Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone!

So here is the story I just bought a set of new rims for my fj, but no rubber yet. I get home rip open the box's to see my rims and inside I find a peice of paper with all the rim info on it, load limits, max. tire size ext. It says on the paper the max tire size is 31's I was hoping to get 33's on them, is this going to be a problem?? does it have something to do with the size on the rim sidewalls?? or just a goofy factory warning? cause if these rims aint gonna work for me id rather find out now rather than later.

oh the rims i got are incubus alloys 815.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I just ordered a suspension that will give about a 2.5" lift and was told it would accomodate a max size of 285/70/17. (currently no lift, stock tires on 17")

So, if you want a larger tire, you might have go with a lift.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i plan on lifting it before the new rims and tires go on, I just found it odd that the rim had a maximum tire size. I've never bought rims before so maybe this is normal I dunno

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
17x9 with a max load of 2500lbs per rim, and I plan on mounting 285/70/R17 BFG all terrians on them. the more I read about it i dont think it will be a problem but i want to make sure, cause once I mount the rubber on them the return policy is done.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Depending on backspacing, you can fit 35's. Ive got 315/75R16 on 8" wide wheels with no issues. Youll get plenty of rub (even with a lift for this size) and a BMC is "gotta have" on anything larger than a 285/70R17.

:cheers:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think what he's concerned about is the "liabilty issue" on the paper included with the tires. They recommend only 31" tires to protect the manufacturer. The stock 17" Bridgstones on my FJ are just a hair over 30 inches. Yeah, I know, lots of guys are running huge tires but thats a consious choice on their part. Going to a much taller tire will probably start getting into warranty issues with a dealer if something goes wrong. The owners manual is specific about wheels.

"WHEEL SELECTION
When replacing wheels, care should be
taken to ensure that the wheels are replaced
by ones with the same load capacity,
diameter, rim width, and offset.
Correct replacement wheels are available
at your Toyota dealer.
A wheel of a different size or type may
adversely affect handling, wheel and bearing
life, brake cooling, speedometer/odometer
calibration, stopping ability, headlight
aim, bumper height, vehicle ground clearance,
and tire or snow chain clearance to
the body and chassis."

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I think what he's concerned about is the "liabilty issue" on the paper included with the tires. They recommend only 31" tires to protect the manufacturer. The stock 17" Bridgstones on my FJ are just a hair over 30 inches. Yeah, I know, lots of guys are running huge tires but thats a consious choice on their part. Going to a much taller tire will probably start getting into warranty issues with a dealer if something goes wrong. The owners manual is specific about wheels.

"WHEEL SELECTION
When replacing wheels, care should be
taken to ensure that the wheels are replaced
by ones with the same load capacity,
diameter, rim width, and offset.
Correct replacement wheels are available
at your Toyota dealer.
A wheel of a different size or type may
adversely affect handling, wheel and bearing
life, brake cooling, speedometer/odometer
calibration, stopping ability, headlight
aim, bumper height, vehicle ground clearance,