Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for my first FJ.
Coming from the world of sports cars, I prefer driving a manual transmission and wondered if there's anything that I should be aware of pro or con about the 6-speeds in FJs.
Thanks!
Bill

·
Registered
463 Posts
Agree with above. Just be aware that the FJ is drive-by-wire which means the computer controls throttle response. In particular when upshifting the computer controls how fast the RPMs drop and this will affect your timing for smooth shifting. I wouldn't trade mine for an automatic but it took awhile to adjust.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there programmable ECUs (common in the sports car world) available for FJs to enable tuning the response of the DBW as well as fuel, spark, etc.?

Agree with above. Just be aware that the FJ is drive-by-wire which means the computer controls throttle response. In particular when upshifting the computer controls how fast the RPMs drop and this will affect your timing for smooth shifting.

·
Registered
463 Posts
There are some things like "Pedal Commander" that plug in that address how quickly the throttle responds to pressing the accelerator pedal but none that I know of that do much for deceleration.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I say manual.
but...
I was specifically buying a toy extra vehicle for an old school, nostalgic experience.
for a daily driver, some off-road advantages, etc. I can’t say don’t go automatic.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
There used to be 3 downsides to MT, but not any more:
- throwout bearing noise, and wear of the scroll, one or both of which occurred on some vehicles. Now Clutchmasters has the solution for it (inline hydraulic, to eliminate the noise and scroll wear issue).
- slow throttle response, but the Pedal Commander is available to change that. Some just live with it because being a big heavy truck, once gotten used to slow shifts just sort of seems right.
- 1mpg less than AT, but gas is almost free now and they are running out of places to store it due to the drop in consumption due to coronavirus, and to a price war between Saudi and Russia. So, drive your FJ as much as possible to do what you can to help (but keep social distancing).

There have always been 2 major upsides to MT:
- shift what you want, when you want it. Of course, this is universal to all MT vehicles over AT.
- Torsen center differential, which continuously adjusts torque between the front and rear axles, delivering the max torque to whichever has the most traction. It can be locked, but that's rarely called for. AT only has an open transfer case which has just two conditions: open, or locked (while locked you shouldn't turn on dry pavement, and also TRAC is turned off).
Also, it is weird to describe, but on wet pavement, sometimes you can feel the torque moving around during heavy cornering under power. I'd read professional drivers describing the sensation when testing 4WD performance cars with a Torsen center diff and this was my first time to experience it, it really is an interesting feeling (though mine is supercharged which probably helps add to the ability to feel it clearly). Its no sports car, just that its traction under power is amazing, and very engaging.

Norm "MT" Kerr

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
If you use the throw out bearing a reason not to go with a MT you would be cheating yourself and acting foolishly . My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,415 Posts
My TOB has been chirping at me for 13yrs.....no issues. When its time to dive into a clutch job clutchmasters will be included.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Coming from the world of sports cars, I prefer driving a manual transmission and wondered if there's anything that I should be aware of pro or con about the 6-speeds in FJs.
How much do you plan on offroading? The automatic is easier to offroad: push the right buttons on the center console, push the gas petal and steer. Some people prefer the challenge, but know that you will have a harder time getting over some obstacles than people with automatics. You will also be more fatigued at the end of a long day offroading.

Technical differences: Throwout bearing addressed above. Center differential means AWD on the manual, which is better for road driving in questionable weather (the rest of us have to manually engage 4H).

Cost differences: being a manual can have a +/- effect on the price. Fewer people know how to drive them so they typically stay longer in dealer inventory, meaning you can haggle them down. But they're also more rare (the commonly estimated number is 10% of all FJ's built), which means if you absolutely have to have a specific year of Trail Teams FJ in a manual, there will be 0-2 for sale nationally at any one time. And if you show up thrilled to find the only one for sale, the right car salesman will figure out how badly you want it.

For fun on-road, I drive my manual NSX. For fun off-road, I drive my automatic 4Runner (formerly FJ). But the fun for me has always been getting away from all the Subaru's and finding a beautiful spot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
im not as technically knowledgeable as these other guys, but i have always bought sticks, cars, trucks, ATVs, i wont buy it unless its a stick, i just enjoy driving one, and now that my kids are driving, they are stick shift drivers also, which is pretty cool in this day and age.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No one has mentioned that the MT is full time 4WD. I too come from a history of manual cars - currently have an '05 Acura TL and a '95 Mitsubishi 3000GT-VR4, and both are MT's. But my '07 FJ is an AT for that one reason - I did not want full-time 4WD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
had 08 AT in montana it would go into traction control turning left from a stop light in winter and on winter interstate its rear wheel drive or not going over 50 in 4x. traded in on a new 2010 MT w/speed shifter no more problems-43,000 miles,service it myself, never been to the dealer.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Manual but if you insist on automatic make sure to find one thats been maintained right and an aftermarket oil cooler was fitted to it apart from regular transmission flush.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm shopping for my first FJ.
Thanks!
Bill
Hi Bill -

My '07 FJC with a perfect 6MT is up for sale in a classified eBay ad currently and I'm going to miss it tremendously. Let me know if you're interested. Under 160K miles with minor but satisfying modifications and an asking price of $10,700 obo.

I live in DeWitt, Michigan and would include the link but the board suspects spam. No spam...a fine machine instead.

Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Manual transmissions are now one of the best theft deterrents. Fewer and fewer drivers know how to operate one. My FJ is an auto. Wanted to maximize my MPG. If I need a manual fix, I'll jump into my MGB or Bullitt Mustang. That said, if I didn't have either of those I would have gotten the M/T FJ.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
I have an auto. I am very happy I learned to offroad with the AT. Often its much more pleasant offroading as well. On a trail for 8 hours can be like stop and go traffic and exhausting.

That said, if I were to buy another tomorrow I'd look for a MT. I do miss driving a stick, and now that I am attuned to offroading, I could do it in a MT. Plus I think the full-time 4wd would be very nice on-road. The RWD daily aspect is not as nice, especially in snow.

Be warned, MTs are a lot harder to find, and will only get more difficult. If you do find one, it will probably fetch more of a premium if you were to ever resell.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The FJ 6MT with Torsen center differential represents one of the most advanced 4WD systems ever made.The auto part-time 4WD is old school. While the AT may be "easier" to off-road with, the 6MT is always ready to go, no worries about gaining traction suddenly and binding up the transfer case. In low range 1st gear, I can crawl on hands and knees faster than the 6MT FJ locomotes at idle. I've been 4-wheeling since 1980, mostly in hunting scenarios, lately more recreational, in autos and sticks, all part-time except for the FJ 6MT. It's a game changer. Flame suit on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts