Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you want to get more articulation out of the rear suspension on your FJ without spending a lot of money, I think I may have a solution for you. Steve Schaefer of Sonoran Steel Fabrication, who's the Go-To guy for 2nd and 3rd Gen. 4-Runners has come up with a replacement Trac/PanHard Bar for the FJ that should allow full compression/extension of your rear shocks. HERE'S the link for information on the bar. I just had one installed on my FJ and am including pictures of the install. I haven't had it out on the trail as of yet but I have no reason whatsoever to doubt Steve's claims about it's benefits.

This shows the stock PanHard Bar on my vehicle.

The Sonoran Steel Bar next to the stock bar.

Close-up of the rod-ends.

The SS bar adjusted to the proper length (make sure the holes line up exactly).

Another shot of the rod-ends after the adjustment.

Using a vice-grip to open the mount slightly should make installation much easier.

Bar in mount after installation.

Picture of bar with vehicle on ground.

Picture of bar with vehicle on lift.

The bar should be installed with the vehicle sitting on level ground; not on a lift. The link provided above has a technical description of the bar and what you can expect from it. Sonoran has a sterling reputation for quality products and I know Steve personally so I can vouch for the integrity of his products. I certainly can't say that everyone should get one, but, as I mentioned, if you're looking to maximize the travel on your rear end without spending a lot of money, this is certainly one solution to consider.

Jim

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Not to show off my noviceness (i just made that word up) how is the after market bar any different than stock? If they are the same length, and I would assume they have the same degree of articulation on the ends with the travel of the rear axle. So I don't get it. I do get it looks beefier, but that is all I get.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
The OEM bar has static bushings. The Sonoran has bushings that allow twisting during articulation. This is the same difference with OEM versus aftermarket rear links.
X2 I picked up a fair amount of articulation by ditching the stock lower links.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
The articulation of the bushings is a good thing, but to minimize shift of the ass end, the bar should be as level as feasible when the in the nuetral position of up/down travel distance and as long as possible. A bracket or set of brackets attaching to the stock mount locations could do this, reducing the bar inclinaton and rotation angle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts