1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2012 FJ Cruiser
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jumping right in..
Toyota quoted me $630
(claimed the molding cost $250 alone.)
Safelite quoted me $360 (online. I don’t know if theyre factoring in the molding.)

Now I know dealerships will always be more expensive. But does the FJ molding really make us a special case?
I’ve replaced windshields in other cars in the past and paid around $200 total. Is $360 a good price?

I don’t have insurance that covers a replacement but will be getting it very soon after this research.
Thanks!

· Registered
58 Posts
Hi there,

There’s a lot of threads on here that discuss this issue in detail. Basically the OEM Toyota parts (windshield, molding, and clips) can cost up to $1,200 alone. Labor at a reputable shop can range up to several hundred depending on the area. So, out of pocket, it’s conceivable that you could pay $1,500- $2,000.

A lot of people will say that a good shop can reuse the top molding, just all depends.

I had an OEM glass deductible on my insurance and had to fight them because the cost was so high. It’s not your average $300 total parts/labor windshield.

A lot of people have had good luck with aftermarket glass too. I think the important thing is to find a good shop. The FJ windshield isn’t like most standard auto windshields and really needs someone who knows how to install them.

Good luck

· Registered
2012 FJ Cruiser
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there,

There’s a lot of threads on here that discuss this issue in detail. Basically the OEM Toyota parts (windshield, molding, and clips) can cost up to $1,200 alone. Labor at a reputable shop can range up to several hundred depending on the area. So, out of pocket, it’s conceivable that you could pay $1,500- $2,000.

A lot of people will say that a good shop can reuse the top molding, just all depends.

I had an OEM glass deductible on my insurance and had to fight them because the cost was so high. It’s not your average $300 total parts/labor windshield.

A lot of people have had good luck with aftermarket glass too. I think the important thing is to find a good shop. The FJ windshield isn’t like most standard auto windshields and really needs someone who knows how to install them.

Good luck
Thanks for that. I was kind of getting that this wasn’t going to be a normal job but as a female didn’t want to get brutally robbed.

· fka BLACK HAWK
3,851 Posts
I paid $650 out of pocket to have mine done the correct way. that included keeping the FJ inside a temperature controlled building to get acclimated to the required temperature for sealant curing and replacement of Cowl panel clips and painted upper window trim. There is no way in hell I would Ever let Safelite install a windshield on my FJ..unless absolutely necessary, and in that case I would still take it to a professional to have it redone.

· Registered
2012 FJ Cruiser
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I paid $650 out of pocket to have mine done the correct way. that included keeping the FJ inside a temperature controlled building to get acclimated to the required temperature for sealant curing and replacement of Cowl panel clips and painted upper window trim. There is no way in hell I would Ever let Safelite install a windshield on my FJ..unless absolutely necessary, and in that case I would still take it to a professional to have it redone.
Oh wow! I’ve read a few times Safelite was a good bet

· Registered
2012 FJ Cruiser
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Registered
201 Posts
Jumping right in..
Toyota quoted me $630
Safelife quoted me $360 (online. I don’t know if theyre factoring in the molding.)

Now I know dealerships will always be more expensive. But does the FJ molding really make us a special case?
I’ve replaced windshields in other cars in the past and paid around $200 total. Is $360 a good price?

I don’t have insurance that covers a replacement but will be getting it very soon after this research.
Thanks!
I’ve replaced my windshield three times...Safelite, and under 300 bucks. Geico insurance has an additional option for glass breakage, well worth the small surcharge.

· Registered
2012 FJ Cruiser
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went a glass replacement shop here in Chicago and it only cost me $125-$130! No need to replace the molding. Replacing glass is ALL they do!. Maybe see if you have such a place in your area and try them.
Thanks Michael, thats weird because everyone swears the molding has to be replaced every single time

· Admin
30,995 Posts
No, not everyone. It does not if it is removed properly by a competent shop who knows FJC's and what they are doing. The shop I went to had the cowl panel clips on hand and knew he had to replace them. He even replaced the weather strip along the bottom edge of the molding that was missing and causing the 60 MPH Vibration/HUM.

So when you go shopping for a shop, ask the right questions.

· Registered
2012 FJ Cruiser
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, not everyone. It does not if it is removed properly by a competent shop who knows FJC's and what they are doing. The shop I went to had the cowl panel clips on hand and knew he had to replace them. He even replaced the weather strip along the bottom edge of the molding that was missing and causing the 60 MPH Vibration/HUM.

So when you go shopping for a shop, ask the right questions.
Noted!!!

· Registered
371 Posts
When I had my windshield replaced the first time I took the white moulding off myself to see what the mystery was. I used a serrated blade and sawed through the windshield sealer blobs that were applied to the top of the four mounting clips that were attached to the top of the windshield opening. I’m gonna assume this was done for added insurance to make sure the moulding stayed in place. If done this way, I don’t see why you couldn’t replace the four clips and re-use the moulding. My installer did.

· Registered
2012 FJ Cruiser
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I had my windshield replaced the first time I took the white moulding off myself to see what the mystery was. I used a serrated blade and sawed through the windshield sealer blobs that were applied to the top of the four mounting clips that were attached to the top of the windshield opening. I’m gonna assume this was done for added insurance to make sure the moulding stayed in place. If done this way, I don’t see why you couldn’t replace the four clips and re-use the moulding. My installer did.
Interesting lol thanks

· Registered
2012 FJ Cruiser
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jumping right in..
Toyota quoted me $630
Safelife quoted me $360 (online. I don’t know if theyre factoring in the molding.)

Thanks!

Okay I’ve done my research and tons of it. Now I can’t find anyone in Houston who will do it!! Might settle for safelite :/

· Registered
411 Posts
Okay I’ve done my research and tons of it. Now I can’t find anyone in Houston who will do it!! Might settle for safelite :/
@KastYourself the links Hannibal provided are really informative. And Geoffrion7 is about spot on with the actual cost. The amount of labor and parts that go into an FJ’s windshield replacement is far above average.
It’s not so much that companies like safelite auto glass are bad. It’s just simply, does the actual tech working on your FJ have the experience and required parts to do the job right.
You can get a really good feel for a shops knowledge just by asking them to go over the quote with you. Example, if they tell you you’re just paying for glass and labor, you don’t want them working on your FJ. Same as if they tell you it’s just glass and the upper molding.
Ideally you want a shop that goes over all the required parts in their quote. You should see the upper molding, side clips along with the glass, and if needed the rubber trim at the base of the windshield. As a lot are dry rotted, or aren’t included with premium glass. You want them to be familiar with the vehicle, and telling you what’s needed. Not you explaining it to them.
To give you an example of how difficult FJ windshields really can be to do correctly. Take a look at this video. You’ll notice even as careful as this tech was, he still broke two clips on the upper molding. And while the video is only 20mins long, you can tell it took him several hours to complete the job. It’s a bright afternoon when he starts, early evening when he finished. Ask yourself, do you honestly think anyone would take that much care to do it right, even with aftermarket parts for anything under $500. If you read the comments you’ll actually see tech’s thanking him for making the video because they have never done an FJ windshield replacement... that says a lot.

Here in Houston, I’d personally go to SafeTech Auto Glass. It’s a local glass shop that does the glass for some of the major Toyota dealers here in Houston... as dealerships don’t typically do glass themselves. Most have shops do it for them. I’ve talked with Austin, the owners son. He’s beyond knowledgeable about FJ’s and very nice. It’s not the cheapest price, but from talking with him I feel it’ll be done right.

Safe Tech Auto Glass
Austin Kilber, Operations Manager
main# 281-246-4444
cell# 713-398-6167
[email protected]

· Registered
2012 FJ Cruiser
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@KastYourself the links Hannibal provided are really informative. And Geoffrion7 is about spot on with the actual cost. The amount of labor and parts that go into an FJ’s windshield replacement is far above average.
It’s not so much that companies like safelite auto glass are bad. It’s just simply, does the actual tech working on your FJ have the experience and required parts to do the job right.
You can get a really good feel for a shops knowledge just by asking them to go over the quote with you. Example, if they tell you you’re just paying for glass and labor, you don’t want them working on your FJ. Same as if they tell you it’s just glass and the upper molding.
Ideally you want a shop that goes over all the required parts in their quote. You should see the upper molding, side clips along with the glass, and if needed the rubber trim at the base of the windshield. As a lot are dry rotted, or aren’t included with premium glass. You want them to be familiar with the vehicle, and telling you what’s needed. Not you explaining it to them.
To give you an example of how difficult FJ windshields really can be to do correctly. Take a look at this video. You’ll notice even as careful as this tech was, he still broke two clips on the upper molding. And while the video is only 20mins long, you can tell it took him several hours to complete the job. It’s a bright afternoon when he starts, early evening when he finished. Ask yourself, do you honestly think anyone would take that much care to do it right, even with aftermarket parts for anything under $500. If you read the comments you’ll actually see tech’s thanking him for making the video because they have never done an FJ windshield replacement... that says a lot.

Here in Houston, I’d personally go to SafeTech Auto Glass. It’s a local glass shop that does the glass for some of the major Toyota dealers here in Houston... as dealerships don’t typically do glass themselves. Most have shops do it for them. I’ve talked with Austin, the owners son. He’s beyond knowledgeable about FJ’s and very nice. It’s not the cheapest price, but from talking with him I feel it’ll be done right.

Safe Tech Auto Glass
Austin Kilber, Operations Manager
main# 281-246-4444
cell# 713-398-6167
[email protected]
I really appreciate this reply!!! I’ll go by SafeTech without a second thought. & yes after reading this thread and a little more research I acknowledged that I would be spending over $500 for this replacement. Even further, after watching YouTube videos I was able to weed out different shops when they couldn’t answer my questions!
thank you for this!

· Registered
411 Posts
Sounds like you researched/learned a lot. And yeah give Austin a call and see what you think. I actually called a few shops here in Houston, and wasn’t all that impressed until I spoke with him.

For me, the previous owner tried to do me a favor and have the glass replaced in California under her insurance. Unfortunately the shop completely butchered the job. I was lucky I didn’t lose a cowl, caught it just in time. Taped it down for the drive back to Texas. But what I found when I got home was extremely upsetting. So I didn’t mind calling around, because whenever this glass does break I’m going to need a good glass shop.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.