Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've put on a 3" lift and I was wondering if 285/70/17 (on stock alloy wheels) tires will fit without any rubbing? Some people have said that it rubs on the body mount, and that a possible solution is a body mount chop. What is the body mount and what is a body mount chop?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Not to harp on you or anything, but this question, well, all of your questions that you just asked, have been asked and answered at least a couple hundred times...maybe more. The search function is your friend, but, to answer your question:

285/70/17's may or may not rub. They shouldn't rub at all on the street, and again, they may or may not rub offroad, it just depends on the tire and your FJ in general. My KM2's, which are 285/70/17, on aftermarket wheels, do not rub at all, I have not chopped my body mount.

This brings us to the subject of the body mount. The body mount that the tire would rub on, if it did at all, is located just under the fender flare closest to the door of the FJ. It is attached to the frame, and does what its title says, mounts the body to the frame. For some reason, Toyota decided to have the FJ body mount stick out quite far into the wheel well, but it can be trimmed and capped with no adverse effects.

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
That's my exact setup. It won't rub.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Tires rubbing or not rubbing is a bit of a crap shoot. But here is what many have realized with the 285s. For some reason MT tires are more likely to rub against your body mount. Most of the AT tires in this size have a tendency to not rub....Now don't get me wrong since you will hear arguments against both of those observations.... But.

There is an alternative to cutting the body mount. Find a good alignment shop that will set your castor ahead. You don't hear much about this mod but I have heard a few of the Northeasters that have had it done by a reputable alignment shop in the Bronx..... Just a suggestion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts