Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was starting to notice this problem before the summit but it seems worse now. When I'm in low range, I can't shift into 1st gear on my 6MT unless I'm completely stopped or if I "double-clutch" like the old non-synchronized manuals. If I try while moving, the gears grind and it may or may not go into gear. During the summit, I noticed that the tranny was starting to grind a little going in to other gears as well, particularly 3rd gear but sometimes 2nd too. It will go into those gears while moving though.

It doesn't do this while in 4H or AWD, so it seems specifically linked to 4L. My 6MT has always shifted "stiffer" than any other manual I've owned, but it always goes into gear fine and never grinds. Anyone else have this problem or know what I'm looking at? I may just take it to the dealer later this week...:boohoo:

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Interesting....I'd definitely take it in since it's still under warranty. It's curious that it only does it in low....since the trans is separate from the t-case.....

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Unless you are trying to shift at too high of
an RPM, I would have to dealer check it out
under warranty...

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
How many miles do you have on the FJ?

Could be the clutch (there're threads related to premature wear). It may not be noticable in higher ranges, but if you've got a worn out clutch you'll find it more difficult to engage at lower gear range...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting....I'd definitely take it in since it's still under warranty. It's curious that it only does it in low....since the trans is separate from the t-case.....
Shane4x4, I know you have a manual tranny. Can you shift easily into 1st in low range, say below 5 mph?

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
^^^ maybe not a wornout clutch, but the slave
cylinder, or clutch adjustment, not sure which
the FJ has, but even if the clutch is worn, and
you depress the peddle, it should dis-engage,
unless the fingers are defective on the pressure
plate...

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
That's true, Bandi. But, if the springs in the clutch are worn or shot, then that could do it...

In any case, it's not normal, and if under warranty by all means it should be taken back to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
13,654 Posts
I just took a drive around our shop in 4lo, no problems shifting into first from second.

Guys from the shop must think I am nuts, speed up.....slow down.....speed up......slow down.........stop.........etc, finished my lap an came back in.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: called the dealer, am taking it in tomorrow a.m. Thet seemed a little confused on the "only happens in 4Lo" thing, so I may print all these responses for them to peruse for ideas. Thanks all!:spam:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How many miles do you have on the FJ?

Could be the clutch (there're threads related to premature wear). It may not be noticable in higher ranges, but if you've got a worn out clutch you'll find it more difficult to engage at lower gear range...
Sorry I missed your question the first time I read your post: a little over 26,000 miles.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I dropped the FJ off at 7:30 this a.m. Still no word. They said if they have to order parts it may need to stay overnight. Hopefully all will be taken care of, I'm supposed to go camping this weekend...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got a call from the dealership. Mechanically everything checks out fine, fluids are okay, no damage from the Summit:bigthumb:. However, he said several of their techs couldn't replicate the problem, other than a "slight" grinding going into 1st gear 4Lo. Service Rep said that you do need to come to a complete stop to shift down into 1st gear when in 4Lo due to the synchros meshing at that low of a gearing. Does this sound right to anyone else?:confused:

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
It may not be the case with the Toyota transmission, but my 03/5spd and 05/6spd Jeep Rubicon's did it. I rarely used 1st when in 4LO.. You could actually feel the resistance when downshifting from 2nd to 1st. Ron

Got a call from the dealership. Mechanically everything checks out fine, fluids are okay, no damage from the Summit:bigthumb:. However, he said several of their techs couldn't replicate the problem, other than a "slight" grinding going into 1st gear 4Lo. Service Rep said that you do need to come to a complete stop to shift down into 1st gear when in 4Lo due to the synchros meshing at that low of a gearing. Does this sound right to anyone else?:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I dunno, I can accept that explanation regarding the meshing, if the clutch was still engaged (although technically the clutch is never fully disengaged, just less pressure is applied when clutching), but coming to a full stop sounds strange, but maybe necessary for the FJ.

But, I don't have a fairly new manual transmission in my FJ (I've got an auto), and the 185K on my old Taco with the 5-speed won't be a good comparison. So, maybe you will experience the grinding while relatively new (26K is not that many miles). Any other manual trans guys with more mileage have any different behavior?

Of course, you might try a different dealer for a second opinion, as well.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not sure if I accept the answer. I need the FJ for this weekend but the service rep invited me to come down and show them when I have time again, so I might do that. It's always frustrating as he!! when a shop can't replicate a problem...:flame:

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Sorry I didn't see your question earlier....I know that in my FJ I have to be going 'slow' to shift into 1st, in hi or low range. I NEVER have to double clutch, but I do have to put some 'pressure' on it to drop it into 1st. I used 1st in low EXTENSIVELY at the summit (black bear twice), and it works just as it always has. I've driven 3 different manual FJ's & they all work like this. I'd have to drive yours to tell you if it feels right.

With that being said, I don't really know much about manual trannys, so I wouldn't know if it was broken until it quit working.

Which dealer?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Banned
126 Posts
When i had mine it happened all the time. Good thing i sold that piece of crap. Toyota pretends that they have a good quality product. My old FJ was ****

1 - 20 of 27 Posts