Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Banned
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, here is the finalized thread for a day of wheeling and pictures. This is a new thread to pick up where we left off in the Photography thread.

Saturday, March 15, 2008, run to Anza-Borrego.

I will make this for March 15th for those that wanna do a local thing instead of the weekend Glamis trip. Don't let this sway you from the Glamis trip! It's my birthday, I wanna go wheeling (aka get stuck so one of you can pull me out again), and Mrs FJDave and I NEED (read - DESPERATELY NEED) a little time off.

Edit* The OC and LA people will meet at the Mervyn's parking lot on Alicia Parkway, east of the 5 Fwy at 7:45 AM, departure time is 8:00 AM. We will then drive out to the 78 and inland from there. We will meet the San Diego people at the Visitor's Center between 11:30 and noon. We will have an opportunity to gas up and have some lunch before heading in to the park. Coyote Canyon and Henderson Canyon are the best flower photog opportunities right now, per the rangers.

We will be on CB channel 5, and if there's too much chatter we'll go to channel 7. We will monitor those channels for anyone who may be late, see another FJ on the road and wanna say hi, etc. BTW, if anyone has an SWR meter, can you bring it to help me tune my new antenna? :D

If anyone has any questions, PM me or kokopeli for our cell numbers. I forgot to ask him, but I think kokopeli will be leading the charge to AB since he's been there a few times.

So far, we have:

FJDave
FJamming
Spidey
Bigkid
Seal13il?
PokerDawg
FJ4J
Dirtchick?
LBCAFJ
fjessence
Acetechno?

Anyone else? We need someone to take the point since I've never been there.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Thanks for thinking of me Dave but I can't do this one.

I'm looking forward to all of your pics. :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
what would be the time & meeting point? are we camping?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am up for this. How about we meet at one of the gas stations in Borrego springs around 9:45. I am thinking of running Coyote canyon this Sat or Sun if anyone wants to join me.

Regards, SSC

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
GJ Dave! I'm there. :)

Added to calender.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
FJDave -pm sent

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
i might be interested in this, will this be a one or two day trip?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
so, interested in this trip. unfortunately, i'm going to have the "joy" in accompanying my wife to a co-worker's daughter's birthday party. she's going to owe me big time...much worse than making me sit through The Notebook.

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
so, interested in this trip. unfortunately, i'm going to have the "joy" in accompanying my wife to a co-worker's daughter's birthday party. she's going to owe me big time...much worse than making me sit through The Notebook.
You're a good man. I wouldn't even go to my best friend's house as she hosted a baby shower a couple of weeks ago. I hate that stuff! :)

M

·
Banned
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LBCAFJ - you're in!

Oscar - got your PM, and I have an idea I think you'll like.

A few of you folks are asking about meeting times and location. I am not sure where the place is as I've never been there. So, I have some research to do, taking into account where everyone is coming from, the drive time to AB, and the picture taking time.

This will be a SLOW trip thru the desert. Everyone hear that? S-L-O-W. No passing, no antics, no stoopid crap. There are some law enforcement types that will be there (your run organizer for one), and stupid, childish crap will not be tolerated. This is a family event, designed for a few FJ Cruiser types to get together, take some pictures of a natural phenomenon, and enjoy each other's company. What makes this special is the comeraderie we share, and the places we can go with the FJs that not many other people can go. That makes for a truly awesome day. Besides, it's my birthday....don't screw it up for me!! :D :D :D

P.S. - anyone wanna help with the detail planning? ;)

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Meet up in Orange county for the trip down?

Stay long enough to capture the flowers with the sun setting?

I don't mind the slow stuff at all. I don't want to be rushed. I would prefer stops at areas of interest and/or have preset meeting locations so if someone wants to stop for a quick pic then can catch up again. Maps with meeting locations would be helpful. They'll probably be some hiking involved (don't want FJs in the background in every picture :D) so we'll need time to move around and find the scene we like. So maybe we can stop at a location of interest for 15 min and get going again instead of some people stop and some people stay in the car. Just throwing ideas out there.

LBCAFJ - you're in!

Oscar - got your PM, and I have an idea I think you'll like.

A few of you folks are asking about meeting times and location. I am not sure where the place is as I've never been there. So, I have some research to do, taking into account where everyone is coming from, the drive time to AB, and the picture taking time.

This will be a SLOW trip thru the desert. Everyone hear that? S-L-O-W. No passing, no antics, no stoopid crap. There are some law enforcement types that will be there (your run organizer for one), and stupid, childish crap will not be tolerated. This is a family event, designed for a few FJ Cruiser types to get together, take some pictures of a natural phenomenon, and enjoy each other's company. What makes this special is the comeraderie we share, and the places we can go with the FJs that not many other people can go. That makes for a truly awesome day. Besides, it's my birthday....don't screw it up for me!! :D :D :D

P.S. - anyone wanna help with the detail planning? ;)

·
Banned
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I LOVE the idea of waiting for the sunset Tony!!

http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=638

There is a map included for the best blooming locations in the park. And I'm sure a Ranger station has a better detailed map of the park we can use for meet locations should we get separated.

So, what's the best way to get down there? 5 Fwy to the 8 Fwy? If so, there are several meet locations we can designate. This is just a guess, stemming from the map on the Calif Parks site.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
you know what, i decided im down, an oc caravan sounds like a good idea to meet up and make the trip together and back too! count me and a passenger in, sounds like a great day, nature's been beckoning to me these days as i look out my work window at the concrete jungle called la

1 - 20 of 166 Posts