Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post ever. I'd like to add some HELLA map lights for maps / reading, etc. The dome lights seem to only be for general lighting. Looking at hardwire and mounting it / them into the dash right next to the Multi-Information Display (MID) module. Does anyone know what is under the skin on the dash? Anything suitable to hold some screws? I'd also like to route the wiring under the MID. There must be access through there. Any help is appreciated.:confused:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
no answers for you, but definately report back with your findings. this is worthwhile research. if i could fund you i would.

carry on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be going with at least one 19" HELLA with the built-in switch. I had them in my LR D-90 and they put out great light just where you want it. They'll need to be wired so that they can be used all the time. I'm guessing that won't be too tough, but I'm not an wiring guy either. We'll see.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bought this on ebay for 11 bucks. Thought I'd see what you guys think. It's from an 05 Tacoma or Tundra. When I get it I'll snap some before and after shots.
8f_1.jpg

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
I was wondering about putting a couple of LED lights in center console under the heater/AC control knobs. Thinking of drilling holes on bottom of center console shroud and wiring a switch. This would provide map lights low without taking awat from clean interior look. Thoughts? Anyone done this already on another vehicle?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm wondering if just upgrading the dome light to an LED might help shed more light on the subject :( LOL

There's been discussion about LEDs for the wing mirror lights from this site:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

maybe they have a bulb that'll at least tweak things a bit overall (not a substitute for direct task lighting of course).

In looking at the owners manual I don't see the spec for the cabin dome light otherwise I'd have dug a bit deeper into the LED options

·
Registered
249 Posts
oldawg said:
LED's typically are not brighter than incandescent bulbs they use alott less power
I'm not sure I agree but could be wrong since I only have one situation to compare it to:

I have a cluster of LED's for a brake/tail light on one of my motorcycles and it's significantly brighter than the incandescent bulb in the tail/brake light of the other (day or night). I realize it's hardly scientific but I can see the difference (and thankfully so can the guys in cages behind me in traffic!) Yes, it also draws less power.

Just leads (or is that LEDs? :D) me to think that if there is a cluster of LEDs in the dome light it *might* make a difference. I'm happy to pay for the experiment if someone will loan me an FJ since we're still in the queue :)

edit: I should make clear that yes, I realize that overall incandest is brighter -- I'm just wondering if an LED cluster might be brighter in this situation

·
Registered
464 Posts
A friend of mine used some (blue) LED "cannon" (think tubes) mounted on the B-pillars +switch to light up the second seat in his xB... worked well enough for locating things in the dark without blinding the driver... not sure about visibility / reading... but I'm thinking of investigating it.

now... just let me remember his username on those scion freak forums...

·
Registered
464 Posts
course ... if you REALLY want to see what your doing you'll use something like this:
PDF warning

- it's a 6.75x 3.75x1.25 array of white LEDS that the TV camera folks use.
comes with a handy-dandy cig adaptor

litepanels makes em

course they're only a couple thousand°K ... if you REALLY want to wake up the neighbors... well

lets talk spots.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
EJR,

Great Idea! I love the putting lights under the AC thing. maybe install an LED or Light housing. Anyone know where I can get a pushbutton switch that would identically replace one of the unused button dummies below?

T

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
wow, 14 year old thread, not sure if anyone involved is even still alive / owns an FJ :)

There are some really neat map lamp conversion threads on here, but what many of us have done is simply install LED light panel into our center lamp which hugely improves the inside light situation, without having to cut into the headliner.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts