Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone think? I am a '99 Land Cruiser owner and a previous '87 Pathfinder owner (5 speed stick). I frequently wheel around the Four Corners region here and was a true stickman with the Nissan. But now, I am rethinking that I will stay with the automatic with the new FJ.

What is your preference?

Chaz

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't do it! My "hold over" vehicle is a 2001 4Runner w/ auto and I hate it! I've always owned manual vehicles and my FJ will be a 6 speed!

You don't have the same control with an auto tranny, sure traffic sucks with a stick, but it's worth it. Auto trannys cost more to repair and way more to replace. a new clutch is nothing and I've never even had to replaced one, my record is 80k in a 1995.5 Tacoma, others have been over 60k with no issues.

No more "sissy sticks" for me!

D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Depends on how deep the tcase gears are.

Auto will make a 2.0 low feel like a 4.0 low..

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think manual is just some dumb male ego I am in control issue. I mean the automatic is the evolution of the automobile. As much as I would like to club women and drag them to my cave...I'd also like to think I've evolved.

Truthfully I live in a traffic congested city and the auto is the only logical option. I got carpel tunnel syndrome from posting on this forum...I don't need to go from first to second to neutral to first to neutral to first...to make it any worse.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
csherrill - I'm with ya there, but I will probably still go with a stick. It just feels better. Every automatic I have had, I hated. Every stick I've had - even if it was grossly underpowered - I enjoyed driving.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Southern California sucks for traffic, but i still prefer driving my 5speed 4runner to my wifes auto matrix. i just like it better, no better way to explain it than that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should think that Toyota will place a bypass switch in the FJ in the 6 speeds so that you can start it in gear. The old Pathfinder had it (called an interlock switch), and it helped me out of a few jams! Has anyone seen it in the new FJ?

No traffic issues here, how about the pros and cons of climbing some rough terrain? I'm thinking Moab, Canyonlands, and the San Juan mountains.

Chaz

·
Registered
204 Posts
csherrill said:
I think manual is just some dumb male ego I am in control issue. I mean the automatic is the evolution of the automobile. As much as I would like to club women and drag them to my cave...I'd also like to think I've evolved.
*grunt*

Prat angry! Prat smash stupid point box!

Cheers,
prat

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
a majority of toyota 4x4 have had this option over the years, called "clutch start cancel." even current tacomas have it, which are still fairly off-road oriented, so it would be fairly safe to assume that it will be included in the FJC.

the purpose of the switch, contrary to popular belief, is not so lazy people (such as myself) dont have to push the clutch in to start the truck. it is sort of a primitive form of "hill ascent assist," though is still leaves the driver in control of what the vehicle is doing, thus making it far superior to the computerized gizmos found on newer 4x4s. what you do is, when trying to start a stalled vehicle on a steep incline, put in in 1st, low range, and with the clutch engaged press the cancel switch and start the truck. meant to avoid having to mess with all those pedals while in a potentially dangerous situation, also makes it easier to avoid losing traction due to applying too much power while feathering the clutch. thats how i understand it, at least.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did I read correctly (on here) that the 6spd will only be full-time awd/4wd, and the auto will come w/shiftable transfer case (ie 2wd-4L-4H, etc)?

If so, is gas mileage going to be much different between the two setups?

What about if this TRD supercharger comes to fruition, will that accentuate the difference in gas consumption based off the two diff't tranny/transfer case setups?

Or, does it all just come down to how far(and often) the loud pedal is pressed?

(although w/TRD blower, having 2wd option (on the 6spd) would make for some righteous burnouts, I'd bet)...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Topless,

You are correct in your desciption of the clutch override switch. Start it gear and go! It sure helps in those situations where a clutch is tough to deal with...

·
Registered
52 Posts
If the 6 speed is full time 4wd and the auto is part time I'd definitely put money on the auto getting better MPG. In the tacoma where they're both part time the auto already gets better gas mileage estimates(17/21 to 16/20 for the manual).

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Mace said:
Depends on how deep the tcase gears are.

Auto will make a 2.0 low feel like a 4.0 low..
The low range on the 6 speed tacoma is 2.57:1 with a final drive of 3.73:1. I would guess that the FJ Cruiser will end up with similar ratios.

torque multiplication in the torque converter is one of the factors that make the auto appealing off road, that and the fact that you dont lose as momentum downshifting. ill probably still end up with a stick though, they are just more fun to drive for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
csherrill said:

Truthfully I live in a traffic congested city and the auto is the only logical option. I got carpel tunnel syndrome from posting on this forum...I don't need to go from first to second to neutral to first to neutral to first...to make it any worse.
Sorry, but I disagree. In fact manuals are making a come back, you can even get a Honda Accord in a 6 speed now. Logic has nothing to do with it, some people are just more into their driving.

Also any "real" sports car comes in either manual or tiptronic (Ferrari and others) shifting, either way you are in control of the transmission, not some computer that for the most part has no clue.

Autos are better these days for sure, for example Honda with five speed autos with grade logic (much better on hills).

As for the male issue, I agree men probably prefer manuals, but my ex preferred to drive manuals. I also sold my 2000 4Runner (5 speed) to a couple and it was the wife that had to have the manual tranny!

D

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I get bored when I drive an automatic. I feel like I'm not really driving. Like Prat says... Auto=point, manual=drive.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
That I don't know. I wish I would have thought to ask.

·
Registered
378 Posts
chaz said:
What does everyone think? I am a '99 Land Cruiser owner and a previous '87 Pathfinder owner (5 speed stick). I frequently wheel around the Four Corners region here and was a true stickman with the Nissan. But now, I am rethinking that I will stay with the automatic with the new FJ.

What is your preference?

Chaz

Chaz

You'll just have to test drive both. You will know once the time has come. It's all about your choice. I'm sure all models will be awesome. I also have an eclipse and man are there some heated debates over auto vs manual. Whole different ballgame with the Fj.
My problem is that I want the manual on the trail, but will hate having it in daily traffic. A lot of us may have trouble with this Chaz !!!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts