Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There. I just moved to USA from Europe. My job is in the Silicon Valley, California, a place full of... Priuses. I want an FJ with the following 'features', in order of importance:
  • manual transmission
  • base version (I'll add the features I need by myself)
  • blue
My wife is sponsoring this configuration too :)

Now, it seems it is not possible to have any manual shift at all. The places I've visited do not have any manual transmission and even a search in their computer systems does not find any result. They just told me that maybe I could find a used 07.

Using the Toyota website anyway, I feel like if I insert a zip code which is not in California (Nevada, Utah etc) I have more options. I don't mind waiting a few weeks (I still have to receive my SSN yet and get a California driving license anyway) or flying somewhere to get my car and drive home.

Any advice on where to find the aforementioned configuration is very welcome...

thank you
Alessio

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Hi There. I just moved to USA from Europe. My job is in the Silicon Valley, California, a place full of... Priuses. I want an FJ with the following 'features', in order of importance:
  • manual transmission
  • base version (I'll add the features I need by myself)
  • blue
My wife is sponsoring this configuration too :)

Now, it seems it is not possible to have any manual shift at all. The places I've visited do not have any manual transmission and even a search in their computer systems does not find any result. They just told me that maybe I could find a used 07.

Using the Toyota website anyway, I feel like if I insert a zip code which is not in California (Nevada, Utah etc) I have more options. I don't mind waiting a few weeks (I still have to receive my SSN yet and get a California driving license anyway) or flying somewhere to get my car and drive home.

Any advice on where to find the aforementioned configuration is very welcome...

thank you
Alessio
Hi Alessio,

Welcome to the forum. Sei d'Italia?... I just did the opposite move one week ago... from Northern CA to Europe. My husband was a Prius driver in Silicon Valley, ha!!

Myself, I drive the manual transmission, blue. They had to make some calls to other dealers, but the manuals are around. I fully understand your need for this -- I hate automatic transmission. You may need to get out of Silicon Valley and try some other dealers in the Bay Area (or easier to just call by phone). Don't settle! Some dealers are just lazy.... or they want to sell you what THEY have, not what some other dealer has.

good luck and welcome to the Silicon Valley rat race! :wave:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Be patient and you'll find one. I have plenty of friends with MTs so they are out there. Base model is fine as long as you have the rear diff lock and Atrac

·
Registered
627 Posts
Be patient and you'll find one. I have plenty of friends with MTs so they are out there. Base model is fine as long as you have the rear diff lock and Atrac
x2 defiantly be sure to get it with these features. I also had problems getting a manual in New York I'm sure it has something to do with the state as we have the same emissions laws. Good luck, I would recommend just ordering one thats what I did it took 2 months however its worth the wait.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Ditto, people are beginning to bail out of them because of fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
They do exist. But it will be tough to find a dealer willing to configure one for you, especially without the lucrative option packages they want you to buy.

Since the bottom has fallen out of the SUV market with gas prices soaring, it will be doubly hard - they will want to sell yuo what they have on the lot.

You might do best by contacting a volume dealer, like Longo toyota in Southern California. They're more likely to have what you want in stock.

I eventually caved - it was hard enough to find the MT in the color I wanted. To try and find one with minimal packages made it darn near impossible. So I bought one with packages that would help in resale - particlarly the Convenience Package and UP1, which gave me the colored interior panels, as well as steering wheel controls, CControl, and the side airbags.

Good luck.

Sandi

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
Welcome ManoWeb, Don't despair, you can contact a dealer in Reno, NV, that may help. It's only 200 miles from the bay area and it's a great drive.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
499 Posts
be extremely patient. at least you didn't want a special edition 6mt.... i had to wait for months to get it, then they had to drive it in from 400 miles away.

it was worth it. don't fall into the lazy american style of automatic transmissions!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
it was worth it. don't fall into the lazy american style of automatic transmissions!
Hey I take offense at that. Nothing wrong with autos.

·
Registered
534 Posts
We wanted manual too.....and like everyone else says a little patience and one will come your way.

If it doesn't have a shirt shifter I highly recommend installing/getting one installed.

They are fabulous!

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
That is what I drive.

But I have done some mods, I could take them all off though if you want. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Since this is a flame free zone (which means you get an infraction for flaming me) -- please keep in mind that the autos, while not quite as cool perform BETTER off-road and get better mileage around town. I wanted a M/T, settled for an auto, and wouldn't go back.

The better off-road thing has to do with clutching over rocks, etc. The auto allows you to go slow and steady and is much less likely to stall. I've logged a lot of trail miles on my FJ and there was never a time when I said, "man, I wish I had a M/T".

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've logged a lot of trail miles on my FJ and there was never a time when I said, "man, I wish I had a M/T".
HAHA... I was looking up at all those rocks and a really steep incline on my first trail ride when the FJ started to make a puttering sound ....

I thought :eek::eek::eek::eek: F#@* the short shifter I brag about and love to use mallcrawling around .........town......this is **** scarier in STICK :eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
192 Posts
I got my TT in 6 speed and only SE and CQ packages with a little dealer to dealer trading. Do some inventory searches on the dealer website. NM, CO, and WY had some 6 speed. Most dealer websites use a standard format and you can select a 6 speed MT first and filter out a lot and select FJ colors for the next filter. You can get most cars shipped for about $600 and many in NM were willing to do so. I think it is a buyer's market for SUV's and you can find what you want but dealers only want to sell you what they have. You do have to keep in mind a lot of dealers don't know jack. I even had one dealer tell me he had a 2007 Trail Teams in Titanium...hmm. Use the internet to your advantage and I even set up a gmail account just to feed into websites and gave no-one my phone numbers.. Have patience

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Alessio,
Welcome to the forum. Sei d'Italia?... I just did the opposite move one week ago... from Northern CA to Europe. My husband was a Prius driver in Silicon Valley, ha!!
Si sono italiano ;)
Well thanks for the advice, I may have actually found something interesting - and also at an interesting price. I will let you know how it goes!!!

bye
Alessio

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All the manual transmission are equipped with read diff lock right? And for Atrac, it should be enough to connect a switch right? I remember I saw a number of websites about this "trick"

bye
Alessio

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since this is a flame free zone (which means you get an infraction for flaming me) -- please keep in mind that the autos, while not quite as cool perform BETTER off-road and get better mileage around town. I wanted a M/T, settled for an auto, and wouldn't go back.
Well you may be right especially on sand or similar. But the manual may have worse mileage in town because it is a permanent 4x4 right?

Anyway, I like the manual shift. It is something I just like, that makes me feel better when I drive, that is why I want it.

Thank you!
Alessio

1 - 18 of 18 Posts