Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am in no way a mechanic, but I have done all the work on my FJ thus far. Please let me know if this is just a ridiculous question because I missed something during my research. :program:

After rausch the other week I've been trying to determine what needs to be done for 35s. The consensus seems to be 4.56/4.88 gearing based on numerous forums, but I'm getting hung up on my transfer case. :confused: (After talking with Pete at Mainland Overland Main Line Overland he convinced me that a rockjock 60 or F9 currie axle would be the way to go since I have the 8" diff in the rear, but that's another topic.)

My goal is a regear to 4.88, I've been crawling with a JK on 37s quite a bit. (I will make it up shoot the moon...1 day :rofl:) Because the manual trans FJ is a fulltime 4 wheel drive I'm concerned I will burn up the front gears on the highway. I'm aware that ECGS does a 5yr warranty but this is my only vehicle. I don't want to put myself in the position of getting to work being a gamble. Has anyone else done the regear on a manual trans to 4.88 and not made a conversion for part time 4wd? I'm aware of the inchworm or marlins as a possible solution but my wallet isn't bottomless unfortunately. Thoughts and/or experiences?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as your ratios are the same in the front and rear, I don't see why you would have any issues.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I'm mostly concerned with how thin the teeth become with the 488 on a 8" ring. Would the CVs would fail before the front diff anyway? Reading the taco forums I found a few doing 529s. Am I worried about something that will never be an issue?

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
I'm mostly concerned with how thin the teeth become with the 488 on a 8" ring. Would the CVs would fail before the front diff anyway? Reading the taco forums I found a few doing 529s. Am I worried about something that will never be an issue?

It's hard to tell what will fail first, but usually the CVs are the weak point in the front driveline.

I would worry about the rear more than I would the front.

Give chase a call at ecgs....very knowledgeable and helpful.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Agreed, I would worry about the rear more than the front. Sounds like your on the right path in the rear. If still some hesitation go with 4.56 gears instead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts