Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that more and more folks here are getting into more and more fabrication so I figured I’d show you an easy project that I just did myself. I needed some tall adjustable jacks and remembered so scaffold jacks I bought.

I try to do a little “shop” work during the week between X-mas and New Year. So today I started on a set of 4 adjustable jack stands. These are for lighter duty, like positioning the body of a truggy. :)

About a year ago I picked up 4 adjustable scaffolding feet from a pawn shop. I got them for $10 a piece, could not go wrong. I went to another pawn shop last week and picked up two old scaffold sections for $40. $80 and some work later I have 4 adjustable jack stands. Min 24 inches in height. The top above the red handle can be changed to any configuration your mind can come up with

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Nice job. How do you know what kind of weight they will hold? Would they hold up the FJ?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really had not thought much about how much weight they will hold. I would not put the weight of the FJ on them, that and they are 24” min height, a long way to go jacking it up They support a lot of weight with loaded scaffold on them but I won’t be pushing my luck.

They are built more for supporting a truck cab, holding axles for weld up. Thinking about a taller version for the latter.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Looks good Stan. So how do they work? Does the red handle rotate and cause the jack to raise and lower? Or is it essentially a pin that slides into the inner tube of the jack?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The red handle spins, there is a 1 1/2" screw inside the tube and the red handle is a nut that fits the end of the tube.

The top piece is removeable. Any shape top piece can be made to fit different shapes pf things you are working on, just needs a small piece of tube on the bottom to mount it on the top of the jack.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts