Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have to come clean; I have a 2013 Tacoma Prerunner (and a 03 4Runner V8). Sorry no FJ.

I am looking to do a 4x4 conversion on the Tacoma. I have a general sense of what I need to do the conversion but, I lack a full understanding of the 4x4 different systems across the platforms.

I have read a few posts, on other sites, that use mostly FJ components for the conversion. Most folks seem to go with the auto FJ front diff (w/ ADD) and the auto transfer case.

I am trying to find out if the transfer case from an auto would work fine with the front differential from a manual?

From what I understand the main difference between the auto and manual front diff, is that manual version is always "engaged"?

And the auto front diff spins freely until switched to 4Hi (actuator locks the front axles to diff)?

Would parasitic loss be the only downside to having a manual front diff with part-time transfer case (compared to a front diff with ADD)?

Thanks for any help or comments.

JT

·
Registered
198 Posts
Other than getting the correct final drive ratio, I can't see other troubles with manual front-diff + PT Tcase. My personal opinion is that this parasitic loss from spinning the driveshaft by the wheels, not vice versa, will be noticeable and will also affect your mileage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts