Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the new FJC can be towed without damage? (such as behind a motorhome) Hope Toyota built this into their design for both the manual and auto trans. :confused:

How about your preferrence on transmissions? Manual or auto? :rolleyes:

Curious about other potential buyers thoughts with regards to trans and ability to tow...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well, to answer that question we need to know wheather or not the FJ has a neutral position in the T-case. if not it is not safe to tow with all four tires on the ground, but I'm pretty sure you could still use a dolly. I'm not completely sure, hopefully somebody with more experience towing vehicles will be able to chime in.

As for transmision preference, its up to you, buddy. Its a matter of personal preference. I personally will never buy an auto anything, but if you want to buy a slushbox its up to you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
HunkerDown said:
Anyone know if the new FJC can be towed without damage? (such as behind a motorhome) Hope Toyota built this into their design for both the manual and auto trans. :confused:

How about your preferrence on transmissions? Manual or auto? :rolleyes:

Curious about other potential buyers thoughts with regards to trans and ability to tow...
You have to check with the manufacturer. My buddy just bought a Jeep Liberty to tow behind a big RV. He said that there are only a few vehicles to tow w/o having a transmission issue. Not sure about the FJ.

Read the "Manual or Automatic" thread about preferences other than towing...

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Might I recommend a toy-trailer. Dragging a car still puts miles on it. There's wear on the drivetrain, tires and stuff, in a trailer or on a trailer, you don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chaz said:
Read the "Manual or Automatic" thread about preferences other than towing...
Thanks Chaz, didn't see that thread...

Only a few auto's are "designed" for towing 4-wheels-down. Just having a transfercase neutral isn't enough. That transfercase rear bearing has to get oiled. My Travelall requires that the driveshaft be removed for towing any distance. :mad: Too much work!

I've got my fingers crossed that Toyota realizes that the new FJ makes an ideal motorhome toad and does the right thing. Some of the older manual 4Runners can be towed, but the new manual and auto's can not. Don't want to mess with a trailer, dolly, driveshaft quick-release or electric oiler if possible.

LISTEN UP TOYOTA, MAKE THE FJ TOWABLE IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY!

PLEASE!!! ;)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Okay, totally off-topic but I would love to see a pic of that big ole international!

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Percy said:
Might I recommend a toy-trailer. Dragging a car still puts miles on it. There's wear on the drivetrain, tires and stuff, in a trailer or on a trailer, you don't have to worry about it.
you could always convert to manual hubs all 4 corners. ... until your buddies notice them and unlock 'em at un-oppotrune times....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Percy said:
Okay, totally off-topic but I would love to see a pic of that big ole international!
Don't have a picture of my never ending work in progress, but I have a cover photo of a 66 Travelall Sales Brochure scanned. Has a sweet thang holding a yard stick across the hood and reads, "SIZE UP THE ADVENTUROUS ONES". Probably quite provacative for the time. Can't seem to get it uploaded...

... for every animal others refuse to eat, you will eat 3 and the T-all will crush 6! :eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Topless4runner said:
you could always convert to manual hubs all 4 corners. ... until your buddies notice them and unlock 'em at un-oppotrune times....
Interesting thought. Might even be able to put locking hubs on a Full-Floater rear axle. Could make for some interesting conversation and finger pointing at the rear hubs too.

Be on gard when wheelin' with Topless. When your eyes are looking the other way, he just might pull a fast one! ;)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'm starting to see that as well - Topless might just be that hornery type!

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
im innocent as a babe, trust me....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Percy said:
Hey Percy (off topic)-

Here is a link to another Binder fan's Travelall he has labeled "TERROR-ALL" that will give you and others an idea of what an 68 International Harvester Travelall 4x4 looks like if you all don't already know:

TERROR-ALL

These old Binder beast's never die. Wonderful utility and only the basics inside, but not the best daily driver's (hoping the FJC will meet that need and more...). Rear seat folds forward and removes. Mine has a tailagte with an electric window within it in back instead of the barn doors on this one. Roll down the all the windows and you have a 50's-60's style hard-top convertible feel while driving. Stick a long-board out the back and cruise down Pacific Coast Highway and just watch all the rubber-neck surfers drool!!! :cool: (kind of reminds me of the old Ford Woody 4x4 Jesse James did on his TV show)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
That thing is SWEET! Can it make it past more than one gas station without being required to make a stop?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine has got three gas tanks. I think it totals to about +/- 50 gallons. At about 14mpg highway (16 at best with a tail wind ;) ) that's ### miles. I'll let you do the calc's. One thing is for sure, the monsterous 392V8 has endless torque and power.

By the way... my newphew just walked in and he says the FJC came by his work "without" the covers all over it recently! He has been seeing it and other cars for months in the SAM's Club on Beach Blvd. in Stanton. The testers seem to have made this location a "smoke break" stop.

Looks like we are getting close if they have pulled the covers for all the public to see!!! OHHH-YAAAAA....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts