Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Story time!!!

Last Wednesday night, around 1:00AM local time, my cell phone wakes me up. I check to see who would be calling me at such a time, and find it’s, my brother-in-law. He tells me that his best friend had been on these trails with his recently purchased 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, and had gotten it stuck. As soon as he said this, I immediately began getting dressed and ready for a late night rescue. I knew this was gonna be a fun night, filled with mad props. :king:

I drove over to my brother-in-law’s house, and find both he and his best friend standing in the driveway. Puzzled that they were BOTH there, considering one was supposed to be stuck in the mud, I ask the typical question, “What the hell?!” More on this later.

We all piled into the FJ, had an aluminum sand ladder strapped to the roof hoping we could use it for traction, and all the nylon tie down straps owned by the family (we didn’t have any tow straps). We negotiate the trails with utmost ease, over ruts, trees, and bumps. Low and behold, through the darkness of the night, my high beams catch the deep blue of the Disco..... and another mid-90’s white Jeep Cherokee. Again, I ask the question, “What the hell?!”

It turned out that my brother-in-law’s best friend had gotten his Disco stuck, and absent of his cell phone, walked some three miles back to his house, and jacked the Cherokee. He then went back, attempted to pull the Rover out with the Jeep, and got it stuck as well. He then walked over five miles to my brother-in-law’s house. The whole situation looked like it really sucked. For them. (That's awful. I shouldn't make fun of it, it was a bad night for them. But not for me! :rofl:)

Before I even got close to the scene, I engaged 4L and A-TRAC (tell me if this was wrong please). I understand that you don’t ever use the rear locker unless you are STUCK. Anyway, I creeped up to the closest SUV, the Jeep. We hooked up three tiedowns to the tow hooks of both the FJ and the Jeep, and popped all three straps before the damn thing budged. Luckily, there was a 24-hour Wal-Mart open not half a mile from the site. We came back 20 minutes later with two 11,000 pound breaking strength tow straps. They weren’t gonna break.

Here’s where the good stuff starts. We got back to the carnage, hooked the tow straps up, I locked my boy in 4L and A-TRAC again, and tightened up the strap. A wee bit of gas, and it was like pulling the cap off of a pen. No problem. The same went with the Discovery. Hooked it up, took the slack out, and it came out like it was never stuck.

The moral to the story is that my stock FJ, complete with stock tires no less, came through in the clutch. I pulled a Land Rover Discovery and a Jeep Cherokee out of the muck with no trouble AT ALL. On the drive out, I had both windows down, and simply patted the side of my Cruiser. As soon as we got back home, I was informed that I will have a sticker made that says “Jeep/Land Rover Rescue Vehicle.” It was a job well done. I love this vehicle!:pinklove:

And I better get my sticker. :rocker: :cheers: :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
good story, always nice to help someone out in need. better yet, you've got some of the necessary trail recovery equipment now. ;)

as for the rear lockers, sounds like you didn't need them this time. however, the "don’t ever use the rear locker unless you are STUCK" isn't entirely correct. more often than not, it takes some forward or backward movement in order for the rear diff lock to engage. if you are absolutely stuck, and don't have this movement, your rear diff may not engage.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
GJ on getting it done. But I had to ask...you had a sand ladder but no straps? :lol: Just messing with you. As for straps, you may want to go to a 20,000lb strap. 10,000lb is not enough for FJs. If vehicles are really stuck, you will need the higher rating. Glad the ratch straps didn't hurt the vehicles when they broke.

Did you try to drive their vehicle out? It would've been funnier. :D By the way, it's better to engage the lockers before you get stuck.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Good show, mate. Top another one off to the FJ. To all those wankers out there still driving Jeeps and Disco's, get an FJ. You won't have to walk home.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Great story. Hope they bought you a case of your favorite beer. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
GOOD JOB.
Just one thing to notice about our Disco Driver, he goes back and get the Cherokee and had not TOW strap? What was his intention? have the Jeep talk the Disco out of the mess?:rofl:

All the merit to the FJ, but I think our Disco driver was not at his best that day either.:rofl:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
GOOD JOB.
Just one thing to notice about our Disco Driver, he goes back and get the Cherokee and had not TOW strap? What was his intention? have the Jeep talk the Disco out of the mess?:rofl:

All the merit to the FJ, but I think our Disco driver was not at his best that day either.:rofl:
if only he had been driving a honda civic, then there would have been no need to get the FJ involved in all this.:rofl:

·
Registered
96 Posts
BZ

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Awesome story, :rocker: FJ recovery vehicle!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Love it - great story.

On the locker thing - use it whenever you're wheeling... that's why it's there. A-Trac too.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good show, mate. Top another one off to the FJ. To all those wankers out there still driving Jeeps and Disco's, get an FJ. You won't have to walk home.
True, but if they all got FJ's, we wouldn't be royalty anymore. :king:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Great story! I especially like the touch of patting the FJ on the side as you drove out after rescuing them. :clap:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
That rocks! and congrats on the successful recovery~

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Sweet - way to go man - :cheers:

-

1 - 20 of 24 Posts