Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
I absolutely love my 6 speed MT, wouldnt trade it for the world, Its been chirping since I got it 4 years ago. The dealership swapped the clutch becasue of the chirp thinking that it was going out and about a week later it started again, after some research I learned about the chirping throw out bearing, im at 150k right now and whenever the clutch needs to be replaced I will buy the sleeve kit to stop the chirping, to be honest the only time I hear it is when I'm stopped at an intersection, if you don't like it push the clutch in.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
"whenever the clutch needs to be replaced I will buy the sleeve kit"

URD doesn't make the sleeve kit anymore (it didn't work), but the below kit does:

·
Registered
134 Posts
"whenever the clutch needs to be replaced I will buy the sleeve kit"

URD doesn't make the sleeve kit anymore (it didn't work), but the below kit does:

What do you mean it didn't work? There is someone with one for sale the URD one. does it damage something or does it just not stop the chirping?
Thank you for any insight!

·
Registered
2013 FJ OD Manual
118 Posts
New to 4X4. I love the feeling of shifting thru gears with a high flow air filter and muffler. I can only dream of the supercharger right now, but as you know, "A man without dreams is a man without purpose". :)

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
"What do you mean it didn't work?"

read up on the various threads here, what I read was this:
#1 the chirp is very changeable - some FJs never got it, some got it mildly, a few were terrible, and one (don't remember if it was FJ or Taco) the whole nose came off the front of the transmission.
The URD kit was designed to protect that nose, and stop the chirp, but some who used it still got the chirp. AFAIK URD has stopped making/selling it.
The internal hydraulic sleeve is a new solution and looks like it works. Those who've used it have reported 100% success with no return of the noise, but do realize that the total population of them, and their total miles is not as much as was with the URD, so time will tell, but because it is an approach that should eliminate the root cause of the chirp it should work.

Norm

·
Premium Member
12,204 Posts
URD still sells the quill sleeve upgrade. They stopped producing and selling their Hydroloc kit. It involved removing the quill completely and replacing it with a hydraulic throw out bearing from a 5th gen Camaro. It was a big risk because the quill and housing are one piece if things went south you need a new housing. From I remember it would only function with a URD clutch as well.
IMO the new one from Clutchmasters looks very promising.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts