Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The interior light, while useful in illuminating the interior of the FJ in a general sense is not useful as a map light or for illuminating objects in the forward part of the cabin at night.

A dedicated map light with higher intensity light should be placed behind the rear-view mirror. I can't count the times when I wanted that light and had to search for a hand flashlight to use to illuminate maps or other items that required scrutiny. I've had passenger cars by Toyota where these features were standard. I don't know why they weren't included in the FJ Cruiser.

Some forum members have come up with workable solutions and have crafted useful lights that are sold here on the forum, however it should be/have been an OEM solution.

·
Registered
500 Posts
i would like to see this too, if not behind the rear view just along with the setup of the light in the center of the fj with like you said intense lights into the center console area

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
More interior light please :)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
The interior light, while useful in illuminating the interior of the FJ in a general sense is not useful as a map light or for illuminating objects in the forward part of the cabin at night.

A dedicated map light with higher intensity light should be placed behind the rear-view mirror. I can't count the times when I wanted that light and had to search for a hand flashlight to use to illuminate maps or other items that required scrutiny. I've had passenger cars by Toyota where these features were standard. I don't know why they weren't included in the FJ Cruiser.

Some forum members have come up with workable solutions and have crafted useful lights that are sold here on the forum, however it should be/have been an OEM solution.
I agree that there should be at least a basic map light. The center console with built-in map lights (we have seen the mods people have done) is a step above, but would be more money in the manf. Which would be more preferable?

BTW: I thought you installed low cost LED lights above the driver and passenger for night reading?

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts

Absolutly agree that it should have ben an OEM item. Can't believe Toyota didn't have more lighting.
I installed the Swiss... light and its great.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I agree that there should be at least a basic map light. The center console with built-in map lights (we have seen the mods people have done) is a step above, but would be more money in the manf. Which would be more preferable?
Center console w/stowage could be an upgrade...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Im was looking through the "New Features" PDF on the 2009 model and I see they added maplights for the front on the 2009 model.
It seems to be integrated with the interior light found in the 2007-8 models.
I would think this is a direct bolt in. Fulltime live power is already there, I would think this could be an easy replacement.

Has anyone ordered this? Is there any way to look up parts on the internet? With diagrams?

For my BMW motorcycle I can go through microfiche diagrams and order parts online.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
On my last car, auto dim mirrors with lights were a $400 option. So I went on Ebay and got a used one for cheap and installed it.

No reason you can't do this with an FJ. Might be a bear getting it to fit the ball mount but where there's a will there's a way.

Absolutely stupid that they put such poor lighting in this truck. Not even any floor lighting and even a goddam $10K KIA has that.

Like this:
eBay Motors: 96-00 Sebring Convertible rear view mirror auto dim map (item 400010174732 end time Nov-24-08 20:46:03 PST)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts