Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to get around to this for ages, so I finally took the time this morning to get it all worked up.....

I bought it on March 27, 2006.....

The very first thing that I did was changed the tires to BF Goodrich All-Terrain tires in the stock size...

My mods stayed dormant until November 2006 when I decided to add the Rough Country 3" Lift which you can also see in the picture above...

Then I had pretty much decided which direction I was wanting to go w/ the mods...

I added the ARB Front Bumper and a Warn M8000 Winch plus a full set of BudBuilt skid plates...

After a few months due to the weight of the Front Bumper my suspension started sagging a lot - so I invested in the Fox Suspension System in the front and rear. I also invested in the All-Pro Rear Lower Links and Lower Link Skids. When it was all said and done this really improved the stance of the FJ.

A couple of months ago I got a call from Ben @ Rough Country asking if I'd be interested in doing a magazine install for 4x4 Builder on their 6" Lift. I thought about it for a few days and then gave him a call and told him I was definitely interested. We set the install date for October 1 & 2...and it turned out great.

Here is the finished product. They adapted their production kit to work with the Fox Shox in the front and rear and it made for an awesome combination. I have the adjustable ride of the Foxes and then the additional ground clearance - needless to say I'm happy with how it turned out.

They had to do some major modifications to their kit including chopping down the front spacer and making some custom bumpstops to keep me from overextending a CV...

I also picked up a set of 5 35x12.50x17 Dick Cepek Mud Country tires mounted on 17x9 Dick Cepek DC-1 Black Rims.

Here's my full mod list as best I can remember :lol:

• Rough Country 6" Custom Lift
  • Fox Shox Front Coilovers w/ Reservoirs
  • Fox Shox Rear Shocks w/ Reservoirs
  • All-Pro Pro Rear Lower Links
  • All-Pro Rear Link Skids
  • ARB Front Winch Bumper
  • IPF Fog Light Kit for ARB Bumper
  • Warn M8000 Winch
  • BudBuilt Transmission Skid
  • BudBuilt Crossmember
  • BudBuilt Gas Tank Skid
  • BudBuilt ARB Rock Guard Skid
  • All-Pro Sliders
  • Dick Cepek 35x12.50x17 Mud Country Tires
  • Dick Cepek DC-1 Black Rims
  • Trail-Gear 1.25" Wheel Spacers
  • Wet Okole Seat Covers
  • A-TRAC - Locker Hack
  • ARB Full Roof Rack w/ Mesh Flooring
  • FourTrex Hi-Lift Mount
  • 48" Hi-Lift Jack
  • FourTrex Shovel & Axe Mount
  • Shovel
  • Axe
  • Chopped Body Mounts
  • Bentup Rear Bumper
  • Bandi Mount
  • Cobra 75WXST CB
  • Motorola S9950 Cellular Hands Free Kit
  • SignalReach Cellular Booster
  • TRD Cold Air Intake
  • PIAA Replacement Headlight Bulbs
  • PIAA Replacement Dome Light Bulbs
  • PIAA Replacement Back-Up Light Bulbs
  • ScanGauge II
  • PowerTank 10lb CO2 Tank

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow Matt, that rig has certainly changed since last I saw it. Love the stance on that Fusion! I can't wait to see it in GWNF. Do you have much of a shimmy in the steering with those big meats?
It's honestly not too bad.....it smooths out around 55-60....

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Dam Matt it looks good ! I also see you have some Dick Cepeks on there :grinbiginvert: Can't wait for Fall Colors so i can check out yours and Tennsquire rigs.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Love it, great looking ride.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice rig, but why does it look like everything is rusted or in the process of rusting?
That's actually mud that I haven't worked hard enough to get off....

The entire fender undercoating is bathed in it....

As far as rust....the only place there's any rust is where the tires rubbed the UCAs....other then that it's just mud/dirt....

·
Sockless Superstar
11,807 Posts
...and from here on out you will be known as "Matt with the wicked 6" lift" :lol:

It's a beautiful piece of machinery, Matt. Congratulations on a setup where all of the components combine to make one bad ass rig :)

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...and from here on out you will be known as "Matt with the wicked 6" lift" :lol:

It's a beautiful piece of machinery, Matt. Congratulations on a setup where all of the components combine to make one bad ass rig :)
:rofl: I couldn't resist sending that to you :p

·
Registered
469 Posts
Matt your FJ looks awesome. Congrats on the great build-up.

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
100% Bad A$$ for sure. I was fortunate enough to watch most of the fab work get done. Leaves me with a serious case of FJ envy..........

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dam Matt it looks good ! I also see you have some Dick Cepeks on there :grinbiginvert: Can't wait for Fall Colors so i can check out yours and Tennsquire rigs.
Thanks! You can definitely check it out at GWNF....me and TNSquire are rolling up together so you can check them both out side by side....

Love it, great looking ride.
Matt your FJ looks awesome. Congrats on the great build-up.
Thanks!

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts
Holy Moly, Matt!! That is one sharp looking (and functional) FJ!! :clap: :clap:

(You got me drooling all over the computer screen.)

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great decision on letting them do an article on your FJ while installing a awesome lift.

Cya
Thanks - I'm anxious to see how the final article with it looks...

Holy Moly, Matt!! That is one sharp looking (and functional) FJ!! :clap: :clap:

(You got me drooling all over the computer screen.)
Thanks bud....I'm loving how it turned out!

Yup, Matt has one of the top 3 "baddest" FJ's on the board. Very sweet and can't wait to see it in person. Well done Matt...
Thanks man....I dunno about top 3 "baddest" though...there's some other awesome looking rigs out there too....

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
What magazine will this be in ?

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What magazine will this be in ?
4X4 Builder....

I'm not exacly sure when the issue will come out though...

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Matt the rig looks awesome buddy...I love the new wheels and tires :)

I noticed that your still running stock UCA's...do you plan on changing them out it the future?

Nice build buddy :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts