Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Re: Master Cylinder $1500 for just the part from toyota dealer?!?!?!?

Toyota of Cool Springs has them for $948.41 They are a forum vendor.
47025-35260. A-Trac,TC,Auto trans. Thats for a 2014.

·
Registered
190 Posts

It's worth a shot to try local salvage yards, or try online through car-parts.com, and similar web sights. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts

$1556.91 is MSRP i could get it in Phoenix for $1191.43 that is OEM Toyota. this would be for a 2008.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

It's worth a shot to try local salvage yards, or try online through car-parts.com, and similar web sights. Good luck.
Thanks, I found one for 500 on ebay, but with 150k on it ;/

·
Registered
678 Posts

Is there a rebuild kit for the master cylinder that Toyota sells. That does seem high at 1500
I think I remember seeing brake booster, and master cylinder repair kits offered by Toyota but I may be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up buying one on ebay for $500 and getting it installed for $300. Although it costed a lot of money. Id say its worth it now to have working brakes. After removing it and inspecting the old part, it looks like it could be rebuilt, if you can find the right seals.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
It looks as though Toyota doesn't sell a prepared MC rebuild kit anymore.
In my experience, Toyota master cylinders, and power steering pumps and brake calipers are just about the easiest parts to rebuild that there ever could be, and the kits are usually pretty cheap.

To rebuild an FJ '06~'14 MC, assuming the booster/accumulator (located under the MC), and the Solenoid, MC (the big black box on the LH side of the MC) are fine, you'd need to order these wear parts:

Piston 47026-60090 (if it is like past years, it includes the internal seals, spring and so on)
Snap Ring 90520-32012 (to hold the seal to the mc)
Plug 47027-60090 (seal at the end of the piston)
Grommet 47255-16010 (reservoir x mc), qty = 2
Grommet 21417-35010 (reservoir x mc), qty = 1
Boot 90020-70001 (seals the cylinder hole)
Cap, mc 47230-47090

That all ought to run you $150~250, depending on the deal you can find from wherever you shop from.
Note that the new piston assy is 2/3 of that cost, and that's the main part to replace during a rebuild.

The pedal push rod, fasteners and so on should be reusable.

That would take care of the hydraulic parts in the master cylinder. Note, though, that if there is anything wrong with what is inside of the black box on the LH side of the MC, none of its internal components are serviceable. One of them is $1000 (there's a ton of part numbers for it, depending on year and vehicle spec.

The third part of the MC system is the Pump Booster / Accumulator, and that's another $650~750. It, like the MC, is same for all years, all specs.

Norm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts