Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed, but I can't find it so I'm bringing it up again. I'm posting pics of marine fuel tanks and would like to know if anyone is using them and if not then why?

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right on, what size? how do you fill it? and what do you think about finding some sort of wrapping matrial (white) to wrap it tight and permanent so the direct sun won't affect it as much?

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I have the low profile 12 gallon. The second from the left in your thumbnail. I fill it right on the roof. Right after I fill my main tank so everything is still good and grounded. I use my co2 tank to pressurize it to transfer. I just put a ball valve on it. I would think a wrap would be cumbersome, and might not stick. The plastic will breath. That's why you can't get stickers or paint to last too long on a plastic motorcycle tank. They do swell a little in the sun, I just crack the breather to keep it at bay. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Any one thought of a simple fuel line running on the inside of the car after it enters in the roof area and then dripping down hill with gravity into you main tank, except activated with a switch from the drivers seat. When you low fuel light comes on you could just hit the switch and fill it up again from the roof. Just my idea that I'm gonna try

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Any one thought of a simple fuel line running on the inside of the car after it enters in the roof area and then dripping down hill with gravity into you main tank, except activated with a switch from the drivers seat. When you low fuel light comes on you could just hit the switch and fill it up again from the roof. Just my idea that I'm gonna try
A fuel line inside the car may be a cleaner install but doesn't sound too safe. Also, if I understand your idea, you want a switch that controls a valve that allows the fuel to flow by gravity into the tank? I think that's probably a little unsafe too. If the valve gets stuck open and you can't shut off the fuel flow it could be messy and dangerous. I think this is why aftermarket tanks always have electric transfer pumps even if they could gravity feed.

The CO2 pressurized feed is a neat idea. Once you get the flow going, I'd imagine it just siphons from there? That seems much safer than pure gravity feed since you can pull the hose out and stop the flow.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
A fuel line inside the car may be a cleaner install but doesn't sound too safe. Also, if I understand your idea, you want a switch that controls a valve that allows the fuel to flow by gravity into the tank? I think that's probably a little unsafe too. If the valve gets stuck open and you can't shut off the fuel flow it could be messy and dangerous. I think this is why aftermarket tanks always have electric transfer pumps even if they could gravity feed.

The CO2 pressurized feed is a neat idea. Once you get the flow going, I'd imagine it just siphons from there? That seems much safer than pure gravity feed since you can pull the hose out and stop the flow.
It acts exactly like a siphon. I just turn the ball valve off to stop the flow.

How is everything still grounded?
I am the ground I remain in contact with the vehicle and the pump nozzle at all times. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
SO are we talking about putting an aux. fuel tank on the roof? how are you going to plumb this into the existing gas tank? Also, that seems like alot of top heavy weight.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I wouldn't call it an aux. fuel tank.It's just a low profile easy, inexpensive way to carry extra fuel. I haven't noticed a top heavy feeling when I have used it. I wouldn't suggest connecting this directly to your fuel system and try to use it as an aux. tank. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I wouldn't call it an aux. fuel tank.It's just a low profile easy, inexpensive way to carry extra fuel. I haven't noticed a top heavy feeling when I have used it. I wouldn't suggest connecting this directly to your fuel system and try to use it as an aux. tank. :cheers:
My thoughts exactly. But a few posts up people are talking running fuel lines inside the truck with shut off vales and such... I thought they were attempting to use them as aux. gas tanks.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
A twelve gallon is really not much more weight than two 20 liter jerry cans.

This is another great and easy place to use a Super Siphon.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Go for it :)

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Drilling holes through the roof and floor (which will probably leak water and damage the interior) seems like a lot of trouble for such a small amount of convenience . . . worse yet if the gas line leaks in the interior. Just my $.02. :) . . . but I'd be happy to read about it when you get it done.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Here's a one I found (stackable 6 gallon) at our local Fisherman's Marine and Outdoor supply. Any thoughts for "extra" roof top carried fuel tank?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
So how does one fill these at the gas station? climb onto the roof is a no-no, most people can't reach esp. with a lift, and taking it down to fill is one thing but getting it back up is a pain. What would be the easiest method? (sorry OPer didn't mean to hijack this thread but thought this question was a valid extension on the OP)

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
So how does one fill these at the gas station? climb onto the roof is a no-no, most people can't reach esp. with a lift, and taking it down to fill is one thing but getting it back up is a pain. What would be the easiest method? (sorry OPer didn't mean to hijack this thread but thought this question was a valid extension on the OP)
Just like any other cans, by removing them and filling them on the ground. That's why I would be considering 2 smaller tanks, rather than one larger (heavier).

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
I have the low profile 12 gallon. The second from the left in your thumbnail. I fill it right on the roof. Right after I fill my main tank so everything is still good and grounded. I use my co2 tank to pressurize it to transfer. I just put a ball valve on it. I would think a wrap would be cumbersome, and might not stick. The plastic will breath. That's why you can't get stickers or paint to last too long on a plastic motorcycle tank. They do swell a little in the sun, I just crack the breather to keep it at bay. :cheers:
For cnckart: Interesting thread with good ideas. Regarding paint on plastic tanks, etc. I have painted several motocross bike tanks & fenders using an automotive flex agent additive in the paint. This is used on bumper & auto bodytrim panels that bend and flex. When properly cleaned & prep'd, I have had very good results with this. Might be an option for anyone wanting to paint their rooftop fuel tank. You could use any color paint you want to match or contrast your vehicle. An opaque coating might also help protect the fuel from possible UV breakdown. Just a thought. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I'd really like to paint the obnoxious red color something more subtle like black but it looks like that may be impossible unless i use the flex agent additive. I have yet to find a good valve switch as of today but I'm going to talk to my local shop.

As it stands right now I got a simple siphon piece that will hook up to my 1/4" hose and I will physically have to shut the car off and get out, start the siphon and let the 12G drain into my OEM fuel tank. I will be leaving it on the roof to refill the tank. There is no way I have any desire to undue straps, lower an empty tank to the ground, fill it and then break my back getting up there and tying it down again. I don't enjoy gas stations enough to spend that much time there. I will be climbing my ladder and filling it while it is still on the roof.

I'd love some suggestions on how to make the siphon process more automatic though....

·
Registered
256 Posts
I also use the 12gal. And fill it right on the roof. I have a jiggler siphon to transfer the fuel from up top down into the tank. works great. getting out of the car and transferring fuel isnt that big of a deal and only takes 2-3 mins.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts