Back Bay Customs on Allen Ave. I'll stop in.

Bob
Hi Bob,
Yes I work over at Back Bay Customs and live over by PGW on Riverside Industrial. Feel free to stop by the shop anytime.

-Sean

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
We had a little time to throw the FJ on the lift and put some more work into the mounting bracket for my ExtremeAire compressor. Started by bending up a heavy gauge piece of stainless for the base plate. We then notched the intake end for added clearance to tuck it up as high as possible, and built arms out of stainless tubing that use existing threaded holes in the frame for mounting. The end result came out great and is tucked up very high, and well shielded from the exhaust. I plan on moving the terminals I placed under there for now, and once wired we will be building a stainless removable cover for the whole thing as well to further prevent rocks and debris from beating it up.
Progress so far:

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Still (slowly) working on the air setup, been pretty busy with house projects and getting out on the bike as much as I can.

I did take a day last weekend to drop the headliner and install a cb for an upcoming trip. Went with the President McKinley and a 3ft Firestick for now, pretty pleased with the install, just need to decide how I want to handle the mic cord when it's connected.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
More air setup progress. I was able to run both 4ga wires wrapped in heavy loom all the way through the driverside framerail from rear bumper to engine bay, mounted the relay and buttoned up some more of the wiring. I'll be mounting the Viair tank tonight (hopefully), then it's just plumbing, an electronic drain valve, and then the covers/skids for it all.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Made some tank mounting brackets from 11ga stainless, welded them to the truck, and mounted the tank. Also began running some of the plumbing. Really pleased with how this is coming along, both the tank and compressor are mounted very high and you really have to get under there to even see it.
Plan to finish it up and test everything over the next 2 days, then fabricate some covers.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 75 Posts