Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 Cruiser with a manual transmission and there are a couple of things that really bum me out on this vehicle. First of all, when you come to a stop, when the car is at normal operating temperature, the idle races to about 1400 and stays up there for about 3 or 4 seconds which causes the following conditions:

When you try to put the car into 1st gear, it has a hard time going into 1st gear.

When you are decelerating down to stop with the transmission in 1st or 2nd gear, when the car slows down, all of a sudden and unexpectedly, it takes off by itself like you applied the gas a little bit. This almost caused me to rear end another car before.

Another thing is, when you shift from gear to gear, the RPM won't go down, it stays high up which causes excessive wear on the clutch and transmission. There is also absolutely no engine braking down the hill. The car just hauls butt down the hill no matter what gear you have it in. My last trip from the mountains - I had to have it in 1st gear to slow down and my brakes were getting totally overheated on that long downhill. All of this also causes even worse gas mileage than it was already getting!

On top of everything, the idle stays at around 900 at times - this is it's newest thing.

Oh, and let's not forget my favorite....the other day I was driving in the mountains with my son and taking a corner (not slow, but not extremely fast), when all of a sudden, the car slammed the brakes on it's own and I thought we were going to die! If we didn't have seat belts on, it would have thrown us through the windshield. Not cool, when you are on a mountain road with cliffs everywhere! I am really kind of disappointed with the whole vehicle. I have a 99 Tacoma (which also has the electronic throttle body) and it's nothing like it.

These conditions just make the car totally unsafe.

Please! If anyone knows of fixes for the above problems, I would really appreciate it because I am afraid that if I take it to the dealer, they are just going to say (no problem found - which I experienced before when I had a Tundra (also a POS). I am a certified BMW technician, so I don't think I am crazy, but these issues are driving me crazy!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
When you are decelerating down to stop with the transmission in 1st or 2nd gear, when the car slows down, all of a sudden and unexpectedly, it takes off by itself like you applied the gas a little bit. This almost caused me to rear end another car before.

Another thing is, when you shift from gear to gear, the RPM won't go down, it stays high up which causes excessive wear on the clutch and transmission. There is also absolutely no engine braking down the hill. The car just hauls butt down the hill no matter what gear you have it in. My last trip from the mountains - I had to have it in 1st gear to slow down and my brakes were getting totally overheated on that long downhill. All of this also causes even worse gas mileage than it was already getting!

On top of everything, the idle stays at around 900 at times - this is it's newest thing.

Oh, and let's not forget my favorite....the other day I was driving in the mountains with my son and taking a corner (not slow, but not extremely fast), when all of a sudden, the car slammed the brakes on it's own and I thought we were going to die! If we didn't have seat belts on, it would have thrown us through the windshield. Not cool, when you are on a mountain road with cliffs everywhere! I am really kind of disappointed with the whole vehicle. I have a 99 Tacoma (which also has the electronic throttle body) and it's nothing like it.

I would switch to decaf :rocker:

I am very stoked with my Cruisers engine braking capabilities. when towing I like to keep the RPM's between 3 to 3500 when Cruising for a solid Flowmaster tone. On steep graded highway downhills I keep it in 4th and the torque keeps me at 60 mph.
When rolling without a trailor I agree that the slow rpm drop is a pain and doesnt give much engine braking. As far as your brakes suddenly applying themselves. Sounds like you need to have that addressed by the dealer:mecry:

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have an 07 Cruiser with a manual transmission and there are a couple of things that really bum me out on this vehicle. First of all, when you come to a stop, when the car is at normal operating temperature, the idle races to about 1400 and stays up there for about 3 or 4 seconds which causes the following conditions:
Yeah, that's the way it is...not much you can do about it, but it's OK - it doesn't actually hurt anything

When you try to put the car into 1st gear, it has a hard time going into 1st gear.
Most every manual tranny Toyota tranny I have owned has been like that. I'ts simply the nature of the beast and how it works. Get used to it and learn to go to neutral first with clutch let off.

Uuhhh, have never experienced anything like this with my 6M/T - See a dealer if this is a real issue and not driver [bad habits].

Hhmmm. Plenty of engine breaking on my 6M/T - strange, see a dealer immediately.

Every Toyota I have ever owned has bobbled around 800-900RPM. IT'S SUPPOSE TO.

See a dealer immediately!

...BMW ...
Uuhhh. BMW's are weird mechanically.

A.W.D.

·
Registered
387 Posts
your engine will cycle the compressor even though the air is not on... if you have your dial set to defrost (the last 2 settings on the right) the compressor cylcles it dehumidifies i guess...set you heater to anything but the last 2 defrosts settings,, and you idle won't kick up.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have a 2007 6MT and have never had a problem with engine braking downhill, random power surges or my brakes locking up...I agree you should definately take it in.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I can understand the surging idle as we have throttle-by-wire and I'm sure it could get a glitch or something but how does a car "slam the brakes on" by itself?? It's a mechanical system that requires pressure on the pedal? Maybe your son pulled the handbrake on you??

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I haven't had any of the issues you are dealing with on my 07 6 speed. I have a tuned unichip... maybe that would help???

About the breaks slamming on by themselves... Are you sure it wasn't VSC kicking in? Sounds like you lost traction around the turn and the system was put in action. I personally don't like electronic traction controll systems.... just weirds me out when the car thinks for itself (even though it is probably smarter than I). Maybe something is wrong with the VSC system, because it shouldn't break hard enough to throw you through the windshield under any conditions.

My experience with dealerships has led me to avoid them at all costs, but if you trust them take it in or take it to a mechanic you trust.

·
Premium Member
13,654 Posts
Strange....I have not seen or felt any of the issues you described on my 6MT. I would try another dealer.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
The computer makes the R's climb for several reasons,
to increase pressure in the hydrolic controled devises
such as steering, to increase electrical power do to
power useage or surge, to run the AC compressure to
cool to your selected temp', and also to help with the
shifting of the MT6, unlike the old days when the
driver would have to feather the throttle and clutch
to pefection in order to get a smooth shift... IMO....

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
I have had none of your complaints on my MT6 either. The brake issue could be the Brake assist. I have had it kick in once when I didn't think I was braking that hard to turn onto my street, but the ABS system apparently disagreed.

Brake Assist (BA) In emergencies, some drivers, especially inexperienced ones, often panic and do not apply sufficient pressure on the brake pedal. Brake Assist measures the speed and force with which the brake pedal is pushed to determine whether the driver is attempting an emergency stop. If the system determines that is the case, it applies additional brake pressure to allow the driver to take full advantage of the ABS brake system. When the driver intentionally eases up on the brake pedal, the system reduces the amount of assistance it provides. This feature comes with VSC. Toyota Glossary

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
No real problems with the exception of the occasional hang up between gears, but my Taco does it too.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
None of those problems on our '07 6 speed MT. Strange.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I have no issues like that either, get the dealer involved!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I guess I notice the RPM hang a little, but it doesn't present any problems for me at this point. The FJ is the smoothest shifting, easies clutch i've driven.

Bandi,
you said something about power surge being a factor. I have a voltage stabilizer on my rig.... would this help any? It really keeps the voltage nice and steady. Never any sharp spikes according to the digital voltage gauge I have.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
I guess I notice the RPM hang a little, but it doesn't present any problems for me at this point. The FJ is the smoothest shifting, easies clutch i've driven.

Bandi,
you said something about power surge being a factor. I have a voltage stabilizer on my rig.... would this help any? It really keeps the voltage nice and steady. Never any sharp spikes according to the digital voltage gauge I have.
What I was trying to say really is that the FJ
will idle up for many reasons on it's own, and
it is designed to do just that in many situations...

As far a voltage stabilzer, that would help keep
your accessories on a stable flow, but what I
was mentioning was that say you kicked on 4
kick-arse offroad lights, the FJ would see the
drain/useage of power and kick the idle up a tad
to compensate, the same as far as any of the
other items I mentioned and some I don't even
know about...

Again, It is design to do it for a reason... :D...

-----------------------------------------------

As far as the issue that was mentioned, above
somewhere, about the brakes acting weird during
a turning stop... It is part of the safety system,
traction control/vsc/antilock brakes, and under a
load stress like turning and braking, it is trying to
prevent a loss of traction/skid...

I mentioned this way back in June of 06' I believe,
about my FJ, that after I added the lift and different
size tire, the FJ started acting weird, but I have
come to relize that the safety system was not
designed with my diameter or tire width in mined,
and the reaction to different situations will be a tad
different... This is something you must compensate
for, meaning, drive it for what it is or you have
created... If you drove a tractor trailer, you would
certainly not take a corner like you were driving a
viper...

I also saw this on my wifes stock FJ and mine, that
even while braking and hitting a pothole, would set
of the saftey systems, but again, I got used to it
and drove accordingly, keeping safe distances and
such...

( Just going on uneducated experience )...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I think there are couple, possibly unrelated, issues here...

The hanging RPM thing - not dropping down between shifts - appears to be a trait of the FJ. This was the first thing I noticed when I test drove it... figured I was causing it somehow. 12,000 miles later, still does it... don't really notice. it. Could be a heavy flywheel... who knows. It's a trade off, e.g. light flywheel lets the RPM drop down faster - (a product of compression vs. resistance), but makes launching/starting/crawling (and shifting) harder or not as smooth. Don't quote me... just going on uneducated experience.

The rest of the issues do seem to be unique to your FJ. So get the dealership to figure them out. But don't expect that RPM between shift thing to go away.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
yet another MT w/out issues of any kind....15K miles and 1 year of ownership :)

It's not the design...either you have a freak lemon vehicle or this post is negative :spam:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts