Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wyatt (awsumdc) of Rock Solid Toys in SoCal installed a Marlin built Lefty in my 07 FJC. The transfer case has the Marlin’s 4.70:1-XD Xtreme Duty Gear Set along with their MASSIVE Heavy Duty 30-spline Chromoly Output Shaft. I went with Marlins uniquely sealed Twin Stick shifter to allow 2 wheel low. The install was done with pride of craftsmanship and the finished job looks and drives great. I need to finish my part of the job my installing a switch in cab for low to allow use of rear locker and A-trac. If I install a switch to engage the ADD first can I then shift the TC to 4 wheel while moving? Would it be the same as locking the hubs on an earlier truck?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Congrats on the lower gearing, Wyatt is a very knowledgeable guy. Sound like you made some good choices about the internals of the case.

Yes the ADD switch would essentially be like locking your hubs. I have a manual and lefty so I am looking for a way to "unlock" the front drivetrain.

Depending on if you have one or two switches on your reduction housing, you may not need to install the internal switch for the computer to think you are in low. The first reduction housing I had, had two switches, so the one on the 4-2 shift rail was wired to my old 4 wheel drive switch harness, and the low rail switch was wired to my low switch harness. The case had a crack in it and the replacement only had one switch. So then my low switch was brought inside the cab on wired to a manual rocker style switch. The only reason for this switch is to tell the computer that I am in 4 low. Of course I can switch it anytime and use my e-locker and a-trac anytime.

How many times can I say "switch" in one post?

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
FJinCO pretty much nailed it. I've got the switches installed, but don't really shift on the fly. It doesn't take much effort to stop when offroad and shift when the vehicle is stationary.

Also, you might want to consider upgrading your gears to the Marlin Competition Series as thats a chormoly gear which is much stronger and has better wear characteristics. A few of us have had the XD gear fail/strip out on the trail - not fun to replace. Imo the competition series is better suited for the HP and weight of the FJ. Did you get only a rear 30spline chromoly output or both front and rear outputs 30 spline?

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Also, just wanted to confirm you pluged the whole in the Marlin plate which goes to the bearings when you installed it? Mine came exposed which would have tossed oil into the transmission tailhousing and would show up as a leak - However, if you sealed between the transmission and TC you won't know if your leaking or not.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, just wanted to confirm you pluged the whole in the Marlin plate which goes to the bearings when you installed it? Mine came exposed which would have tossed oil into the transmission tailhousing and would show up as a leak - However, if you sealed between the transmission and TC you won't know if your leaking or not.
The updated sealing system between the transmission and the transfer case has a seal extension so that the entire coupler is contained within the tail housing of the transmission. An EcoSeal Transmission Output Seal is then fitted into the seal extension and seated tightly around the transfer case input shaft giving a better seal. If it leaked the fliud would leak into the transfer case with this new system. Leaving the hole in the plate allows for extra gear oil for the transfercase.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You don't want to cover that hole in the front of the lefty on the front adapter plate. marlin actually put that there so that you could have extra fluid. It's there on purpose.

·
Registered
204 Posts
FJinCO pretty much nailed it. I've got the switches installed, but don't really shift on the fly. It doesn't take much effort to stop when offroad and shift when the vehicle is stationary.

Also, you might want to consider upgrading your gears to the Marlin Competition Series as thats a chormoly gear which is much stronger and has better wear characteristics. A few of us have had the XD gear fail/strip out on the trail - not fun to replace. Imo the competition series is better suited for the HP and weight of the FJ. Did you get only a rear 30spline chromoly output or both front and rear outputs 30 spline?
Marlins new XD Gears are stronger than they were before and Randy got the newer set. I have the xd gears in my crawler box and have had them now for some time. They are the prototype of the newer xd gears. My truck is 6008 lbs running 40" tires and some very extreme terrain and I have not had any gear failure of the crawler box. Randy should be fine.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Wyatt (awsumdc) of Rock Solid Toys in SoCal installed a Marlin built Lefty in my 07 FJC. The transfer case has the Marlin’s 4.70:1-XD Xtreme Duty Gear Set along with their MASSIVE Heavy Duty 30-spline Chromoly Output Shaft. I went with Marlins uniquely sealed Twin Stick shifter to allow 2 wheel low. The install was done with pride of craftsmanship and the finished job looks and drives great. I need to finish my part of the job my installing a switch in cab for low to allow use of rear locker and A-trac. If I install a switch to engage the ADD first can I then shift the TC to 4 wheel while moving? Would it be the same as locking the hubs on an earlier truck?
Hey Randy, Thanks for the compliments. Hope your wife wasn't too upset cause you got home so late.:(

Yes. When you switch the add on it is like locking the hubs on a manual hub. You'll then have the ability for shift on the fly. Call me if you have any questions at all.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
In my experience it is extremely difficult to seal the mating surface from the auto transmission tail housing to the Lefty adapter plate. It's a large surface area with a heavy lever (Lefty) pulling on it all the time. The eight mounting bolts do not hold the mating surface perfectly flat. If you guys can make it work, more power to you. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Do you guys have pictures of this new seal extension you are refering to? Perhaps I'm missing something but that hole communicates directly with the tail housing which would cause oil to leak into the tail housing. The seal I've got from Marlin (as of a month ago) only seals around the TC input to transmission output - not around the hole near the bearings.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Marlins new XD Gears are stronger than they were before and Randy got the newer set. I have the xd gears in my crawler box and have had them now for some time. They are the prototype of the newer xd gears. My truck is 6008 lbs running 40" tires and some very extreme terrain and I have not had any gear failure of the crawler box. Randy should be fine.
Wyatt - when were the changes made in the XD series gears or when did the redesigned gears start appearing in cases? I ask because one guy who bought his case a month or two ago had his xd gears fail. Mine were a less than a year old, so I was wondering when the change was actually made.

Do you have any details on the difference in the two versions of the XD series gears?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you guys have pictures of this new seal extension you are refering to? Perhaps I'm missing something but that hole communicates directly with the tail housing which would cause oil to leak into the tail housing. The seal I've got from Marlin (as of a month ago) only seals around the TC input to transmission output - not around the hole near the bearings.
FJNewb you are correct Marlin is using the transmission tail housing to increase the volume of the lefty oil sump. I believe the area around the input shaft and above it were also open to the tail housing.

·
Registered
204 Posts
In my experience it is extremely difficult to seal the mating surface from the auto transmission tail housing to the Lefty adapter plate. It's a large surface area with a heavy lever (Lefty) pulling on it all the time. The eight mounting bolts do not hold the mating surface perfectly flat. If you guys can make it work, more power to you. :cheers:
Have never had a lefty or crawler leak at the mating surface at the tranny. The Marlin plate seals very well there not to mention the stock configuration was designed to seal there. It's actually very simple to keep the case from leaking from any of those areas.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
The Marlin plate seals very well there not to mention the stock configuration was designed to seal there.
I'll have to disagree with you on this one. The stock configuration seals the tranny with the tail shaft housing oil seal around the tranny output shaft, but the tail shaft housing itself to the transfer case is just bolted up without a gasket or sealer in the stock configuration, and on the stock transfer cases I've removed there was always some dirt and water stains inside the hollow tail shaft housing. The only purpose of the tail shaft housing is to align and hold the transfer case, it was never intended to hold fluid.

I only have experience with the Inchworm adapter plate, not the Marlin, so maybe it is machined better or something. I have tried everything in the book to seal the Inchworm plate including installing helicoils in it to get some decent torque on the mounting bolts, but if there were any leaks from either the tranny or the Lefty they would eventually drip out from the joint between the tail shaft housing and the adapter plate. All these issues were finally resolved when Inchworm came out with their updated tail shaft oil seal tube, which stopped all previous leaks and thus negated the necessity of trying to seal the tail shaft housing to adapter plate surface.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I'll have to disagree with you on this one. The stock configuration seals the tranny with the tail shaft housing oil seal around the tranny output shaft, but the tail shaft housing itself to the transfer case is just bolted up without a gasket or sealer in the stock configuration, and on the stock transfer cases I've removed there was always some dirt and water stains inside the hollow tail shaft housing. The only purpose of the tail shaft housing is to align and hold the transfer case, it was never intended to hold fluid.

I only have experience with the Inchworm adapter plate, not the Marlin, so maybe it is machined better or something. I have tried everything in the book to seal the Inchworm plate including installing helicoils in it to get some decent torque on the mounting bolts, but if there were any leaks from either the tranny or the Lefty they would eventually drip out from the joint between the tail shaft housing and the adapter plate. All these issues were finally resolved when Inchworm came out with their updated tail shaft oil seal tube, which stopped all previous leaks and thus negated the necessity of trying to seal the tail shaft housing to adapter plate surface.
agreed

I would not want to use my tail housing a a spill over for oil. To follow up that point once the oil is in there its does not circulate b/c you would not have a pick up to circulate the oil.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
agreed

I would not want to use my tail housing a a spill over for oil. To follow up that point once the oil is in there its does not circulate b/c you would not have a pick up to circulate the oil.
x2 - thats why I was quite confused when the guys at Marlin were telling me not to plug the hole and that it was designed that way. As you pointed out the inchworm plate has an expansion plug at that location. Marlin's plate remove so much material at that point there isn't enough surface area to set an expansion plug.

All I could forsee it doing is allowing gear oil to end up in the tailhousing with no return mechanism, I don't see how it could aid in cooling the case. Since the tailhousing to interface plate isn't a sealing point, I'm concerned about using Marlins plate and developing a leak along the plate/tailhousing. The only solution I could see is applying sealent around the tailhousing, but this would prevent you from identifying any failures of the in the tail shaft oil seal.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Since the tailhousing to interface plate isn't a sealing point, I'm concerned about using Marlins plate and developing a leak along the plate/tailhousing. The only solution I could see is applying sealent around the tailhousing, but this would prevent you from identifying any failures of the in the tail shaft oil seal.
I tried that on mine initially (applying sealant around the tail housing) but it didn't work, could not maintain a seal with the Inchworm adapter plate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts