Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ripped music from my old CD's to play in my stereo USB plug. Much more convenient. No problems, happy as a clam. I bought some MP3's from Amazon and the damn radio wouldn't even recognize them. Nada, bupkiss, like they didn't even exist. I was NOT a happy camper. Those same MP3's played just fine in my internet stereo radio in my home too.

So I did some internet searching and found the issue addressed in the Tundra forum, because others have had this problem. It seems that both itunes and Amazon sell their MP3's encoded with album covers, or pictures. Well, that's all fine and dandy for either an Android device or Apple device, or even a computer when you want to see the album cover. But lo and behold, NOT in a Toyota USB enabled car stereo, or at least one of my vintage, 2011.

So to "fix" the issue, one has to strip out the pictures from the MP3 tags in order for those MP3's to work on a Toyota stereo that has a USB plug. Well, I had to go online just to find a program to do just that, like MP3 Tag. By the way, removing the pictures using just MS Windows (by making sure system files and folders aren't hidden) didn't get them all purged. There's still one embedded deep in the tag that's still an issue. After getting that last little picture with MP3 Tag, the songs played.

I'm assuming that embedded pictures ARE part of the MP3 standard, so why isn't Toyota following that standard, or at least have a radio that ignores other embedded coding within the tags so that a legally purchased MP3 will play from a USB stick? I gather that the same issue would crop up if I made a personal CD which contained MP3's encoded with the same cover art. Not going to waste a CD trying it however.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, doom on me. I guess the only good thing out of all this BS just to get some music to work is that I'm learning new skills, like how to hack MP3 files. Now if only Toyota's radios also supported lossless music formats. :wink

WVhillbilly, my FJ came with the whole package, satellite radio, CD and AM/FM radio, so it was already there. Since it also came with a USB plug in the center console and I'd already had ripped most of my CD's to digital format, copying them over to a really tiny unobtrusive USB stick made sense. On the plus side, that tiny little stick doesn't really show through the window of my FJ like an iPod would, so there's less chance it will tempt some car prowler to break in to steal it if I leave it plugged in.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
My iPod touch connects with Bluetooth, it's usually in the console pocket or the drivers side (brilliant idea) glove box.
Unless it's in my Tundra.
It will usually play 8-10 hours or more on a charge. And charges pretty quick.
I listen to XM a lot too, but AM/FM never.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I have a tiny 4Gb USB stick too. Some of my songs not playing now makes complete sense, thanks for bringing this up!
I just made a whole new playlist on another USB stick for the Big Bend Trip, I hope I don't go through the same thing, but at least I'll have 2 sets of tunes to go through for the LONG drive there and back :)

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
After i bought my 14 FJ i was flooded with surveys asking tons of questions. My only complaint was the radio. They must of had a bunch left over from 1988 and just kept using them. I'm reading every thread discussing changing the head unit.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a tiny 4Gb USB stick too. Some of my songs not playing now makes complete sense, thanks for bringing this up!
I just made a whole new playlist on another USB stick for the Big Bend Trip, I hope I don't go through the same thing, but at least I'll have 2 sets of tunes to go through for the LONG drive there and back :)
I have discovered a strange quirk. Even though the Amazon songs are correctly track numbered and alphabetized and they now actually play, they only play at the end of my folder selection, not in the middle of the list. I'm either missing something with my MP3 tag fiddling or the FJ radio has a strange way of reading a music list when playing back songs.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I have discovered a strange quirk. Even though the Amazon songs are correctly track numbered and alphabetized and they now actually play, they only play at the end of my folder selection, not in the middle of the list. I'm either missing something with my MP3 tag fiddling or the FJ radio has a strange way of reading a music list when playing back songs.
I've noticed that if I put mine on "Random" play, it will play some of the songs I put on my USB stick, not all of them.
When I play from the beginning, it seems to play all of them if I let it play in alphabetical order.
I'm going to make a new playlist soon, so I'll pay better attention to it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heck, the stupid songs at least play, so I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth and mess around too much with them. I might do some more investigating if I add some more songs and then see if I messed up something in the track numbers or album names. I thought of something the other day though. Those Amazon songs came from an album, they weren't singles, and the radio may be taking cues from the album name or something like that buried in the MP3 tags. Until then, I'll just enjoy my songs while driving. I haven't tried random play yet because I have so many songs on that stick, it would probably take a long time to actually have one of those new songs play just to see if it works. Let me know what you figure out BlindWilly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm going to try the iSimple route, the adapter that plugs into the radios harness and plays iPhones, iPods, etc. They worked well on my other trucks.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Why are you ripping a cd to MP3? Sounds like you know a bit about audio so I am confused why you are using that format.

There are also different types of MP3.

What types of MP3 are you using? Variable or constant bitrate?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I use an old ipod touch with mine and haven't noticed any issues with it, but I've been wanting to switch to a portable HD though just so I can carry my entire catalog with me. I'll have to watch for this issue when I make the switch.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why are you ripping a cd to MP3? Sounds like you know a bit about audio so I am confused why you are using that format.

There are also different types of MP3.

What types of MP3 are you using? Variable or constant bitrate?
Well, because almost all of my music collection is on CD's or vinyl. I'm an oldster with an oldster's music collection. Why buy the music all over again? Plus, some of my music is rare and older, like some great movie soundtracks that I had to digitize from my vinyl record collection, stuff that isn't even on iTunes or Amazon. As for the bit-rate, I think it's constant for the program that I'm using, which is Foobar using the LAME MP3 codec, although I'd have to go back and play with it to see for sure. I'm also encoding from lossless .WAV files, which are too large to fit on a stick with the number of songs I have. In the FJ, I can't tell the difference in quality anyway and the LAME encoder does a pretty good job of maintaining quality, even if MP3 is lossy. By the way, if anyone wants to really give their factory subwoofer a good test, the soundtrack from Tron Legacy really made my FJ thump, and that was one I ripped from a CD.

Since the radio in my FJ doesn't go down beyond 2 folders, I had to use foobar to take all the songs on the record album that I liked and create one long MP3, so that I could at least play the songs in the same order as on the vinyl record. You lose the particular song name that way, but at least I have the title of the soundtrack showing and playing in the right order.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts