Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
10,000 miles and I still don't have the hang of the Max A/C function. Every time I want to vent cooler outside air I turn the dial just a bit too far and suddenly the air conditioning and recirculation kick on and I'm freezing and pressing buttons.

As someone said before: if want to turn on the A/C, I'll press the button, thank you.

So I ripped off the knob and looked at the back, and determined that if I built up a nub of hot melt glue on the stop, the knob would not turn to the point where the Max A/C function kicked in. It's a no brainer but nobody has mentioned this here before (at least in my search).

Took me two tries to get just the right thickness, but it works like a champ. If I want Max A/C I turn the knob to where it now stops, then press the recirc and A/C; just like it was on my Tacoma. If all I want is cooler air, I flick the knob without concern that it will kick in A/C.

Now, someone is going to complain that the knob is not turning to its extreme so I'm not getting optimal cooling even after pressing both buttons. I doubt that is so; and it is plenty cold regardless. The hot melt glue may not hold up indefinitely but it is easy to reapply and a more permanent fix could be done with epoxy.

Edit: 14 months later, and fix is holding up great.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It occurs to me that by gluing a short spring or spongy bit of foam there, it may be possible to get enough resistence that the max a/c won't be engaged accidentally, but by turning it against the resistence you could kick in max a/c without having to press the two buttons.

I'll leave that experiment to someone more patient. I'm just glad to have climate control that does only as it is told.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Nice hack! Yeah, it's annoying. I've gotten used to turning the fan off, setting the temp all the way down and then 1 click up, and then turning the fan back on in order to get the "cool-but-not-A/C-cool" temperature setting.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My FJ engages the A/C when I go full cold then disingages it one click up from full cold. Some of the FJ's that I testdrove before purchasing mine engaged more like 5 or 6 clicks up. I think thats a defect the dealer would probably take care of. Good Luck

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Interesting. Are you sure we are talking about the middle knob? Mine worked as the manual says. Perhaps Toyota has made a change for the better. Kaizen, you know.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like to keep my eyes on the road, and ideally have controls work as I expect them to, and by feel. That's ostensibly why these knobs are so big to begin with.

Some engineer thought the Max A/C feature was a good idea, so perhaps some people find it intuitive. Others may not, so thankfully there is a low tech solution.

But thank goodness that engineer didn't design the gas pedal. Press it a wee bit too hard and it would enable cruise control set at 100mph...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Great idea!! I am constantly having to turn off the AC and recirc. I will do this mod right away. Take care.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just did this mod. Thanks to the OP for such a simple fix. Best mod to the FJ I have made so far.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! At the moment I'm not feeling very smart but that's a matter for another thread.

I can't imagine I'd still be sane if I still had all of the factory beeps and chimes and this problem. Somebody else's idea of progress.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts