Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about getting a 4x4 with the manual transmission (stick shift). Yesterday, I tried "building" one on the Toyota website, and the manual 4x4 option was not available. Also, it seems that all the dealers in my area do not have any on their lot. Although Leesburg VA has two new 2007 silver manual 4x4.

Does Toyota still build them, or did they stop due to low demand.

I am debating getting a FJ. I do not want to get burned on resale due the MPG and low interest in a 4X4 manual.

Also wondering if I should wait and see if the price goes down with higher gas price.

Spirou

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
Welcome,

Toyota's 'build-it' software for the FJ leaves allot to be desired. You may go back in latter today and it will let you build a 6MT. You never know.

Toyota is still making them and there are allot on the roads. The reason you can't find any in the dealerships is because they are in demand and Toyota makes allot more 5AT's then they do 6MT's. Hang in there and be patient, you'll get what you want. I'm sure your dealer can find the FJ you want. Mine did.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can definitely get them. I just picked mine up wednesday. Just to avoid any confusion, you might see a 6MT 4x4 listed as "automatic 4x4" because the MT models are full time 4x4. There is still a transfer case shifter to lock the center diff (4hi L) or to go to 4 low, but it basically runs in 4 hi all the time. That's the main thing I don't like about mine. Obviously it wasn't a big enough hangup for me to buy a nissan tho.... :rawr:

·
Premium Member
17,117 Posts
Yes manual 4x4s are available! I have one and I really enjoy it. Chris

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
MT are AWD not 4x4. I wish they made the manual tranny with a 4x4 option because in 2WD it would get over 2Ompg and be able to peel out. With the All Wheel Drive when you gas it, it goes!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had my 6sp for a little over a month now and I love it!! I would definitely wait to get the manual. Don't settle for the auto. My dealer only had two. One black and one silver. I didn't want to wait 2 months for a Brick so I bought the black.

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
I love my 6MT and wouldn't trade it for an auto - I don't think they're better, it's just personal preference. I get 17.5 to 19.5 mpg depending upon driving conditions. If you are overly concerned about 1-2 mpg difference and hesitant about 6MT, get an auto. Get what you want and be sure about it. Yes, they still make 6MT and are still available. You just have to look around.

·
Registered
499 Posts
i got a 6spd manaual 4x4 all the time especially in the special edition it gets really really rare. had to get it driven down from new hampshire

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts
Yep, they're still available. But, not as commonly found at dealerships as the 5AT's. We recently bought four 2008 6-speed manuals for our SUV/4x4 driver training programs (1 Voodoo, 1 Sun Fusion, 1 Brick and 1 Black).

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out why Toyota made that particular decision. :confused:

I'm guessing it's because all Land Cruisers have been AWD since 1991, and Toyota (and the majority of their customers?) are used to it now. FWIW I really like this setup on my FJ80 and would have happily bought an MT6 FJC if I could have found one when I bought mine.

·
fka fatbrat40
2,488 Posts
Welcome to the forums, yeah you can get them we have one 6sp here that was to be shipped out to another dealer today for a customer..ask your delaer to order one to your spec's or search for one in your area... and have it shipped in..good luck

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just bought mine in metallic silver yesterday. I am from the baltimore area and had a tough time finding one. I finally found one at carmax in laurel (by searching their website), they have a few more that are MT, but only in brick color I think. I never knew they sold new cars or even had franchised dealerships. I got a pretty good deal on it too. Was priced below invoice, I think there isn't much of a demand for MT in this area and they want to get rid of the few they have. I love MT, have always had it in all my vehicles, better control over accel and deaccel, and more fun. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I love my 6MT, but the only problem with it is that since it runs in 4h all time it sucks more gas than the ATs, but at least it's only a few mpg behind.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had to get the dealer to send mine from another dealer but I was able to get a 6MT without any trouble. You will enjoy it I am certain.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts