Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes you need to exit your vehicle on an angle to take a look at the line of the terrain or whatever and when you get back in the freakin seatbelt locks, so the dangerous angles you are about to encounter have you pushing on your side of your door to keep yourself level. not the smartest design. I know wall the tricks like clothespins and such, but It really should have an override or unlock spool leverr or something.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Excellent idea! I've encountered the same problem several time as I am sure most who wheel their FJ have.

I got around this by replacing my seats with Corbeau suspension seats (goodbye FJ butt) and went with a 4 point restraint harness. I'll still use the stock belt on the road and switch to the 4 point harness when off road.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Not going to happen, the tensioner is designed in accordance with federal law to lock after full extension. Has to do with car seat installation requiring a locking tensioner. I know the next question is "why have it in the driver seat?" they made it universal so that a body shop could not order the wrong part if replacing a seat belt after a collision and install the tensioner for the driver seat in the driver side rear seat. It's the government so it's not supposed to happen.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I hate that "feature" too. Getting out to check the hill or corner and when you get back in, you can't buckle in. It fails when you need it the most. :( Maybe we can invent a clip to extend the seatbelt BEFORE exiting the vehicle so when you get back, you can buckle back in.:thinkerg:

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Not going to happen, the tensioner is designed in accordance with federal law to lock after full extension. Has to do with car seat installation requiring a locking tensioner. I know the next question is "why have it in the driver seat?" they made it universal so that a body shop could not order the wrong part if replacing a seat belt after a collision and install the tensioner for the driver seat in the driver side rear seat. It's the government so it's not supposed to happen.
This situation is caused by the ELR, not the ALR. The inertia reel inside is sensitive to angle and is "web sensitive" in that a quick tug on the webbing is arrested quickly.

Our problems are caused by the design of the Inertia reel section of the Emergency Locking Rectractor mechanism. Once the little pendulum usually utilized to sense rapid deceleration is at the correct angle (during a descent), it will lock the webbing in place.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still think there could be a momentary overide switch with a safety spring so it couldnt be left in unlock by accident, therefore eliminating the lawsuit aspect of it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Still think there could be a momentary overide switch with a safety spring so it couldnt be left in unlock by accident, therefore eliminating the lawsuit aspect of it.
here here! I agree wholeheartedly. Many a time I've been locked out of my seatbelt in very trecherous, precarious situations, where the benefit of a seatbelt would have been nice. Had to cross many pieces of trail with no seatbelt on thinking if I roll, (without this seatbelt on) I'm dead.

How long untill somebody gets out to inspect a section of trail, gets locked out of their seatblelt, rolls, hurts themselves and sues...??? Sad, but untill it happens, there will probably be no amendments on this...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts