Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent my Memorial Day giving my new FJ a quick shakedown run along Mana Road on the Big Island. The majority of it is basically range driving, with about a 5 mile section of easy offroading. The whole thing is 44 miles, which I did in just under 4 hours, including time to stop and take photos.

Mana Road passes through Parker Ranch, which was at one point one of the largest cattle ranches in the world. The road starts at about 2800' and goes up to 7200' or so before tying back in to the Mauna Kea Summit Road, which continues up to 13,700'. The trip started out foggy (low clouds, actually...) but it cleared up about 15 miles in and was beautiful. All in all, a very well-spent day.

Can't wait for my next one! :rocker:

(btw, that hunk of rust? a Jeep. :rofl:)

·
Registered
141 Posts
welcome, nice pics it is real nice there.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Nice pics, Largos. My visits to the BI have been too few and far apart. The Parker Ranch area is one of the most beautiful in all of Hawai'i. Good to see that there are some unpaved roads that are still open to the public.

Welcome to the forum, cuz.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Beautiful pics!

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice pics, Largos. My visits to the BI have been too few and far apart. The Parker Ranch area is one of the most beautiful in all of Hawai'i. Good to see that there are some unpaved roads that are still open to the public.

Welcome to the forum, cuz.
Thanks everyone!

There are still a few places around. :) I'm going to be doing some exploring now that I have 4WD and I'll be sure to post pics and details in case anyone comes out here and needs some tips. Next up is probably going to be the Mauna Loa road and some trails that go off of it. I just have to make sure I don't wander into the Pohakuloa artillery range...

Bill

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
hey Largos looks fun! how is the haze from the volcano over there? it was pretty visible here this weekend.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Comes and goes depending on the trade winds. Looks pretty nice today - too bad I have to go work. :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
WHHAAA I miss the islands :)

great pics and looks like a fun way to spend some quality driving time ;) away from the tourists :)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Very nice place to wheel, hope Ferry will make it there one day so you could show us all your playground. Thanks for the beautiful pics Bill.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope, not yet. I didn't have a good map of those trails, and I didn't acclimate long enough and wasn't feeling too well. But they're on my list!

Bill

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Howz it? Jealousy is contagious waaah! 7/9 I will be Kailua (Oahu)...oh riiight!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts