Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a growing trend that a lot of owners of SUVs (included my beloved FJ) are bailing ont heir 4x4s due to the high cost of fuel.

Introsepctive statement: I wonder how far down the road toward $5/gal. I'll get before I, too - sadly - would have to jump the FJ ship?

Also, on that note, do you think it'd be better to sell the FJ now than try to wait it out (when it might be even harder to sell)? What do you think?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
keep it, its really not worth the time and money to trade it in. Also if people really love the FJ as much as they say then no amount of money should sway them from their true love :) Also if your willing to spend hundreds on mods whats 60 bucks in gas? small price to pay to enjoy a great truck

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
No way I am getting rid of the CG! I need him more than a car payment!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
They can have my FJ when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.........:cowfrown:

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
SUV sales are pretty much at a stand still. Pre-owned FJ's prices are going down steadily. You'll probably take a beating. Most of the FJ's for sale are almost at their original sticker price though. There's no way in hell I'd pay $24K for an FJ that has 30K miles on it. I'd probably buy a second one if they get around $18K though. Keep it stock for longer travels.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Like some of the guys were doing instead of modding a little more, buy a cheap daily driver? Just another option, then no tough sale of the fj emotionally and trying to sell an suv

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I will never jump ship with mine. I love mine and it is an awesome vehicle. I just do. I could never part with it. I would buy me another small car to run around if i had to. But Woodstaulk has a home forever. Sorry I disagree...Good luck...

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you decide to sell it, you're going to get beat up over the resale.
The value of suvs have dropped as demand have plummeted over high
gas prices.
In the May auto sales results, the F150 lost its top spot in vehicles sales. The
Toyota Camry, corolla, Honda civic and accord had higher sales for May. Can you
believe it? The F150 has held it since 1991!
I bought my FJ on May 3rd and I have no regrets. I bought it with eyes wide open-in regards to $4/gallon. When gas reaches $8, then...it will be only out on weekends. BTW, I have a Corolla as my daily runner with a Yamaha R1 thrown in the mix.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow. i can't say I'm very surprised that most posts have had the "No way I'd ever sell my FJ" reaction. It is a great vehicle!

But, being realistic (coming down from my FJ-high and think with my pocketbook), I think spending northwards of $350/mo on gas for one car is A LOT OF MOOLAH (that's a freakin' car payment!)! Maybe you guys can afford to keep yours, but it's getting to the point where I need to make a decision about whether to keep mine or trade it for a cheaper-to-run automobile.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If someone decides to sell It might be a good time to pick up another FJC. My daughter wants one and keeps hoping I can help her find one at a good price. Maybe here is her chance soon.
If others are bailing out it could be a great opportunity for some great deals.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I would keep my new TTSE for a number of reasons:
1) if gas prices continue to increase & mass turmoil and war turns the roads & cities into post apocolyptic rubble... I'll have my FJ to go up and over all the carnage across the country side & cities

2) if global warming continues, oceans begin to rise, unpredictable weather patterns, a new ice age... I'll have my FJ to get me through all the flooding and carnage across the country side and cities

3) if we finally get our BIG earthquake here in SoCal, roadways crumble, and buildings fall, I'll have my FJ to get me through the carnage

4) I just have an overactive imagination... but the FJ is a great vehicle to escape the daily carnage of the city & find some unpaved backroad or trail to get away from it all... even if just for a few hours!!!

yeah... I am really feeling the gas prices... just got my TTSE & my other car is an E46 with a 3.46 rear differential which makes it fun to drive on twisty roads and on the track... but only getting 20-21mpg on my daily commute whereas my TTSE only gets 17mpg.

I'll see how the BMW does if I take it really easy on the accelerator... just sux cause that engine loves to rev!!!

If it does get worse & shows no sign of getting better... maybe I'll pick up an old diesel benz and start filling it up at the local fast food joints!!! or maybe a motorcycle or scooter...

If I lived less than 10 miles from work... I would also cycle on my singlespeed road bike...

But I am not getting rid of the FJ or the BMW:thinkerg:

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
I just saw a news report on MSNBC about a guy that wanted to trade in his Explorer. He still owes $8500 on it and the dealer only offered him $3000. It was in pretty good shape from what my 42" LCD HD screen could show me.

I would not trade in my FJ. Gas could be $10/gallon. I don't care. I just won't drive as much. HOWEVER...the miles I do drive, I will love and enjoy every single last one of them!!!

(One more note: it said that the airline industry is hit even harder with the rise in jet fuel prices. In the last year, jet fuel has doubled. Do you think Congress is going to let all the airlines go belly up? Plus GM announced they are closing 4 plants today. And for the first time in many a year, a car (Honda Accord) outpaced a pickup truck as the highest selling vehicle of the month. How long will this go on? How long CAN it go on?)

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
No way, Never letting it out of my hands, if anything I'll buy a hybrid for city driving and leave the FJ for trails.:rocker:

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Will never do without an SUV and my FJ is the best choice. But I am considering another smaller vehicle for everyday driving around and shuttling. Gas pricing are going nowhere but up. Predictions of near-term prices are depressing. So having another car may be less expensive than pumping $8 per gallon gas into the FJ. Scion XB looks good to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Two easy options. SmartCar or Vespa.

Both you could park in the garage with your FJ
Both find parking very easily
Both can fit into any parking garage
Both are efficient on gas

Used Vespas are dirt cheap (although, demand is rising for these little guys which is driving up prices)

I won't sell my FJ. I will probably keep forever....Mod it up to the point I have to trailer it to the trail. That will be the day.

In the meantime, get a locking gas cap so they can't siphon out your fuel

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Im trying to talk to a local honda dealership about getting a Honda Ruckus. Stoopid place won't call me back though so that i can talk to a saleman.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I see the pendulum swinging the other way these days, as I told my college buddy last night. As China's economy grows, the millions who were commuting by bicycle a decade ago are now driving cars. Whereas here in this country, we're looking for alternative transportation to work— mass transit, bicycles, even more car pooling, etc.

I drive 150 roundtrip miles to work each week. I'm looking to cut that down to 60 miles, just by doing the other 90 on my bicycle. I think sunny or crappy weather tomorrow, I'm pedaling my ass to work. That's three days biking in to work, and two in the FJ. Be interesting to see the difference to my budget at the end of the summer, cost of driving the FJ vs. cost of bike commuting.

No matter what, I'm keeping both.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
I will never SELL the RAPTOR for ANY Price, I don't care if gas is $10 a gal. I am looking for another vehicle right now that is a little more fuel friendly for work, but I'll never get rid of the rig...;)

1 - 20 of 102 Posts