Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all! New to the boards and new to the rig...Just wanted to be on top of things and wanted to be sure I'm changing my oils at the right intervals. If they are in the manual I'll check it out or if someone can tell me off hand that would be great...

Transmission (manual):
Transfer case:
Engine: For the first one is 5k after is 3.5k or if running synthetic 5k (can someone verify?)
Front Differential:
Rear Differential:

Am I missing anything else? Thanks everyone...

Also is there a DIY write up on these oils?

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Everybody has slightly different preferences on fluids. My maintenance perspective is somewhat over-kill/more than necessary but I'll share it.

5K Miles
ROTATE TIRES
Engine Oil (Mobil 1 Synthetic)
Inspect hoses/belts
Lube everything

10K Miles
ROTATE TIRES
Engine Oil
Transfer case, differential and transmission (Mobil 1)
Clean MAF Sensor
Inspect hoses/belts
Lube everything

If you're running it in the dust, you should clean your interior air filter (behind the glove box) when you get back from your trip.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Hey all! New to the boards and new to the rig...Just wanted to be on top of things and wanted to be sure I'm changing my oils at the right intervals. If they are in the manual I'll check it out
In the package of paperwork that came with your truck (should be close to the owners manual) is a blue pamphlet titled "200* FJ Cruiser Scheduled Maintenance Guide", this is what you are looking for.

Am I missing anything else?
Like Uphill says, don't forget to lube (grease) your u-joints and slip yokes.

Also is there a DIY write up on these oils?
Yeah, it's been posted and gone over several times in the forum; the "search" function should yield a ton of information.

Everybody has slightly different preferences on fluids. My maintenance perspective is somewhat over-kill/more than necessary but I'll share it.

5K Miles
ROTATE TIRES
Engine Oil (Mobil 1 Synthetic)
Inspect hoses/belts
Lube everything

10K Miles
ROTATE TIRES
Engine Oil
Transfer case, differential and transmission (Mobil 1)
Clean MAF Sensor
Inspect hoses/belts
Lube everything

If you're running it in the dust, you should clean your interior air filter (behind the glove box) when you get back from your trip.
My maintenance routine is very similar to Uphill's except some of my intervals are a little longer, 10K for my Amsoil synthetic engine oil and 15K for the synthetic gear lube in my diffs and TC. My auto tranny is on a 60K flush schedule. I still rotate tires and lube on a 5K schedule.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts