Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed an installation article that is published on the Overland Journal website, documenting the installation of the Man-A-Fre auxiliary fuel tank. ARB installed the tank on their yellow FJ Cruiser (the same one that went to Australia).

Installation article link

I currently have the FJ Cruiser here at the 2nd annual FJ Summit in Ouray, CO so if you are here for the event, be sure to stop by and check out the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Cool, the Aux tank looks sweet!!!:rocker:

G

·
Looks great! Couple of quick questions

1) Are there close up pictures of the twin filler necks?
2) How do you know at the pump if both tanks are completely full?
3) How long does it take to completely fill the main tank from the aux tank?
4) Is there an indicator lamp to show that the aux pump is working?
5) Have you guys figured out how much mileage you're getting lugging around an extra 19 gallons of fuel?

Thanks!

-B

·
Registered
476 Posts

5) Have you guys figured out how much mileage you're getting lugging around an extra 19 gallons of fuel?

Thanks!

-B
1. There is only a single filler pipe. The picture shows an original filler and a modified one. There are 2 changes to the modified one. Up close to the filler opening the filler is notched and a short "y" pipe is welded on so a short hose can be connected to the filler of the Aux tank. Close to the other end of the filler pipe there is another "y" added, this one is threaded to accept a barbed fitting for the blue hose from the Aux tank fuel pump.

2. There isn't a straight forward way to tell if both tanks are full. If you have the second gauge installed that will give you some reasonable indication. Some people with Aux tanks have reported some difficulty with gas station pumps shutting off early and having to slowly fill the final few gallons. My method which works extremely well was to have the main tank nearly empty when it was installed and conjunction with the Scangauge (very well calibrated) fill the system all the way till I could see fuel in the filler neck. This gave me an actual total capacity. Scangauge was resized to new capacity. Next fillup the number of gallons were noted when the pump cutoff but again filled the filler neck to see the difference. Scangauge was checked to maintain calibration. On my tank I have had no filling problems and in fact it fills on a higher setting than I could with stock. The gas pump cuts off 2 gallons shy of the filler neck and I will add 1 more gallon which has to be done 1/10th at a time. Do not routinely fill all the way to the filler neck as this causes rough running and stalling from liquid gas in the venting system. Because my Scangauge is calibrated to 1/10th of a gallon all I need to do is check the gallons used prior to filling and I know almost exactly how much fuel is required to fill the tanks. This works so well that I may not install the Aux tank fuel gauge even though I have the sender installed and wired in the tank.

3. About twice as long as stock. I can fill at a higher volume than stock so the fill time while pumping is shorter for the same amount of gas but 'pay at the pumps' shut off at $100 so you have to do 2 transactions to fill the tanks.

4. The pump itself has no output to light an indicator so the switch that is used to turn on the pump can be wired to light up when on or an indicator can be wired to the relay output.

5. I lost maybe 1/10 mpg if that.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts

Thanks!

-B
If you're at the Summit, swing by the Best Western, check my tank out and we can chat. Of all the mods I've done, this has been one of the very best.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
any thoughts on if this will void the fuel system part of your warrenty?
Since thier has been a mod done will that let a deal writeoff anything related to the fuel system?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks!

-B

1. I'm on the road right now, but later this afternoon I can get a larger image posted for you.

2. I haven't experienced any difficulties with filling. It fills just like an OEM fuel tank on any vehicle. I can hear the tone of the rushing fuel change when it comes up into the neck and triggers the auto-shut-off for the gas pump. If you want to fill it all the way, it's just like any car, you have to wait for the top end of the fuel level to settle a little, then squeeze the trigger again and top it off, being careful not to overfill and spill any fuel. That's how I know they are completely full, but the guages show above the "F" line, just like they normally would.

3. It takes about 13 minutes to transfer almost an entire tank. I say "almost" because I haven't waited for the main tank to run out before filling (don't want to suck the dregs of the tank into the system) so I transfer a little while after the low-level light has come on. Probably 17 gallons?

4. Yes, there is a red indicator lamp on the provided rocker switch.

5. I don't think the difference is all that significant. It's like trying to figure out what the difference in mileage is when you have a passenger in the back seat. It's about 125 lbs of fuel, plus the weight of the tank, so easily less than 200 lbs. I think the mileage will vary more based on driving habits and conditions more than anything.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
any thoughts on if this will void the fuel system part of your warrenty?
Since thier has been a mod done will that let a deal writeoff anything related to the fuel system?

I imagine that will depend on the dealer. I think with the reliability of the Toyota fuel systems (I don't know anyone who has had a pump or tank fail, have you?) there is a low likelihood of any issues. Scheduled filter replacements should keep everything clean.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
This is all nice, but despite my long standing order, I am still short on parts--as in no tank. Maybe the masses will have this by 2015?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts