Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Met up with Trail Teams Sat May 10, 9am running of the Bull. There were only 4 of us.

Tom, JonB and myself had John Bull to ourself. I think Martyr's did the best considering we where all space far between and had to choose our own lines. I hardly ever saw Martyr's in my rear window. JonB lead the group and TomH followed the rear.

The start

Yes Tom that's a rock

Wonder what JonB is thinking

Jonb & Jr.

Near the end.

It took us about 2 hrs, we stopped and goofed around and at one point one of the Trail Teams volenteer spotter said that it was his best day he has ever had. It was good to go with a small group. Isn't it allways?

Opps. Next time I'll post bigger Pictures

Maybe the full size pics are here http://http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm260/dustpark_bucket/John%20Bull/

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
It looks as if I missed a good one. I had all the best of intentions to do John Bull, but life intervened as sometimes happens.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks as if I missed a good one. I had all the best of intentions to do John Bull, but life intervened as sometimes happens.
Yes you did. It's a great trail. You will get plenty of dings and scrapes and if not careful, body damage.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Brent, man those are some pics! How did the rigs fare? Any repairs needed?

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Wow, glad I didn't sign up for that one.

Great shots - :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You think so?
That was the first time I ran it. I think you can do it. There are harder lines to take and eaiser lines on the trail. You can't worry about undercarrage dings and scrapes because that's for sure will happen.

·
Registered
923 Posts
You think so?
All you need for Bull is sliders, skids, a bit of lift, some good tires, and a good spoter - and be willing to use your sliders, skids, lift, tires, and spoter.. :D

Our group we had somebody that really hadn't done this type of trail before, but by the end he had learned a lot and did pretty good.. the only carnage we had other than banging sliders and skids was I knocked the darn plastic wing off my rear on one side again...:rolleyes: and due to a bit of spoting error on my part :ack:, Jason got a mark on his passanger door...

It's doable, you just have to have the mind set you are going to use that equipment on your FJ as it was intended.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tankota we had a couple of close calls. Like 1/2 inch to sheet metal.. with Martyr's, He is a better wheeler today.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Thanks Brent, Jon and Tom for taking this noob up John Bull! Also thanks to Jimmy Garcia, a 19 year old Big Bear local I picked-up in the parking lot 15 minutes before departure. His enthusiasm, local knowledge and spotting skills got me through with very minimal damage: scraped the muffler (no holes) and dinged the end of the tailpipe. The rock rails are also very scraped on the bottom, but that's what they are for... Also, thanks Brent for not mentioning that I came within a millimeter of contributing some damage/paint to that tree toward the end of the run (was it called terry's tree?).

martyr

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Marty! John Bull was super fun. I like trails like that and have learned a ton in a year and a half. Knock on wood everything is solid on the FJ. We have a cool person in JonB that will hang out with us enthusiastic noobs. Tom got your phone# from Jimmy and we'll keep in contact.

I can see Terry at that tree.....taking it real wide and slow:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
It's great seeing these shots. Thanks for sharing! I hope to graduate to that level someday with the right protection and more experience.

Here's a shot from the Saturday morning departure:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts